Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brushing hair when wet

Default Re: Brushing hair when wet

Quote Originally Posted by Xlena View Post
    I don't see the relation between long hair and brushing it wet. I have WL hair, very healthy and I have a lot of hair (my ends are pretty full), and I brush it wet everyday.
    I've heard that wet hair is more suceptable to breakage because its in a weaker state so people advise to not brush it, but I feel I probably have less breakage by being gentle when its wet rather than trying to deal with the unruly knots I would then get once it dries!

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

If your hair gets into a terrible tangle if you don't brush it while wet, but dries straight with no issues if you do, then it sounds like brushing while wet is probably the right thing to do.

The only issue (and presumably your underlying concern) would be if you are damaging the hair while doing this, by snapping it when you hit a tangle or possibly stretching it (if this is how bleached hair behaves). If you pay really close attention while brushing your hair, and do it slowly enough, you'll be able to tell if you're damaging it - you'll feel it snag or hear it snap.

Don't worry about following all the conventional hair advice. Part of the fun is experimenting with what works for you, over time. My hair is straight and I regularly comb it while wet, using a wide-toothed comb followed by a fine-toothed comb.
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

Quote Originally Posted by barnet_fair View Post
    If your hair gets into a terrible tangle if you don't brush it while wet, but dries straight with no issues if you do, then it sounds like brushing while wet is probably the right thing to do.

The only issue (and presumably your underlying concern) would be if you are damaging the hair while doing this, by snapping it when you hit a tangle or possibly stretching it (if this is how bleached hair behaves). If you pay really close attention while brushing your hair, and do it slowly enough, you'll be able to tell if you're damaging it - you'll feel it snag or hear it snap.

Don't worry about following all the conventional hair advice. Part of the fun is experimenting with what works for you, over time. My hair is straight and I regularly comb it while wet, using a wide-toothed comb followed by a fine-toothed comb.
    Thanks for your advice, I agree with what you've said. I use a detangling brush so it has very small, wide space bristles that are very flexible and short. When it hits a tangle, it pretty much just flops out and can't snag it. Plus, I always start right at the ends of my hair and work my way up a centimetre or so each time, as my hair is so fine it doesnt take me too long but I can make sure I'm not dragging through a lot of knots

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Sounds like your in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If you're finding it's causing the least damage, carry on, maybe get yourself a nice wet brush to minimize the damage. Your does sound severely bleach damaged however, so it's almost inevitable that most of it will break off over time.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I comb only when wet and it usually to distribute conditioner or I use the tangle teaser.
    Once my hair is completely dry I brush it with an MP brush to put it up in a bun or back in braids.

Length
    Waist/Thigh/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I had that velcro feel to my hair. I found that deep conditioning removed most of it. I've recently discovered that switching to a conditioner with protein got rid of the last of it, and it is currently keeping the velcro at bay. So if you haven't already my suggestion would be to try one of those options.

Length
    BSL/BCL/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

There are a few good brush options for wet detangling on the market. Wet brush, con air, tangle teezer... You already said you are very gentle when brushing wet so go for it, and my advice would be to look into a good wet detangling brush.

Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

For me if I don't detangle it when it has conditioner on it turns into a bird's nest when dry. I detangle with a wooden wide tooth comb from thebodyshop (careful not to leave it in the bathtub as it will bend and even fall apart) while the conditioner is acting. Then I rinse it carefully making sure the hairs stay aligned so as to not cause tangles and use my fingers to make sure it's all neat. I do no detangling after that and let it dry and don't have much in the way of tangles after.

Maybe try doing it this way. Just be careful with the wooden comb, it doesn't like getting soaked though it's ok with being wet from my hair

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

What's most important is that you brush GENTLY, be it dry or wet. If brushing wet allows you to be more gentle with your hair then I definitely believe that is the right way to go.

I don't see a problem with your way of doing things.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I detangle prior to washing, which I would recommend to anyone, whether you leave it dry or spritz it a bit damp, to be able to get through the knots before you hit that drain, is awesome! Saves your drain and makes the entire washing process so much easier.

After the wash, my hair goes into the towel for quite some time, but once it gets out, then I damp-detangle it (wet brush dupe) right before I put/scrunch in my stylers.

Maybe detangling before washing it is something to consider, for me it was life-changing! Saved me so many tangles!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)