Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Toy Trends?

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair Toy Trends?

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Ninja View Post
    Didn't he close his shop? I think ONN is the new source for cheap acrylics since he doesn't have a waiting list anymore, and he has a bigger color selection and better customer service anyway.

LadyIduns were a Huge Deal a few years ago, but people don't seem to be so obsessive over them anymore.
    He recently reopened with his own website.

I don't see moons talked about as much these days.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by auburntressed View Post
    Speaking of old trends... does anyone have a good substitute for Ketylos, now that he is shut down? I would really like to get more something that is at least mostly comparable to ketylo. And what does ONN stand for? I could use some acrylics.
    ONN is Outnumbered Novelties. I have a couple of pairs and I really love them.

I have seen Ketylos and Lady Iduns on the swap board.
    Moons... that surprises me since it seems like there's a bit of a learning curve to using them. I've seen them pop up in discussion over the time I've been here but not a lot. Wasn't there a maker of moons who went out of business, too?
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I think there's definitely an availability thing that affects trends, when something is more difficult to get it generates more buzz around it, like Mamacats, Ficcares when they were almost out of business and the moons, before several people started making them.

I remember when spin pins first came out...they were "hair scroos" back then. We did a group order here. (I bought two, realized that wasn't enough, but they were A. expensive at that time and B. there was never another group order, so I never got more. I can't even remember now how or when I finally got rid of them... I'm not sure I ever even used them once.) I have to admit, they were heavier-duty/nicer than the ones you can get from Goody and such now.

Are Ficcares still popular?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Are we talking about old hairtoys or current hairtoys? I'm an old timer and I can sit and talk about hairtoy history for hours.

Basically the trend is going from limited choices to more variety and many vendors, from simple to complex, and cheaper to expensive toys over the past 14 years or so.

Toys people don't seem excited about any more:

Hair scroos (spin pins)
    Amish hairpins, Good Hair Days pins, Bunheads hair pins
    Vintage hair combs
    Beaded hairsticks (Mei Fa, Longlocks, Maiden's Treasure ...etc.)
    Plain wooden sticks and forks from many makers (i.e. Baerreis, Morgan's Mane)
    France Luxe (and other high-end) combs and claws
    Leather and other hair slides except Flexi (I once bought a leather slide Quattro and it nearly broke my heart, but looking at the prices of his other stuff it's not too bad.)
    Many metal hairtoys like bun cage by Bronze jeweller, titanium sticks by Argus, Ravenslair stuff. It's a shame because they're really works of art. Only Quattro seems to have persisted.
    Twisty hairtoys seems less popular now, like Ketylos or mamacat. I think they were meant to show off Dymondwood.

Ficcares stood the test of time it seems. I still have the first one I bought here on swap board 14 years ago and it's still good. Acrylic hair sticks and forks are not as hot as before but still beautiful and good value. "Common" hair accessories are never out of course. I'm sure everyone here have some hair ties, scrunchies, barrettes and headbands. But mostly I noticed hairtoys nowadays are pricy, exquisite and some are unimaginably beautiful. They entice people's desires and you can't just buy one. I try to resist the new vendors because I have so many hairtoys already. If I start buying from a vendor I might have to build a collection. I remember studying various exotic wood when they were popular. Then there were Dymondwood of various colors. Then came acrylics in every color imaginable. And of course Ficcares keep coming out with new colors and designs.

I would say hairtoys are fun and can be exciting, but they're addicting and can be dangerous for your bank account. Make sure you set a budget and do not go over it. Sure they have some values on the swap board but it's not a sure thing. Build up your emergency fund first. Sorry to be naggy. I really meant to say have fun collecting (but don't go over budget).

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Wow, this is all so interesting! (At least I think so-- hope it's not just me!)

sumidha, that definitely makes sense. Just like anything else, that limited availability really drives people's desire!

Kat-- when I went to Sally's looking for spin pins, they called them hair screws (or scroos, I guess). I do like mine but I'd be interested to see what the older ones were like.

sapphire-o-- Lots of those things you've listed seem to be the ones that either sit on the swaps FOREVER or someone comes and snatches them up super fast! It's so Interesting how that happens.

I had a couple of slides when I was younger, just from Claire's probably, nothing fancy. I could never get them to work right. But one was metal and the part you stuck a stick through was completely rigid. The only way I could get it to stay in my hair was over an elastic. The other one was "leather" and more flexible but still pretty picky about how much hair I put in it.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

In my restless dreams, I see that town...
    Length
    12/hip/Thigh
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I just looked up what a bun cage is and now I totally want one. These are so cool!

Maybe this thread will bring some trends back!
    Hovering at hip this year! Hip hip hooray!

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    Are we talking about old hairtoys or current hairtoys? I'm an old timer and I can sit and talk about hairtoy history for hours.

Basically the trend is going from limited choices to more variety and many vendors, from simple to complex, and cheaper to expensive toys over the past 14 years or so.

Toys people don't seem excited about any more:

Hair scroos (spin pins)
    Amish hairpins, Good Hair Days pins, Bunheads hair pins
    Vintage hair combs
    Beaded hairsticks (Mei Fa, Longlocks, Maiden's Treasure ...etc.)
    Plain wooden sticks and forks from many makers (i.e. Baerreis, Morgan's Mane)
    Leather and other hair slides except Flexi (I once bought a leather slide Quattro and it nearly broke my heart, but looking at the prices of his other stuff it's not too bad.)
    Many metal hairtoys like bun cage by Bronze jeweller, titanium sticks by Argus, Ravenslair stuff. It's a shame because they're really works of art. Only Quattro seems to have persisted.
    Twisty hairtoys seems less popular now, like Ketylos or mamacat. I think they were meant to show off Dymondwood.

Ficcares stood the test of time it seems. I still have the first one I bought here on swap board 14 years ago and it's still good. Acrylic hair sticks and forks are not as hot as before but still beautiful and good value. "Common" hair accessories are never out of course. I'm sure everyone here have some hair ties, scrunchies, barrettes and headbands. But mostly I noticed hairtoys nowadays are pricy, exquisite and some are unimaginably beautiful. They entice people's desires and you can't just buy one. I try to resist the new vendors because I have so many hairtoys already. If I start buying from a vendor I might have to build a collection. I remember studying various exotic wood when they were popular. Then there were Dymondwood of various colors. Then came acrylics in every color imaginable. And of course Ficcares keep coming out with new colors and designs.

I would say hairtoys are fun and can be exciting, but they're addicting and can be dangerous for your bank account. Make sure you set a budget and do not go over it. Sure they have some values on the swap board but it's not a sure thing. Build up your emergency fund first. Sorry to be naggy. I really meant to say have fun collecting (but don't go over budget).
    I don't know why twisty hairsticks went out of style. I loved my Ketylos early on in my LHC history. I wish I still had them.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I don't know why twisty hairsticks went out of style. I loved my Ketylos early on in my LHC history. I wish I still had them.
    Is anyone even making Ketylo-style sticks anymore?
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    13.5/18.25/24
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    A few years ago, I bought a big France Luxe claw on a whim using a gift card I'd received for Ulta. At the time, I was thinking it was too expensive and I should've bought more products instead. But that thing has lasted and is so much more comfortable and 'smooth' than the cheap claws I would get at the drugstore. The cheap claws are too scratchy on the ends and make my head itch, but that expensive one I can wear all day long.

If it's something you'll use a lot, it pays to splurge on the good things when you can.