Thread: Differences between Henna and Cassia benefits?

Default Differences between Henna and Cassia benefits?

Hey there friends. Seeing as most of you here probably have experience using these two treatments, I thought this would be the best place to take my beginner's queries. Of course if my question can easily be answered in another thread, please direct me there and feel free to delete this one.

I know that in terms of color, Henna will dye the hair red and Cassia will bring out the golden tones, but I'm more curious as to the differences in how the two affect the health of the hair. Is one more conditioning than the other? Does one strengthen the strands more than the other? Does one last longer than the other in terms of conditioning and strengthening? Thank you for your replies in advance

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Differences between Henna and Cassia benefits?

(Disclaimer: I don't actually have experience with herbal colour/conditioning, I just find the science of it fascinating.)

Henna conditioning is twofold: the lawsone molecule (which is what gives the colour) binds to the keratin in the hair, conditioning and strengthening it structurally; this is usually permanent. The other part is the waxy/fatty acids from the outside of the leaf which coat the hair and provide some conditioning/strengthening benefits; this is temporary and wears off within a few weeks (depending on how and how often you wash your hair).

The conditioning from cassia is the same as the waxy/fatty acids from the henna; chrysophanic acid is the compound that gives the colour and that wears off within a few weeks (again, depending on your routine).

[Incidentally, I know you didn't mention it but sedr works the same as cassia but without the colour, as far as I understand. It's not often mentioned because people often want colour as well as conditioning.]

Our resident expert is Nightshade who can explain further if need be and fill in anything I've missed
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    (Disclaimer: I don't actually have experience with herbal colour/conditioning, I just find the science of it fascinating.)

Henna conditioning is twofold: the lawsone molecule (which is what gives the colour) binds to the keratin in the hair, conditioning and strengthening it structurally; this is usually permanent. The other part is the waxy/fatty acids from the outside of the leaf which coat the hair and provide some conditioning/strengthening benefits; this is temporary and wears off within a few weeks (depending on how and how often you wash your hair).

The conditioning from cassia is the same as the waxy/fatty acids from the henna; chrysophanic acid is the compound that gives the colour and that wears off within a few weeks (again, depending on your routine).

[Incidentally, I know you didn't mention it but sedr works the same as cassia but without the colour, as far as I understand. It's not often mentioned because people often want colour as well as conditioning.]

Our resident expert is Nightshade who can explain further if need be and fill in anything I've missed
    This is really helpful, thank you!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Henna thickened my individual strands, making them normal rather than fine. For a while that was nice, and I enjoyed the color as well; but that time is long gone.

Cassia never produced the same results as far as thickening, for me. But that's me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

The biggest difference for me is that henna, applied to my scalp, stops my scalp from itching for several weeks. Cassia does not.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Henna made my strands permanently thicker and the effect of cassia is temporary. Henna made my hair quite dry (very strengthening) and cassia is gentler and a bit more conditioning. In my opinion cassia is a weakened version of henna.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Both herbs behave differently to all hair. I use henna, it thickens my strands but makes my scalp itch and hair feel icky until some of the waxy coating washes away.

Cassia made my hair rough and dry for about a week then its back to normal.

Hm. I might try cassia some time; it sort of went off my radar after I started hennaing. I never noticed any thickening or strengthening effects from henna, probably because I put on one application for the color and only touch up my roots because I don't want the henna to get any darker. I wish I could get the permanent effects from cassia, though. I imagine it would get expensive if I had to do it every few weeks, which might be the other reason I never did it (along with not wanting to have to order it online).
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Both herbs behave differently to all hair. I use henna, it thickens my strands but makes my scalp itch and hair feel icky until some of the waxy coating washes away.

Cassia made my hair rough and dry for about a week then its back to normal.
    Henna and cassia cause itching in two situations: when you are allergic (then stop dyeing your hair immediately) or when it is rinsed poorly.
    Whenever I think it's enough, I rinse for another 2-3 minutes. The water must be perfectly clean. No particles.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I've never done henna dyeing, but sometimes I add a teaspoon to Cassia. I usually put on Cassia in winter. Makes it easier to take care of my hair. Henna and Cassia hair love proteins!