Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    I believe both aloe and glycerin are humectants, but glycerin is stronger I believe
    Interesting.. so if they are used when the weather has high humidity, won’t this affect the hair by drawing moisture into it? And I imagine the opposite occurs when there’s low humidity, moisture is lost from the hair. Can’t win!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Interesting.. so if they are used when the weather has high humidity, won’t this affect the hair by drawing moisture into it? And I imagine the opposite occurs when there’s low humidity, moisture is lost from the hair. Can’t win!
    Glycerin and aloe are indeed both humectants, which is why they are found in hair products that are intended to be moisturizing (exactly what you describe in high humidity). My understanding, though, is that most synthetic humectants (including glycerin) are a little "fussier" about how well they work in different humidity levels than are film-forming humectants like aloe vera, honey, or agave. Glycerin is most effective at drawing in moisture in environments with moderate humidity and temperature; in hot and humid environments, though, it often prompts additional frizzing because it doesn't retain the moisture it attracts very effectively. Film-forming humectants don't attract as much moisture to begin with, but they "hold onto" it better in most weather, because of the film aspect.

I am always after more moisture, and get very good results with glycerin here. That is what I typically use in an SMT. Our weather is punishingly dry, often below 15% humidity. A Ute friend gave me the tip of steaming up the bathroom when you take your shower, trapping it with towels in the door crack, etc., and then hanging out in the steam with conditioner in your hair! I don't have the time or space to do that, but I do get my hair super-wet, slap on something moisturizing, put on a shower-cap, and wrap everything up in towels for a few hours. That seems to be a wet enough environment for the glycerin to do its thing without drawing moisture out of the hair and into the dry air instead. It's all but environmentally impossible for humectant-induced frizz to be a problem here.

(I can't really compare it to aloe gel, because the only one I've been able to find sold out here is blended with an ingredient I'm allergic to : P But I've used fresh aloe vera juice sometimes--not concentrated, just from the aloes that grow near our front door. That's messier to use than the glycerin simply because it's thinner, but it works well.)

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Glycerin and aloe are indeed both humectants, which is why they are found in hair products that are intended to be moisturizing (exactly what you describe in high humidity). My understanding, though, is that most synthetic humectants (including glycerin) are a little "fussier" about how well they work in different humidity levels than are film-forming humectants like aloe vera, honey, or agave. Glycerin is most effective at drawing in moisture in environments with moderate humidity and temperature; in hot and humid environments, though, it often prompts additional frizzing because it doesn't retain the moisture it attracts very effectively. Film-forming humectants don't attract as much moisture to begin with, but they "hold onto" it better in most weather, because of the film aspect.

I am always after more moisture, and get very good results with glycerin here. That is what I typically use in an SMT. Our weather is punishingly dry, often below 15% humidity. A Ute friend gave me the tip of steaming up the bathroom when you take your shower, trapping it with towels in the door crack, etc., and then hanging out in the steam with conditioner in your hair! I don't have the time or space to do that, but I do get my hair super-wet, slap on something moisturizing, put on a shower-cap, and wrap everything up in towels for a few hours. That seems to be a wet enough environment for the glycerin to do its thing without drawing moisture out of the hair and into the dry air instead. It's all but environmentally impossible for humectant-induced frizz to be a problem here.

(I can't really compare it to aloe gel, because the only one I've been able to find sold out here is blended with an ingredient I'm allergic to : P But I've used fresh aloe vera juice sometimes--not concentrated, just from the aloes that grow near our front door. That's messier to use than the glycerin simply because it's thinner, but it works well.)
    Interesting and it’s good you’ve found a method that works for you. Thanks for your reply :-)

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I oiled my hair yesterday and braided it. I didn’t wash the oil out as it’s wash day today. The ends feel quite dry.. where has the oil gone, because it doesn’t feel like it’s in my hair!?

Length
    27/35/45
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I oiled my hair yesterday and braided it. I didn’t wash the oil out as it’s wash day today. The ends feel quite dry.. where has the oil gone, because it doesn’t feel like it’s in my hair!?
    Maybe the oil wasn't enough and so it was totally absorbed?
    BSL-MBL-WL- HL -BCL-TBL-CL
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    Maybe the oil wasn't enough and so it was totally absorbed?
    Yes I thought that. Weirdly though the ends were drier after the oiling than before

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Yes I thought that. Weirdly though the ends were drier after the oiling than before
    How does your hair normally do in a plait? And which oil did you use?
    (My first thoughts were that it was indeed all absorbed, and/or some rubbed off perhaps.)
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    How does your hair normally do in a plait? And which oil did you use?
    (My first thoughts were that it was indeed all absorbed, and/or some rubbed off perhaps.)
    It’s usually good in a plait. I vary the type and it gets plaited 2-3 times a week and not on consecutive days. I always oil before plaiting it dry, never wet, and use gentle ‘toddlers’ hair ties. I used an equal mix of avocado and argan oil. I haven’t done that combination before though, usually one or t’other. Coconut oil is a no-no as it makes my hair rough and crunchy, but to be honest my hair felt like I’d used it! Such a strange result

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Interesting and it’s good you’ve found a method that works for you. Thanks for your reply :-)
    Sure thing! I hope the info is useful.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Not weird at all, since oils are not moisturizing. They keep moisture IN and impart lipids and fatty acids, but do not actually impart any moisture to your hair. You'll need to do something that does, and oil after THAT to keep moisture in