Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The French twist thread

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: The French twist thread

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Thyme View Post
    I don't do French twists very often, but it's a great and elegant look! I have a few French twist combs, but unfortunately for me I have to twist the opposite way of what I intuitively want to do when I use them, or I'll end with some upside-down hummingbirds and such

Edit to add: It's also amazingly efficient at hiding vast amounts of hair, and slightly better than a great, big LWB in terms of not getting in the way when sitting in a car seat with a headrest.
    I think the main reason I hardly ever do them is that I don't have the heart to put my combs to everyday use.
    Bring out your FT combs, Miss Thyme! Life is too short not to use our good things on a regular basis.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by purple_omelette View Post
    Thanks for this thread! I've been wanting to learn how to do a French twist for a while and simply can't seem to get the hang of it
    You're very welcome! I suggest watching tons of Youtube videos and seeing which technique works best for you at your current hair length. I say current because you may have to adapt your technique as your hair grows. I know I did. Also, practice, practice, practice. My first attempts at a FT were laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Yes, I love them, and use them often. Unfortunately I can barely do anything with my hair right now as I woke up with a terribly stiff and sore neck and putting my hair up this morning was torture.

If this might help someone, I have a FT tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLV...ature=youtu.be
    I'm so sorry to hear about your neck pain, Sarahlabyrinth.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    The french twist is my favorite up-do!
    spidermom, I bet your hair looks fabulous in a FT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    Beautiful! I love the elegance of a French twist, particularly with a comb specifically created for one. Alas, my slick hair rarely complies for long.

This normal twisting technique doesn't work well for me. My thigh length hair holds marginally better if I crochet a couple of chains into the bottom half and then roll everything up and sideways with chopsticks. The pins seem to grab better that way before everything droops.
    Interesting idea of crocheting the bottom half, Cg!

Length
    twa/twa/waist
    Type
    4a/4b/F/ii/iii

Neoma, you made me smile with that comment.

TWA has become the accepted name for a very short afro. But yes, it can sound quite comical.

I can not WAIT to be able to put my hair up on a regular basis with pretty toys. I shall content myself with scarves for now and convince myself they are a hair toy.
    TWA (teeny weeny afro).......Shoulders (stretched).......APL (stretched)

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lanalavallama View Post

TWA has become the accepted name for a very short afro. But yes, it can sound quite comical.

I can not WAIT to be able to put my hair up on a regular basis with pretty toys. I shall content myself with scarves for now and convince myself they are a hair toy.
    They ARE a hair toy!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I often have trouble with the part where you double back and tuck the hair into the fold. I end up with something on top of my head that reminds me of a floppy cockscomb (on top of a rooster's head).

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lanalavallama View Post

Ha! I didn't know that, Lanalavallama! I like it!

I'll bet that you could use decorative bobby pins and barrettes in your TWA in the meantime.

They ARE a hair toy!
    I agree, Sarahlabyrinth!

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I often have trouble with the part where you double back and tuck the hair into the fold. I end up with something on top of my head that reminds me of a floppy cockscomb (on top of a rooster's head).
    I used to have the same problem, spidermom. When I use the method where the hair is doubled over to make the twist, kind of like you're going to do a log roll, I can control how high the top is.

I looked like a dinosaur with a crest when I first started making FT's.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Alas. When I do this, my hair is not thick enough to properly cover the tucked-in part. It can't spread out nicely along the length of the twist.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I love my France Luxe FT combs so much that I decided to buy two more today while they're still on sale. I ordered one in caramal horn and one in Nacro ivory.

Length
    12/24in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Yes, I love them, and use them often. Unfortunately I can barely do anything with my hair right now as I woke up with a terribly stiff and sore neck and putting my hair up this morning was torture.

If this might help someone, I have a FT tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOLV...ature=youtu.be

Sarahlabyrinth
    , your hair is sooo beautiful, healthy and silky! And the color... sigh.

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    You're very welcome! I suggest watching tons of Youtube videos and seeing which technique works best for you at your current hair length. I say current because you may have to adapt your technique as your hair grows. I know I did. Also, practice, practice, practice. My first attempts at a FT were laughable.
    Thank you Yes, I think I need more practice. I have a similar issue to other people here, where I end up with a floppy mop of hair on top of my head when I'm finished! I also don't have a french twist comb, as I can't seem to find any sellers here in Australia, and shipping from overseas always costs an arm and a leg down here. At the moment, I'm trying to 'pin' my various creations with a two-pronged, simple brass hair fork stuck in at the top. Success is variable....
    - I will cut my hair once I am defeated in battle -
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights