Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brushing hair when wet

Default Brushing hair when wet

I'm attempting to grow my hair out so I'm following all the conventional hair tips. However, I'm struggling with one thing: not brushing my hair when wet. Ever since bleaching my hair it has become super tangle prone (my natural hair never had this problem) and the amount of conditioner I use never tends to help. I have just bought a leave in conditioner which I've never tried and bought a detangle hair brush but I really wanted to try only brushing my hair when dry. I tried this last week, but my hair will not dry if not brushed!! It just tangles up and all the knots hold the water and it will stay wet all day, its so annoying. If I brush my hair, my hair usually dries in around 30 minutes and it will also dry pin straight, so I have always brushed when wet.

Does anyone have any advice to deal with this? Is it really bad if I continue to brush my hair when wet? I'm really gentle and I take my time working my way from the bottom up and never rougly pull out knots or anything, but I know hair is at its weakest when wet...
    Thanks!

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Brushing hair when wet

What is your curl pattern? If you are a curly I think most curly haired folk on here do brush wet... I could be wrong.

Generally speaking, if you bleach and can't get your hair dry it's a sign that the hair is extremely damaged. I would be careful with it if you want to grow it out and if you have hair more on the straight side that means not brushing wet, wearing protective styles as often as possible (in and out of bed), and maybe even protein treatments if your hair can take it.

Someone please correct me if I am giving misinformation.

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I brush when wet. It's the only way I get a brush through my hair. I have loose curls that currently love to tangle. I also braid when wet to keep it straighter. Not that I hate my curls, but they make it difficult to put my hair up dry and I like having my hair up.

I use a wide tooth comb, but it's plastic and still has a seam. I'm not sure what kind of seamless comb to get for working with wet hair.
    Lady Morgan Lynn of the Winding Forest Paths in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lostchyld View Post
    I use a wide tooth comb, but it's plastic and still has a seam. I'm not sure what kind of seamless comb to get for working with wet hair.
    If you are up for it a comb made out of bone or horn would work well on wet hair. Etsy has some nice ones for cheap(ish).

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    If you are up for it a comb made out of bone or horn would work well on wet hair. Etsy has some nice ones for cheap(ish).
    do you have a favorite seller? The last time I ordered a bone comb, the seller hadn't sanded between the tines, so they tore my hair up worse than the seam on the plastic comb.
    Lady Morgan Lynn of the Winding Forest Paths in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    0"/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lostchyld View Post
    do you have a favorite seller? The last time I ordered a bone comb, the seller hadn't sanded between the tines, so they tore my hair up worse than the seam on the plastic comb.
    I have no suggestions unfortunately. I finger comb lightly while wet and use a sandalwood comb when it's dry.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Do you brush it before washing? I find that really helps with tangles and I don’t rough it up too much when washing either. Also I ‘dry’ it in a microfibre towel not a fluffy one to keep the hair follicles smoother. No rubbing with the towel, squeeze water out with hands then I put it up in a turban for 10 mins or so. I use a very wide tooth wooden comb on damp hair, not a brush. My hair is bra to mid-back length and dries really quick, 45-60 mins tops, but I do water only washing and that has made the drying time unreal.

I missed a few details! So, my hair is super straight and has literally no curl pattern at all, I believe its just super tangley from having coloured and bleached it in the past. It's not horrendously damaged or obviously fried as I always went to a good salon, however, a few years of hair bleaching, professional or not, has obviously dried it out a lot and is bound to change the quality.
    I ALWAYS brush my hair before getting it wet, be it swimming or washing it etc. If I don't, my hair is impossible to brush when wet and will just take too long to dry. I also just find it easier to have no tangles before my shower so that when I condition I know I've gone through my hair thoroughly without struggling. I never, ever rough up my hair with a towel or use them to make a turban. I also use as microfibre hair towel as Feral stated instead. When I get out the shower, I usually squeeze the water out my hair gently and put it in a microfibre hair turban. I then take it out about 15 minutes later and apply hair oils or serums etc. in an effort to make the hair easier to brush, and then detangle and brush it. I have tried using wide tooth combs before, but I don't really feel they work well for me as my hair doesn't get individual knots, its more like all my strands velcro together because they are dried and slightly rough from bleaching. I find it a lot easier to apply a lot of oils/detangler etc. and to then use a detangler brush from my ends and work my way up. This doesn't take me very long and I can generally get rid of all the tangles quite easily and my hair will then dry a lot quicker!

Another note - I notice a lot of people that recommend actually letting the hair half dry and then brushing it, because your hair isn't as wet and vulnerable.. but I HATE doing this!! I find that my wet strands will all interwine and become super stretchy and snap and just stick to the dry strands. It's generally a lot easier to go through my hair when wet and just be gentle, but I know this is advised against

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I don't see the relation between long hair and brushing it wet. I have WL hair, very healthy and I have a lot of hair (my ends are pretty full), and I brush it wet everyday.
    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL?
    GOAL ACHIEVED: Gave up dye on April 24, 2016. Very last trim to get a full head of natural hair on May 30, 2019