Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: How the media makes long hair look

  1. #31
    Member lilbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ancient World
    Posts
    39
    Length
    Bob/FTL/Term

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    With this fashion of extensions, weaves and wigs, everybody now can get the lush, thick, flowing super sleek long hair of their dreams whenever they want, provided they can afford it. No patience and care involved. So who will understand you want to grow your own out, knowing how long it will take ? Consequence : no one knows anymore what natural long hair really looks like, and even to which extend it is achievable. So when you grow your own hair out, you have people coming up to tell you you should flat-iron your frizzy mess so it looks decent (but no problem if you pay to get a messy look on purpose). Or ask why you would grow out your graying hair (but no problem if you dye it white, blue or green on purpose). Or why you would grow out your pitiful thin hair (but no problem if wearing tons of someone else's hair on your head). Or explain you should trim every 6 weeks because there is NO WAY you can sport those dreadful splitful rat-tails and hope it looks good ! They know nothing about natural taper, except that if you have it it necessarily means your hair is damaged (but no problem if you ask a layered V-cut to achieve the same look on purpose).

    So basically, if your hair is naturally doing its thing, it's negected and bad looking. But if you pay a huge pile of money to achieve whatever fake expensive ridiculous look, it's ok (= acceptable and stylish). Go figure !...
    Bzzzzzz...

  2. #32
    Member illicitlizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    'Straya
    Age
    24
    Posts
    471
    Length
    0.5/APL/HL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    lilbee that's a good point. I agree there is a double standard, things only being allowed to look intentional if people know you spent money and intent on them rather than intentionally letting your hair be(e).
    I used to also never question celebs with long hair, just thought it was their's and it made me feel a bit annoyed that my hair didn't look that perfect. Knowing it's an illusion is massively comforting!
    Natural colour is boring 'shapeless' cuts without 'movement' are boring, makes it pretty hard to have long hair... Gotta just ignore the general consensus in this case I reckon. Do what makes you happy.
    Wish people wouldn't rag on long hair so much though.
    No trim first half of 2020; No dye until 2022.

  3. #33
    I have Houdini-hair TatsuOni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,530
    Length
    0.25/48/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    Quote Originally Posted by lilbee View Post
    With this fashion of extensions, weaves and wigs, everybody now can get the lush, thick, flowing super sleek long hair of their dreams whenever they want, provided they can afford it. No patience and care involved. So who will understand you want to grow your own out, knowing how long it will take ? Consequence : no one knows anymore what natural long hair really looks like, and even to which extend it is achievable. So when you grow your own hair out, you have people coming up to tell you you should flat-iron your frizzy mess so it looks decent (but no problem if you pay to get a messy look on purpose). Or ask why you would grow out your graying hair (but no problem if you dye it white, blue or green on purpose). Or why you would grow out your pitiful thin hair (but no problem if wearing tons of someone else's hair on your head). Or explain you should trim every 6 weeks because there is NO WAY you can sport those dreadful splitful rat-tails and hope it looks good ! They know nothing about natural taper, except that if you have it it necessarily means your hair is damaged (but no problem if you ask a layered V-cut to achieve the same look on purpose).

    So basically, if your hair is naturally doing its thing, it's negected and bad looking. But if you pay a huge pile of money to achieve whatever fake expensive ridiculous look, it's ok (= acceptable and stylish). Go figure !...
    Very well written!


    Home is where the heart is


  4. #34
    Member Lucy McLucyFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    143
    Length
    25/30/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    lilbee Very well said and also I love bees.
    The first time I realized this was when I was 15 and looked up hair tutorials on YouTube to give my straight hair some waves and all I found were girls with naturally wavy hair straightening it and then giving it waves again with a curling iron. I was so confused as to why someone would go through all that trouble to get what they already had

  5. #35
    Member lilbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Ancient World
    Posts
    39
    Length
    Bob/FTL/Term

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy McLucyFace View Post
    lilbee Very well said and also I love bees.
    The first time I realized this was when I was 15 and looked up hair tutorials on YouTube to give my straight hair some waves and all I found were girls with naturally wavy hair straightening it and then giving it waves again with a curling iron. I was so confused as to why someone would go through all that trouble to get what they already had
    Yessss ! There are people who DO straighten their wavy or curly hair to wave it or curl it again in order to get "sleek curls", lol. Or even straighten their already straight hair, in order to get the XXIth century fashionable "plastic look". Looking un-natural is always better !

    I personally love my frizz : it adds some much appreciated volume to my hair, and I think it's kinda cute too (which was what people thought when I was young, so I guess I have not evolved). Maybe that's why I love lil bees too, haha
    Bzzzzzz...

  6. #36
    shapenote singer embee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    at a singing!
    Posts
    13,372
    Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    Quote Originally Posted by lilbee View Post
    I personally love my frizz : it adds some much appreciated volume to my hair, and I think it's kinda cute too (which was what people thought when I was young, so I guess I have not evolved). Maybe that's why I love lil bees too, haha
    Good to see this. I've always appreciated frizz for the volume it seems to give me and the softening near my face. Also it reminds me of cat's fur in sunlight... fluff, soft, appealing.

    As for the flatironing fad, I don't get it. "Plastic look" describes the result quite nicely.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

  7. #37
    Member Lucy McLucyFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    143
    Length
    25/30/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: How the media makes long hair look

    That extra bit of volume is always nice. When I was younger I had almost 1a texture and I couldn't stand how flat my hair looked against my head. One advantage of ending up with more coarse and thick strands as I grow up is having the bit of volume I wanted.
    But the people who straighten and then curl their hair again even put products on to lift their roots to create volume, it's absurd!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •