Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Hair Sticks (4'')

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Short Hair Sticks (4'')

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Hi! I don't know where you stand on the use of bone. However, if you are okay with using bone there are a lot of etsy vendors that sell large (3-5") bone needles.

Here is an example: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6746023..._profile&frs=1

Admittedly, they are a bit minimalist which is nice for me but not for everyone but I'm basically in love with the look.... now if only I could find a 5" one.
    Poke around. Some are wood.
    I wonder about durability and thickness on those.

my spur of the moment thought? Kids chopsticks.
    Last edited by truepeacenik; May 28th, 2020 at 01:46 PM.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post
    Poke around. Some are wood.
    I wonder about durability and thickness on those.
    My favorite hair stick to date was a 5.5" bone needle.

This one:

It was just barely thicker than my Quattro sticks and very sturdy for hair. Admittedly I dropped it on concrete one evening and the eye broke which was a major bummer.

I wish I still had it. The length was extra then but I could really use those extra inches now. I had one custom made... the shop did a gorgeous job but it just isn't the same.
    Last edited by jane_marie; May 28th, 2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Length
    24''/36''/40''
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Those bone ones are very nice! When they're sourced in a decent way, bone doesn't bother me. It's a beautiful material. I've been looking at some other bone sticks, but it's been hard finding good length ones. Needles are a good idea.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Larke View Post
    Those bone ones are very nice! When they're sourced in a decent way, bone doesn't bother me. It's a beautiful material. I've been looking at some other bone sticks, but it's been hard finding good length ones. Needles are a good idea.
    I'm glad I could help! If you do enough searching you can find them for a lot cheaper than the one I linked as well.

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I'm looking for some short hairsticks, maybe 4 inches or a little bit more. I have very fine hair and there's not a lot of it when it's gathered up in a bun, so the standard 6-7 inch sticks look rediculous. Besides that, I like sleeping with hairsticks, but I can't do that if they poke out every time I turn over. Unfortunately, short of getting them custom made, I haven't found any this short. Does anyone have suggestions for where I could find some? They don't have to be marketed as hair sticks as long as they keep my hair up. I've even thought of going to a hardware store and picking up extra long nails, but that's just not very romantic.

Thanks for reading!
    Hi Larke! Please check in the swap board my thread called "nesting sale", I have a few beautiful short sticks there (from woodeveriimagine shop on etsy)

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

also, outnumberednovelties on etsy custom makes acrylic sticks so you can choose your length and color. He has very reasonable prices and the DIY sticks are $10 a pair (not including shipping).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/OutNumbere...?ref=shop_sugg

I found some nice spiral bone hair sticks on ebay for a great price but every time I drop them they break. I file them but it's a pain.
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    24''/36''/40''
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've been looking at the DIY sticks for a long time, but I'm a little worried about the actual DIY part of it. I'm not great with that sort of work I'm afraid. I'll take another look at what's required to make them look nice, though.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

I've been looking at the DIY sticks for a long time, but I'm a little worried about the actual DIY part of it. I'm not great with that sort of work I'm afraid. I'll take another look at what's required to make them look nice, though.
    I just finished three of these. Just follow his instructions with the sanding paper he gives you and use tooth past to polish them to a glow.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

You don't have to choose DIY sticks, he does fully finished ones as well
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Larke you may also want to look into shawl pins, they're often shorter on average than hair sticks. You may also want to look at hair slides - some of them have very pretty sticks and those are also often on the shorter side. I actually just used the stick of one of my hair slides that's somewhere between 4" and 5" not including the decoration at the end as a shawl pin the other day, and I've considered using it alone without the outer slide part as well.