Thread: Brand new member - my hair story

Smile Brand new member - my hair story

Hey guys, new member here so thought I would come and introduce myself and my hair story. My hair is currently ďlongĒ (not as long as Iíd like it, and definitely not as long as hair Iíve seen on here!) and artificially coloured dark brown. As for my hair type, Iíve always had very oily skin and hair so my hair gets greasy quite often and it is really fine, flat and straight.
    Iíve been dying my hair for as long as I can remember, my natural colour is a very ashy, medium mousey brown and I remember hating it as a kid because I thought it was so boring. Iím not sure of my exact age, but Iím pretty sure I began dying my hair at around age 12! I had a family member who was a hairdresser that came over and bleached my hair for me when I first ever changed the colour at such a young age. I also remember using a temporary blue hair dye and dip dying my hair not too long after. Eventually, the bleach faded, and my hair became a very warm, orange toned colour which I also hated as I often got bullied for being ginger (I was still quite young at this stage). I then decided to box dye my hair at home with a dark brown colour, it looked nice but obviously box dyes are very damaging, and it didnít last long on top of the bleach. Eventually, this faded and became orange toned again!
    I hated my hair colour again when this happened and decided I need a change; this is when I found my love for blonde. At first, I only had a plant extract balayage done that was very soft and natural. This faded quick again as it was not bleach and thatís when I decided I wanted to go blonde all over. I found a reputable hairdresser and tried to show her a photo of what I wanted, she seemed very ignorant, didnít even look at the photo. However, at the end of that appointment my hair was 100 beautiful shades of white and platinum, I was so happy! This began my addiction to being the blondest I could beÖ
    I typically hold off salon appointments for as long as I physically can, due to money and the fact I prefer my hair growing rather than cutting it so frequently. My natural brown roots came through about 4 inches before I decided I drastically needed another highlight session. I went back again, was given a different hairdresser, and she gave me very soft, natural highlights that I wasnít satisfied with as I wanted to be a very bright platinum blonde. She did another head of highlights and I settled for it this time, but I still wasnít happyÖ Thatís when I went home and did my own highlights using an at home bleach kit. I now know that I used a kit that provides 40 volume developer and I bleached over pre-lightened hair, so I can only imagine the damage that did.
    I was addicted to being a platinum blonde for about two years. When I say addicted, I NEVER felt satisfied with the lightness of my hair. I constantly had a violet scalp from overusing purple shampoos, toners and temporary colours to try and brighten my hair. This is when I realised I could have my hair silver or lilac, and so I often abused my hair with purple products alternating between the different types of colours I could use. This phase wore off and I wanted platinum again, so I found a new salon which was amazing, they included a PH bonder in all their bleach and took the safest steps to making me blonde.
    Once I went to university I kept my blonde for a few months and decided its too much maintenance and money, especially for a student. I was also sick of having dry hair that broke every time I brushed it, and it was always matte and lacked any shine. This is when I looked into other colours and decided I would like to go dark, as Iíd been blonde for years now. I went to the salon again and had my hair filled, treated, and dyed chocolate brown with semi-permanent colour. This was done a couple times, and that brings me to where we are nowÖ
    I am now deeply regretting all the strain I put my hair through. It doesnít appear particularly damaged and by this point Iíve had enough salon appointments to rid most of my split ends, but I know my hair isnít what it could be. My natural hair is very shiny, straight and sleek with a super soft feel. My hair is now dry and not as sleek as it once was, plus Iíve lost a lot of length having to get it trimmed so much. Iíve come to the realisation that no matter what colour I have, Iím never satisfied as I always go to an extreme and it tends to just damage my hair. I would much rather just grow out my hair and have soft, healthy hair because at this point, I think health would look a lot better than colour. Throughout this journey I also embraced my natural hair style, when I was younger I was so jealous of the volume and body that my friends had in their hair. I tried all types and brands of volumizing products and my hair would never lift off my head or even hold a curl; I could literally sleep in a damp braid and it still comes out straight! I gave up on forcing volume and realised, I have perfectly straight natural hair and I also realised I really like that look. My natural, air dried hair literally looks like its had a straightener run through it, so why am I even damaging it with products, heat and dye anyway?
    So, my new goal is to restore my hair to its natural colour that I havenít seen for so long, and with that, bring back its natural health. Thatís what brings me to this forum, Iím hoping to learn a lot about hair care and how I can moisturise my hair and bring it back to its previous state. Iíve decided to take the switch to all natural products as it makes me cringe imagining the chemicals that I loaded my hair with during my blonde stage. If anyone has any advice or tips, feel free to tell me and thanks for welcoming me to your forum!

Default Re: Brand new member - my hair story

My damaged blonde hair when I realised I needed to stop bleaching it:

My brown hair (what it looks like now):

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous View Post
    My damaged blonde hair when I realised I needed to stop bleaching it:

My brown hair (what it looks like now):
    Images dont seem to be working for me so,
    my old blonde hair: https://imgur.com/a/kOwZ8eq
    My new brown hair: https://imgur.com/a/miaV1mS

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome to the forum. Your hair looks lovely!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    HL/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Welcome!

I'm also growing out bleach right now because I was chronically unhappy with the colour. It was causing me more stress than joy - not because my hair was particularly damaged but because the colour never looked as pristine as I wanted it to. Now I'm so in love with how my virgin hair feels and just can't wait to get more of it.

Your hair looks very pretty!
    ”snjallr maūr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann viū vŪg varask;
    en elli gefr hŠnum engi friū, Ģůtt hŠnum geirar gefi.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome to the forum. You have the kind of hair I have always wanted
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Thank you all for welcoming me! Wow, I aspire to have hair the length of all yours lol.

Length
    SL/23/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Welcome to the forum!

Length
    0.25/48/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!