Page 307 of 307 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307
Results 3,061 to 3,067 of 3067

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    Chin/APL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Uhh... I tried the protein stretch test and my hair snapped immediately! But my hair doesn't feel stiff or dry with conditioner or anything. Maybe it's because my hair is fine? So do I need to do anything/does protein overload (if that is the case) damage my hair?
    (also please ignore my hair type in my profile for reference as I wanted to do the photo hair typing thread once I can post photos )

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lairiel View Post
    Uhh... I tried the protein stretch test and my hair snapped immediately! But my hair doesn't feel stiff or dry with conditioner or anything. Maybe it's because my hair is fine? So do I need to do anything/does protein overload (if that is the case) damage my hair?
    (also please ignore my hair type in my profile for reference as I wanted to do the photo hair typing thread once I can post photos )
    Too much protein on the hair is basically just a product build up and not permanent. You could clarify if you do not like the feel of your hair, but it sounds like you are okay with it. These tests don't really tell you anything.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Too much protein on the hair is basically just a product build up and not permanent. You could clarify if you do not like the feel of your hair, but it sounds like you are okay with it. These tests don't really tell you anything.
    Oh, great. I immediately started panicking and did an experiment with ivory soap. I've made my own soaps, like very mild shampoo bar. I will try this with apple cider vinegar. I would like that I wouldn't have to buy so much products. But let's see, I don't want to ruin my hair.

BSL - WL - Classic

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ada-banana View Post
    Oh, great. I immediately started panicking and did an experiment with ivory soap. I've made my own soaps, like very mild shampoo bar. I will try this with apple cider vinegar. I would like that I wouldn't have to buy so much products. But let's see, I don't want to ruin my hair.
    I'm not sure I'm following. What kind of experiment did you do? I washed with soap for a while and liked it when I used filtered water, but ultimately the water here was too hard and it got too annoying to find the right dosage of vinegar rinse, so I gave up and went back to shampoo.

Edit: Aaaah, sorry, I didn't read the entire discussion about protein on the last page. I've heard of this stretch test mentioned in the article before, but I think unless you do it in a lab with machines that always pull with the same strength, the results are not very telling when you do it at home and have to guess how much strength you're using and how much your hair is streched.
    Last edited by Finda; September 20th, 2022 at 01:48 PM.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I'm not sure I'm following. What kind of experiment did you do? I washed with soap for a while and liked it when I used filtered water, but ultimately the water here was too hard and it got too annoying to find the right dosage of vinegar rinse, so I gave up and went back to shampoo.

Edit: Aaaah, sorry, I didn't read the entire discussion about protein on the last page. I've heard of this stretch test mentioned in the article before, but I think unless you do it in a lab with machines that always pull with the same strength, the results are not very telling when you do it at home and have to guess how much strength you're using and how much your hair is streched.
    My hair is stiff, brittle, breaking off and essentially not looking great or growing great for years now.

So I'm desperately looking for a haircare that does work for me, and trying to manage my vitamines.

So it's a lot of experimenting for me. I'm stretching washes now and laying off the normal shampoo and conditioner. Everything seems to give me a protein overload. Maybe I will start a new thread, for trying to find answers.

Right now my aim for stretching washes and let my sebum come to my hair-tips (but it never reaches there). I'm trying my diy shampoo bar, ACV rinses and rose water. Probably this won't work either.

BSL - WL - Classic

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ada-banana View Post
    My hair is stiff, brittle, breaking off and essentially not looking great or growing great for years now.

So I'm desperately looking for a haircare that does work for me, and trying to manage my vitamines.

So it's a lot of experimenting for me. I'm stretching washes now and laying off the normal shampoo and conditioner. Everything seems to give me a protein overload. Maybe I will start a new thread, for trying to find answers.

Right now my aim for stretching washes and let my sebum come to my hair-tips (but it never reaches there). I'm trying my diy shampoo bar, ACV rinses and rose water. Probably this won't work either.
    So sorry to hear this. You have probably written somewhere else about your routine, but have you tried conditioners with different conditioning agents? Something that gives lots of slip? Maybe it's not too much protein but not enough of heavy conditioning agents like tricetylmonium chloride, distearyldimonium chloride, polyquats or amodimethicone.

Acv rinses can make the hair soft, but if you use too much it can also add to the dryness.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

So sorry to hear this. You have probably written somewhere else about your routine, but have you tried conditioners with different conditioning agents? Something that gives lots of slip? Maybe it's not too much protein but not enough of heavy conditioning agents like tricetylmonium chloride, distearyldimonium chloride, polyquats or amodimethicone.

Acv rinses can make the hair soft, but if you use too much it can also add to the dryness.
    Oooh thank you, I will look into that. I'm happy to try every suggestion and idea, I'm relatively new to haircare and whatever im doing to my hair right now, I'm doing it wrong.

BSL - WL - Classic