Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 3253

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by milteu View Post
    Thanks a ton for the detailed response, SeppV! I do tend to go cheaper when it comes to shampoo because it goes down the drain and I prefer to save up for more pricey leave on products, so I’m wondering, what do you think of Herbal Essences Detox & Shine shampoo? I’m not a fan of HE but this “detoxifying” shampoo contain SLES which is a catch for me (my hair and SLS can’t get along) and the rest of the ingredients seem OK (no silicones/oils/waxes).
    Oh and I’m also wondering, what does zinc buildup look like/feel?

I do the same, but I have yet to find a chelating shampoo that is super cheap. I haven't tried the shampoo you mention, but I would at least think it's a good shampoo if you want to avoid build up, since it doesn't contain silicones. I like to keep my shampoos free from silicones and rather use cones in my conditioners and leave ins. From what it looks like to me when I view the product page of it, it looks more like a shampoo to keep hair clean and nice on a daily basis (this is especially since it says "daily", that often tells me that this is not a true reset shampoo) rather than a proper "reset" shampoo. But perhaps it is strong enough to get rid of silicones? I think only SLS and SLES is needed to do that. I read a bit about clarifying shampoos and what sets them apart is concentration of cleansing agents as well as chealating ingredients that deal with hard water build up etc.

When I had build up from Head and Shoulders it just felt like my hair was extremely greasy even if I just washed it. There was no wondering if something was wrong, my hair was completely greased down by the build up. Same with the hard-water build up I get when we visit my husband's family. But sometimes build up can also feel like dry ends! If I still have crunchy, dull hair after cleansing with normal shampoo, I usually go for my chealating shampoo to detox my hair a bit. I do the CWC method, so I suppose the silicones do build up on my hair after several rounds of no shampoo on my lenghts. I know some people never need to clarify at all and their regular shampoo deals with it. I guess as long as you know your hair and it feels fine, there is no need to change what you are doing. But if hair feels dry, weird or greasy even after using regular shampoo, I would try clarifying :-)

Just in case I wasn't clear about this.... I only use chelating shampoos very seldom.
    Last edited by SeppV; October 3rd, 2022 at 10:54 AM.

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    That's a good point, let your hair tell you if it's enough or not.

Zinc and water mineral buildup will always need chelating, clarifying won't remove minerals bonded to the hair.
    Perhaps I am mixing up terms here...? I have wondered if I do! Is a clarifying shampoo something else than a chelating one? Because I guess that is what I am talking about then.... and perhaps that is why I have had such mixed experiences when trying out different cleansing shampoos.
    Last edited by SeppV; October 3rd, 2022 at 10:55 AM.

Length
    Hip/MTL/Metal
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SeppV View Post
    Perhaps I am mixing up terms here...? I have wondered if I do! Is a clarifying shampoo something else than a chelating one? Because I guess that is what I am talking about then.... and perhaps that is why I have had such mixed experiences when trying out different cleansing shampoos.
    As mentioned by Spoons, clarifying shampoo could be basically any clear sulfate shampoo that doesn't contain silicones, waxes, or other heavy film-formers that are major contributors to "gunk" buildup. A chelating shampoo is probably all that and in addition, will contain an EDTA ingredient, which removes mineral buildup. Chelators are also sometimes used internally (not shampoo, mind you! ) if one suffers from excess iron, for example.

Personally, I think the term "detox shampoo" is very vague and I don't really understand what is meant with it. When I think of detoxing, I think of the skin and the liver.
    Last edited by Ylva; October 3rd, 2022 at 12:53 PM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    As mentioned by Spoons, clarifying shampoo could be basically any clear sulfate shampoo that doesn't contain silicones, waxes, or other heavy film-formers that are major contributors to "gunk" buildup. A chelating shampoo is probably all that and in addition, will contain an EDTA ingredient, which removes mineral buildup. Chelators are also sometimes used internally (not shampoo, mind you! ) if one suffers from excess iron, for example.

Personally, I think the term "detox shampoo" is very vague and I don't really understand what is meant with it. When I think of detoxing, I think of the skin and the liver.
    Right! But EDTA is in many conditioners as well, and they don't exactly remove build up... perhaps it comes down to concentration and some other ingredients as well... Anyways, what I mean when I say clarifying shampoo or detox shampoo is basically a shampoo that will remove all sorts of build up from my hair. I might be using the terms a bit too loosely. That probably explains why my clarifying shampoo from Tresseme doesn't work for my build up

Usally, I don't trust the name of the shampoo, be it clarifying or detox, but I try to read on the back if it says it will remove all sorts of gunk and build up. If it says "daily" I don't trust it will remove build up to the extent I need when I have "mineral action" going on in my hair...

Detox... yes, what does that even mean hair wise. Haha.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Right! But EDTA is in many conditioners as well, and they don't exactly remove build up... perhaps it comes down to concentration and some other ingredients as well... Anyways, what I mean when I say clarifying shampoo or detox shampoo is basically a shampoo that will remove all sorts of build up from my hair. I might be using the terms a bit too loosely. That probably explains why my clarifying shampoo from Tresseme doesn't work for my build up

Usally, I don't trust the name of the shampoo, be it clarifying or detox, but I try to read on the back if it says it will remove all sorts of gunk and build up. If it says "daily" I don't trust it will remove build up to the extent I need when I have "mineral action" going on in my hair...

Detox... yes, what does that even mean hair wise. Haha.
    Clarifying means removing general product buildup. Chelating is removing mineral buildup and needs specific chemicals, whereas chelating just needs something with a surfactant that can break down the buildup (SLES is fine for silicones, for example) and without containing its own film-forming ingredients to leave behind.

And yes with chelating chemicals, it definitely depends on concentration. If it's in amongst the preservatives or after fragrance in the ingredients list, it's probably not strong enough.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Just curious, have you guys heard about the clarifying/detoxifying capacity of clay? I watch the Green Beauty videos and I am mesmerized. Being the nerd that I am, I’m so glad to see someone explaining hair science with graphs and charts like a powerpoint presentation.
    https://youtu.be/lh2b2l1dEDo
    https://youtu.be/aP7RKfie5oQ
    https://youtu.be/ihjmyUF8TN0
    Last edited by tuanyiji; October 3rd, 2022 at 09:25 PM.
    98cm 1b/C/10.3cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Surprised that she hasn't adressed qasal powder yet. It seems to be wondrous. Read about it in my local paper.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Thanks, MusicalSpoons, that information will help me in choosing a shampoo! Perhaps I don't need to chelate as often as I thought then, if a full SLES wash will take care of silicones anyway. Where I live now, we don't have hard water, luckily.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks, MusicalSpoons, that information will help me in choosing a shampoo! Perhaps I don't need to chelate as often as I thought then, if a full SLES wash will take care of silicones anyway. Where I live now, we don't have hard water, luckily.
    If you want some recommendations. The Pantene Aqua Light & the volume one are nice to clarify with. Aqua light is a clear one. The volume one also; and to my (limited) knowledge they both have EDTA.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/2/29
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

This may be a weird question, but does anyone know of long-hairers on Instagram/Facebook/Tumblr who use shampoo bars and other all-natural/sustainable hair care products in their routine?

I've started to grow my hair out again and love having photo inspiration to keep me going, but I'm not having much luck finding influencers who share products/tips that I would try. For example, I use Chagrin Valley & Meow Meow Tweet products currently.
    🌙🥀 "Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness." 🥀🌙
    Pixie [10.4.2022] WL [no set date]