Page 80 of 404 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I know we had a thread about cultural appropriation and African hairstyles - I don't want to hijack that thread but I would like to know if it could possibly offend someone if I were to use chopsticks to hold up my hair? I really like the look and designs of decorative chopsticks, but I obviously have zero Asian heritage that I know of, and wouldn't want to contribute to the problem of cultural appropriation.
    It’s just an eating utensil, nothing anyone should get triggered about. At most, you might get a weird look, the same way you would if you made a bun and shoved a spoon in to hold it. I use chopsticks in my hair, both from my culture and other Asian cultures. I’ve never heard any objections about it.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I know we had a thread about cultural appropriation and African hairstyles - I don't want to hijack that thread but I would like to know if it could possibly offend someone if I were to use chopsticks to hold up my hair? I really like the look and designs of decorative chopsticks, but I obviously have zero Asian heritage that I know of, and wouldn't want to contribute to the problem of cultural appropriation.
    I get the American idea behind not wanting to hurt black people because of their history of slavery and the very recent segregation but China is easily the single most powerful country in the world. I don't think there's a thing you can do to hurt them even if you wanted to
    🌸Growing my hair until I can't handle it anymore🌸

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy McLucyFace View Post
    I get the American idea behind not wanting to hurt black people because of their history of slavery and the very recent segregation but China is easily the single most powerful country in the world. I don't think there's a thing you can do to hurt them even if you wanted to
    OTOH, there is a history in the U.S. of not treating people of various Asian descents well. Much of the issue surrounding cultural appropriation is, as you guessed, about power. In the West, Asians are a minority-- so, not much power. Much of the issue surrounding cultural appropriation is also the idea that Person of {X} Culture is ridiculed for their national food, apparel, traditions, etc.... and then as soon as someone white decides to "adopt" it, all the white person's friends are "Oh that bindi/pho/Day of the Dead celebration is so cool!" (I compare it how, culturally in the U.S., glasses are considered unattractive and those who wear them are made fun of, told to get contacts, etc.... until some "hot" woman puts on a fake pair for funsies and then it's considered stylish and attractive...)

In the case of chopsticks, as someone else pointed out, it might just come out as cultural cluelessness-- the equivalent of using a fork as a hairstick; people might look at you funny for thinking an eating utensil is a hair accessory. It's not among the most egregious of cultural slips, just might come across a little strange.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Asian Americans have faced loads of discrimination and racism, as have immigrants of colour to many predominantly white countries. It doesn't (to my knowledge) have roots as far back as enslaving people from Africa, but that doesn't make it better or any less hurtful for the people who experience it.

blackgothicdoll I've seen conflicting social media posts about this, but the only real consensus I've seen is that if you stick chopsticks in your hair as part of an East Asian costume, that's at best silly and at worst offensive. But you would be using them as functional items, and not as part of a costume so it doesn't fall under that. I don't know the answer though and obviously can't speak for people let alone an entire community - and it may differ between countries too.

Are the decorative sticks you have in mind definitely sold as eating utensils? If so, could you modify them (e.g. shorten them) to no longer be actual chopsticks? [Though if anyone knows that that would be offensive, please let me know - as mentioned, I cannot speak for anyone or any culture.]
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Thanks for all the responses. The sticks I've been looking at, either wood or metal, are marketed as eating utensils. In the set below, my plan had been to keep the red and black pairs for my hair, and the other three for eating xD

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6772918...ooden-japanese

I've put things like pencils and tools in my hair. A literal spoon would be a stranger option for me, but I'm definitely not above it if that's the closest comparison

Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Catholic migrants to the US also suffered discrimination, go defend those too.

Catholic migrants to the US also suffered discrimination, go defend those too.
    Discrimination is funny. For answer "who was discriminated" first we must ask "how long time ago?".

For example everyone know how white people discriminated black people 2 hundreds years ago, but... who remember fact - earlier people from Africa hunted to white people, especial Slavs and Brits (to have Slaves and "exotic" white women in harem).

Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
    Discrimination is funny. For answer "who was discriminated" first we must ask "how long time ago?".

For example everyone know how white people discriminated black people 2 hundreds years ago, but... who remember fact - earlier people from Africa hunted to white people, especial Slavs and Brits (to have Slaves and "exotic" white women in harem).
    No point talking about the Arab slave trade which lasted between the middle ages and the last century. To most Americans nothing exists outside of the US

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Ouch, that’s a little harsh. Just because there is a loudly jingoistic group in the US doesn’t mean the majority are insular or short-sighted.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    20/20/25

Hi, i m posting but really out of your subject of discussion just if some guys or girls wants to talk or helps me about having to tied up my hair sometimes for sport, dance etc for a boy ! and looking a bit "girlish" sometimes if you get it ^^ but sorry for those who i 'm really far from your subject :/