Thread: Using Amla powder after dying hair with henna.

Length
    12/12/20

Default Using Amla powder after dying hair with henna.

Hi, apologies if this question has been already asked already but I was wondering if using an Amla hair mask would change the colour of my recently hennaed hair? I dyed it with a 50% henna 50 % cassia mix on Saturday and love the colour. However my hair feels a little dry and some of the curls around the base of my neck have relaxed. I miss them so was wondering if Amla powder would help but I don't want to lose my hair colour. Does anyone have experience of using it and if so did it change the colour of your hair? Thanks

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: Using Amla powder after dying hair with henna.

I don’t have experience directly, but I believe I have read that with post-henna applications, amla may change the color if henna hasn’t finished oxidizing yet. Others have said even after oxidizing amla can give ashy tones to hennaed hair. I use amla in my shampoo and don’t have comparison to with-or without amla in shampoo but I can see how my hair would have ashy tones. Still red/auburn but ashy too

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I have always used Amla WITH my cassia/ henna mix; to tone down the ORANGE! effect. I feel like it does that fairly well
    BUT
    I have done simple wash muds and/ or conditioning muds containing Amla, without noticing any change at all in color.
    Personally, I would not expect much change. Let us know, cause everybody's hair is different. Good luck getting your desired result!

Length
    12/12/20

Thanks to both of you for your replies I went for it and my hair feels really lovely and soft now. Some of the orange luminosity of the henna has gone but that's fine. It was a little vibrant in places! I'll definitely keep up with the Amla hair masks. I did put in lots of olive oil though so I think that helped too.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I’m glad it worked for you! What is your method for using an amla mask?

Length
    SL/WL/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

It turned my henna quite brown - but you’ve already done it with no ill effects. I’m always amazed at how differently these herbal hair things work on different heads ��

Length
    12/12/20

Hi Jane99, I just guessed how much of everything I needed so it was a little haphazard! I put in some water to mix and then added lots of olive oil. I covered with a shower cap and left for around 40 mins.

Length
    12/12/20

I love the colour of your hair flickm, it really suits you. I definitely noticed some effect from the Amla but luckily it didn't turn my hair brown.

Length
    SL/WL/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Oh thanks! I’ve lightened it since my sig photo was taken, it’s more like my avatar now. It was too dark for my winter skin. I’m glad the amla worked for you

Banned
    Length
    18/24/30
    Type
    1b/F/i

I like the color of your movie, it really suits you. I definitely noticed some kind of effect from Amla, but, fortunately, it did not turn my hair into neon.

Spam lovers dot com
    Last edited by Chromis; June 18th, 2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Removed spam link - Mod