Thread: Silver hair, natural care

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Silver hair, natural care

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    You’re right, a purple mask would be better. I’ll have to figure out how to make something like that. Thanks for your thoughts.
    You could put a drop or two of the right tone deposit-only (veggie) dye into a conditioner or mask, if you wanted.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    You could put a drop or two of the right tone deposit-only (veggie) dye into a conditioner or mask, if you wanted.
    Where (in what type of shop) would I find deposit-only dye? Not absolutely sure if I understand what you mean, to be honest. My English isn’t good enough.

Today I’m thinking about simply trying out watercolours on some strands that are more white/red. I remember my sister dyed her light blond hair with watercolours for a carnival once. She was ten at the time. Some colour remained for ever.
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Deposit dyes are dyes that have no ammonia nor peroxide. They don't open the cuticles, and don't fix the pigment inside the hair. They just leave a layer of pigment on the surface.
    As such, deposit dyes tend to fade over time, unless your hair Is very porous and damaged.
    Basically they are a tinted conditioner! There are a lot of brands nowadays... Stargazer, Directions La Riche, Pravana's Vivids line, Overtone, Headshot, Artic Fox

I'd look first at beauty supplies store. I usually buy mines on internet... Better prices and more options

Watercolors sound fun! Let us know how it goes
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; May 8th, 2020 at 02:41 AM.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Yes, what SleepyTangles said I bought mine off the internet - I would have absolutely no idea where to start looking in physical shops for them!

Edit: I thought that if you tinted a conditioner with a tiny amount of one it might give you the toning effect you want without actually changing your hair colour, and if it didn't work well enough the first time you could try slightly stronger until you get the effect you want
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Deposit dyes are dyes that have no ammonia nor peroxide. They don't open the cuticles, and don't fix the pigment inside the hair. They just leave a layer of pigment on the surface.
    As such, deposit dyes tend to fade over time, unless your hair Is very porous and damaged.
    Basically they are a tinted conditioner! There are a lot of brands nowadays... Stargazer, Directions La Riche, Pravana's Vivids line, Overtone, Headshot, Artic Fox

I'd look first at beauty supplies store. I usually buy mines on internet... Better prices and more options

Watercolors sound fun! Let us know how it goes
    Ah. Thanks for the excellent explanation. It all makes perfect sense.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Yes, what SleepyTangles said I bought mine off the internet - I would have absolutely no idea where to start looking in physical shops for them!

Edit: I thought that if you tinted a conditioner with a tiny amount of one it might give you the toning effect you want without actually changing your hair colour, and if it didn't work well enough the first time you could try slightly stronger until you get the effect you want
    Yes, that is a good way to go for me. Not so risky. I just need to find the right product.

Length
    1/3.5/12
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I did this with great success, with some vegetable based dye a few years back. I can't remember the name and no longer have the bottle but it's definitely a way to keep colour fresh. I would put it in first, then do all my shaving etc so it got a little longer on my hair.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Razzles View Post
    I did this with great success, with some vegetable based dye a few years back. I can't remember the name and no longer have the bottle but it's definitely a way to keep colour fresh. I would put it in first, then do all my shaving etc so it got a little longer on my hair.
    Good to hear. I will definitely give it a go. Now where to find vegetable based dye.