Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    Ask all the questions you want. I still have PO box in the last town I lived in. But we are only there about once a year so they just hold it for me. Anything I order online I just have sent general delivery to wherever I am. I had another PO box in the general area of where we spend a lot of time, or at least pass through a few times a year, but I wasn't using it enough to really need it. I don't usually get a lot of mail though. When I pick up my mail from my PO box its really only a big handful for the year.
    Hmmm food for thought. As I continue to downsize my life, I'm sure I'll have more. Thank you
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Hmmm food for thought. As I continue to downsize my life, I'm sure I'll have more. Thank you
    Your welcome.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

What kinda small hair ties are folk liking these days to secure there braids? I can't seem to find the soft baby bobbles I used to use anymore and I'm noticing splits on otherwise healthy strands around the area I normally tie my braid off. I'm struggling to find anything small enough for the area!

Length
    Buzz/WL/HL?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Decadence View Post
    What kinda small hair ties are folk liking these days to secure there braids? I can't seem to find the soft baby bobbles I used to use anymore and I'm noticing splits on otherwise healthy strands around the area I normally tie my braid off. I'm struggling to find anything small enough for the area!
    Not a braider myself (my hair's too short at the moment) but PeonyBlue shared this Morgan Donner video for using ribbons/tape instead of hair ties the other day, maybe something there could help? One style is just for tying off the ends if you don't want to braid ribbons all the way through.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bright View Post
    Not a braider myself (my hair's too short at the moment) but PeonyBlue shared this Morgan Donner video for using ribbons/tape instead of hair ties the other day, maybe something there could help? One style is just for tying off the ends if you don't want to braid ribbons all the way through.
    Thank you Bright! I had a quick click through the video. That's a really cute workaround but, unfortunately, woefully impractical for my lifestyle.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

This might be a stupid question, but have you searched for baby / kids' hair ties? A fair handful came up of the soft ones I think you mean when I searched online. I've not seen them in shops in person for a while even before the pandemic though, only online.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Buzz/WL/HL?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Thank you Bright! I had a quick click through the video. That's a really cute workaround but, unfortunately, woefully impractical for my lifestyle.
    Aww, that's unfortunate. I hope you find something!

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I bought some baby / kids hair ties but they were such rubbish quality and after one use fell apart to reveal strands of harsh nylon. So I’m back to using my fishnet hair ties - stretchy in all directions and very kind on the hair. The only down side is I haven’t found any small ones yet - they’re normal hair tie size. I am considering experimenting with some vegan soft suede thonging to tie off my ends, will let you know how it goes! What about those tiny rubber bands, are they damaging if not tied tight?
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Don't know if it is what you are looking for, but for small, I find Proclaim's superstretch professional braiding rubber bands work well for me. Unstretched one has a circumference of about 2" but will stretch 3x that. I haven't found they stick to or tear at my hair like a normal rubberband would. Each is good for multiple uses so my bag of 400 will last me a very long time. YMMV of course
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Decadence;[URL="tel:3875125"
    3875125[/URL]]What kinda small hair ties are folk liking these days to secure there braids? I can't seem to find the soft baby bobbles I used to use anymore and I'm noticing splits on otherwise healthy strands around the area I normally tie my braid off. I'm struggling to find anything small enough for the area!
    I braid a bit of yarn (maybe 6 inches worth?) into the last two or so inches of my braid then wrap the yarn around the braid and tie the yarn around it. It takes about the same amount of time. I can’t be chuffed to buy itty-bitty bands anymore, and the visible bit usually gets tucked into my bun, so it works well for me.

ETA: it’s worth noting that I have very thin ends, but this method should still work for thicker hair. The key is just to get some yarn embedded in the braid, then using it to tie off the braid. You might have to use a bow or knot (I don’t, just end under end once works for me), but it should still work.
    Last edited by Entangled; April 16th, 2021 at 01:28 PM.