Thread: Activated charcoal (and henna?)

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Activated charcoal (and henna?)

Hi everyone!!

I was wondering, anyone have experience with activated charcoal and henna? I ordered some charcoal for natural deodorant making purposes and the internet says it can be used to clarify hair which mine may benefit from.

I found one old post from years ago on here with someone stating that charcoal may have removed some of their henna but there was no resolution, they never said if it re-oxidized darker or not. So I’m now reluctant to try activated charcoal in my hair.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge if activated charcoal will remove henna from hair or not?

or any opinions/experiences with activated charcoal on hair in general? If one should moisturize afterwards or not leave it in too long etc? Did it turn your hair to straw? Any good recipes or procedures?

thanks

Length
    SL/WL/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Activated charcoal (and henna?)

My guess is it would have the ability to strip some henna as it claims to work on a deep level. Henna is supposedly permanent but I’ve removed some with vitamin c, and also with honey in the past. Chlorine faded mine a lot when I was swimming too. I also had to stop using rhassoul clay as it was stripping my henna. I’m also guessing it would darken your hair temporarily till all the charcoal washed out.

I have no idea re: henna, but I do know that there are very different grits of activated charcoal and some are incredibly abrasive, so unless you know the exact grittiness, I would hesitate to put this on hair.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Safer to just buy a bottle of clarifying shampoo. I like suave daily clarifying, its cheap and works well.

If you need a chelating shampoo, joico clarifying is the best

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Thanks for the replies! I have not tried the charcoal because I like the henna color I have. I probably do need to clarify or chelate... I have very hard water. If I do end up trying the AC I will post updates here