Page 300 of 404 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 4040

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Any tips on how to navigate around the teeth and/or what grit to buy?
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It depends on how wide the space between the tines is. If the space is very small, fold and tear* the sandpaper into strips so that you can place the sandpaper between the tines and hold it on either side comfortably, brace the comb between your knees or use a vice/clamp that is padded so it won't scratch the comb so you can use both hands on the sandpaper. Move the paper back and forth and up and down the tines.

If the space is wide enough, wrapping the sandpaper around a strong object that fits in the space will make smoothing the area where the tines meet the body of the comb much easier, especially if the object is the same shape as that gap (but smaller) so you can really reach all surfaces. If you happen to have a hobby model shop nearby, they should have very small sandpaper rods for getting into tight spaces, but you can improvise well enough. Think about what you have on hand between the diameter of a toothpick and a pencil.

For grit, 220 should do the trick, but depending on the amount of roughness, if it isn't smoothing down fairly easily starting with 120 or 180 will make life easier. 220 is "smooth enough" for hair but I prefer to sand to a minimum of 320. For a noticeably polished surface, progress through 400 and 600 grits as well.

*Folding back and forth a couple times usually makes the sandpaper easy to tear in a straight line, you can also use the edge of a table or similar.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Does anyone else use ACV to rinse oil treatments away? I decided to combine it with conditioner and rinse oils out with this mix. Waiting for the results... but I guess you can use vinegar also as a cleanser. And for some reason I think it's gentler than shampoo. At least it gives more shine and softness than regular shampoo.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Doesn't the ACV dilute the conditioner? I can understand rinsing the small bit of oil of an oil rinse away after shampoo with water + ACV and then putting on conditioner after. I can imagine that. But IDK, my experimenting days are over.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

ACV is considered by some to be a conditioner because it causes the cuticle to lie flat. It doesn’t clean though. And the same could be said for any acid rinse, not just ACV.

I mean just thinking of a vinaigrette salad dressing— it can’t combine with oil at all, so I’m not sure how it could help remove oils from hair.

Could it be gentler than shampoo? Maybe, depending on dilution I suppose? But acids on their own are… not gentle things.

I suggest taking a look at the ever helpful science-y hair blog: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...inses.html?m=1
    Last edited by knobbly; August 6th, 2022 at 09:31 AM. Reason: ETA

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    ACV is considered by some to be a conditioner because it causes the cuticle to lie flat. It doesn’t clean though. And the same could be said for any acid rinse, not just ACV.

I mean just thinking of a vinaigrette salad dressing— it can’t combine with oil at all, so I’m not sure how it could help remove oils from hair.

Could it be gentler than shampoo? Maybe, depending on dilution I suppose? But acids on their own are… not gentle things.

I suggest taking a look at the ever helpful science-y hair blog: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...inses.html?m=1
    +1! But it does clean lime scale off faucets
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    +1! But it does clean lime scale off faucets
    Very handy, I admit!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Ok I saw no difference. My challenge is to find balance with oil treatments. Very easily I rinse it all away and nobody can see any traces of oil treatment in my hair, and just as easily my hair remains oily. Then sure I can use dry shampoo but it's power is limited if there's oil too much in hair...

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Are the braided pinless bun and the Chinese braided bun the same thing? Is there a preferred term if so?

ETA follow up questions:
    What is your favorite hairtoy to hold the above bun, especially for the slippery-haired among us? I wonder if a fork with a not-very-dramatic headcurve would be best? I admit the reason I don’t use this bun often is that I worry I’ll poke my toddler’s eye out with my (straight smooth acrylic) stick, so something not very pointy at all would be preferred I suppose. Is this what folks do with those hair sticks that are kind of bulbous on both ends? Hmmm.
    Last edited by knobbly; August 9th, 2022 at 08:20 AM. Reason: ETA

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    Are the braided pinless bun and the Chinese braided bun the same thing? Is there a preferred term if so?

ETA follow up questions:
    What is your favorite hairtoy to hold the above bun, especially for the slippery-haired among us? I wonder if a fork with a not-very-dramatic headcurve would be best? I admit the reason I don’t use this bun often is that I worry I’ll poke my toddler’s eye out with my (straight smooth acrylic) stick, so something not very pointy at all would be preferred I suppose. Is this what folks do with those hair sticks that are kind of bulbous on both ends? Hmmm.
    I might not be able to answer the question but let me chime in:
    As someone born and raised in China, I was at first very confused at hairstyle phrases like “Chinese bun”.

So I looked it up and saw it start with a ponytail held by an elastic tie, which, to any hardcore retro Chinese hairstylists, it’s a no-no. We think if you need an elastic to start a bun and extra pins to secure it, that bun doesn’t have a soul. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculously funny as well. LOL. I can hold a high ponytail with one stick and make it pretty secure. I just choose not to do it often because it hurts my scalp.
    The elastic-free Chinese bun can be started from braiding all your hair one or two reiterations, then insert the stick, the rest is the same. I have seen some variations like the two-loops or the infinity loops.

In China, we have a specific name for each bun/knot/loop style, all of them can be held secure by a stick or two, but there is never one called “Chinese bun” lol.

Btw, we also don’t call the common braiding styles like English, French or Dutch braid, to us, they are the (3-strand-)braid, normal-3-strand braid+2 (or the centipede braid) and the reverse-3-strand braid+2 (or the scorpion braid). A lace braid is called 3+1.

I wonder what the French and Dutch people call these braids.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 9th, 2022 at 10:28 AM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]