Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brushing hair when wet

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Brushing hair when wet

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I shall leave Firefox to explain but wanted to leave this good article here https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...e-18-mea-layer
    Ah, thank you so much. That'll help.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I brush in the shower with a Tangle Teezer and conditioner, then after rinsing I use a Tangle Teezer to distribute my leave-in, also. Between the gentleness of the TT brush and the slip of the conditioner, it's very gentle on my hair. (I gained well over a foot of length after switching to this method, plus quitting shampoo and CO-washing instead.)

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I comb wet after washing it because I donít need the fight that will result if I donít. My hair dries in ringlets; and given half a chance and no detangle, it will form long, thin, locs without any prompting...which I than have to try and remove. So I detangle dry before washing it, detangle wet/damp after washing...and occasionally run a tangle teaser through in the shower under running water if I think itís necessary.

Yes, on the whole, hair is more fragile when itís wet. Itís also more pliant. Itís why overnight curls are usually done on wet hair, the strands arenít as likely to fight you. Sometimes the risk of breakage is worth the avoidance of tangles later on. Honestly, itís about figuring what works, what doesnít, and which battle you would prefer to skip. For myself in your shoes, I would comb gently while wet and skip the tangled mess from waiting until itís dry...which is largely what youíre already doing.
    ​So...knee?

Somewhere outside of the Milky Way galaxy
    Length
    0.7/25/45
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hi! A fellow wet-brusher here! I have 2b/c hair, so I choose to brush when wet. If you're careful, and you brush your hair out before getting into the shower when it's dry, it isn't too damaging. Brush your hair starting from the bottom and use a detangler as well. I also reccomend a Wet Brush or Tangle Teezer in the place of other paddle brushes.
    However, from what you've said, it seems like your hair is very damaged. Bleach makes hair very porous, so that's likely why your hair has been drying so slowly. I would reccomend an Olaplex treatment and a lot of deep conditioning. I would also reccomend spreading out your wash days as long as you can. Good luck! Bleached hair can be difficult to manage.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by momao View Post
    Hi! A fellow wet-brusher here! I have 2b/c hair, so I choose to brush when wet. If you're careful, and you brush your hair out before getting into the shower when it's dry, it isn't too damaging. Brush your hair starting from the bottom and use a detangler as well. I also reccomend a Wet Brush or Tangle Teezer in the place of other paddle brushes.
    However, from what you've said, it seems like your hair is very damaged. Bleach makes hair very porous, so that's likely why your hair has been drying so slowly. I would reccomend an Olaplex treatment and a lot of deep conditioning. I would also reccomend spreading out your wash days as long as you can. Good luck! Bleached hair can be difficult to manage.
    That's how I'm doing it. Tangle teezer (knock-off) right before the wash, ends up. And then once it is detangled: wash. Then after it comes out the towel, I damp-detangle with a wet brush (knock-off) and then put/scrunch my stylers in.

Once I learned to work with my hair and not against it: game changer!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/MBL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I like to brush my hair when wet. I have a good detangling conditioner that works like a charm. When I get out of the shower after itís been up in a towel I brush it first with a wide tooth comb, then my tangle teezer(boy has that been my savior). I canít stand tangly and messy hair when itís trying to dry.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous View Post
    I'm attempting to grow my hair out so I'm following all the conventional hair tips. However, I'm struggling with one thing: not brushing my hair when wet. Ever since bleaching my hair it has become super tangle prone (my natural hair never had this problem) and the amount of conditioner I use never tends to help. I have just bought a leave in conditioner which I've never tried and bought a detangle hair brush but I really wanted to try only brushing my hair when dry. I tried this last week, but my hair will not dry if not brushed!! It just tangles up and all the knots hold the water and it will stay wet all day, its so annoying. If I brush my hair, my hair usually dries in around 30 minutes and it will also dry pin straight, so I have always brushed when wet.

Does anyone have any advice to deal with this? Is it really bad if I continue to brush my hair when wet? I'm really gentle and I take my time working my way from the bottom up and never rougly pull out knots or anything, but I know hair is at its weakest when wet...
    Thanks!
    I would try not brushing your hair all use a wide tooth comb or large pick. Wet or dry should be fine if you start gently from the bottom up.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by momao View Post

I am not a fan of wet brushes and not because they don't work, they do. I just feel as if its brushing right over the top of my head. I like to feel my brushes in the scalp. I only use a wide tooth comb. Wet or dry. Unless I'm styling. Occasionally I will use a paddle brush or bbb before washing if I have product build up.

I second an Olaplex treatment and a lot of deep conditioning.

Length
    pixie/CBL/WL+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I only brush my hair just before I wash it.Brushing it while it's wet makes my hair break off.

Length
    Bob/FTL/Term

For me, brushing hair when wet is an absolute must otherwise knots gets caught in shape forever ! I don't really "brush" though : I use a wide tooth comb or a "wet brush".
    Bzzzzzz...