Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Do most people here not use BSB (below shoulder blade) as a milestone? BSL on me is so close to waist, it's frustrating. But there's no BSB thread :/

BSB is a more accurate milestone IMO because some people wear the bra right under their armpits, ppl like me wear them at waist, and some don't wear them at all!
    I prefer BSB, though according to my signature I've been calling it SBL - shoulder-blade length. BSL on me is only about 2" above my waist so it's kind of a pointless marker, though I do consider myself at MBL when I'm about halfway between BSB and waist. And given that I haven't worn a proper wired bra since lockdown started, I think I might just wheech right past BSL this time round as I'm now a couple of inches above waist
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    ....I have noticed there also seems to be some confusion generally on the forum as to where TBL is. TBL is not the top of the pelvis, the tail bone is the coccyx - a set of fused bones so will vary in length with individuals. Superior vs inferior coccyx, so why not go with the inferior aspect as everyone can palpate that. I would be happy to do a pic with the anatomical descriptors if the mods let me know what levels they want shown (i work in anatomy)
    Yep, I have practically no tailbone, so on me it looks like a pretty high marker, but on my sister it's almost classic. Everyone has a different structure to work with, so these milestones won't ever be really exact.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hmm I rather like your idea of incorporating BSB into title of the BSL type thread, Lady Stardust.

Length
    Pixie/Tailb/Class
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I'm loving this discussion around the milestones! Below shoulder blades sounds better to me, just because it's going by our anatomy. However, tail bone length is going by our anatomy and it's a hard one to call if you're not sure! I saw a couple of people mention calling tbl when they're sitting and their hair touched the seat, so I'm going with that but I'm not really sure if it's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post

General Comment
    I have noticed there also seems to be some confusion generally on the forum as to where TBL is. TBL is not the top of the pelvis, the tail bone is the coccyx - a set of fused bones so will vary in length with individuals. Superior vs inferior coccyx, so why not go with the inferior aspect as everyone can palpate that. I would be happy to do a pic with the anatomical descriptors if the mods let me know what levels they want shown (i work in anatomy)
    I would love this Feral! I think it would be great pinned to the top of this board with the milestones on it. I remember having to search for them when I first joined. Along with the abbreviations. I mean, I know we pick them up, but it might be helpful.
    2015 pixie --> 2020 TBL
    Growing out henna, letting my greys come through.
    Last trim 2015, last henna April 2019

Length
    Pixie/Chin/WL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Elliandra View Post
    I would love this Feral! I think it would be great pinned to the top of this board with the milestones on it. I remember having to search for them when I first joined. Along with the abbreviations. I mean, I know we pick them up, but it might be helpful.
    There's a glossary linked in the important threads and resources thread (I think?) that explains the abbreviations. I know, because I had to reference it extremely often in my early days on this forum Agreed on the anatomical descriptors info though, I think that would be really helpful to anyone that's confused on the descriptors. It still won't be incredibly precise, but that's fine.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Do most people here not use BSB (below shoulder blade) as a milestone? BSL on me is so close to waist, it's frustrating. But there's no BSB thread :/

BSB is a more accurate milestone IMO because some people wear the bra right under their armpits, ppl like me wear them at waist, and some don't wear them at all! :o
    I called it SBL (shoulder blade length) but I guess BSB makes more sense! Either way, I use it too. :)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    How long/thick is your hair, and what buns have you tried? What kind of stick is it?

My first guess is that this may well resolve as your hair gets longer. The hair will anchor against the stick better and you’ll be able to have a looser bun.
    With the length you’ll also be able to try various different buns which will hold better.
    If it’s the case that you’re just a tad early for stick buns, you might be able to do some wicked experiments with half ups and double / triple buns.
    My hair is just in between APL and BSL with medium thickness. The sticks are cheap wood sticks from eBay. I actually can't do any other but a cinnabun currently, and I think my layers a one of the reasons my buns don't hold unless I make them extra tight.
    I hope this problem will resolve itself with more length.

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hexana View Post
    My hair is just in between APL and BSL with medium thickness. The sticks are cheap wood sticks from eBay. I actually can't do any other but a cinnabun currently, and I think my layers a one of the reasons my buns don't hold unless I make them extra tight.
    I hope this problem will resolve itself with more length.
    Normally more length fixes it. I couldn't do any buns until waist, and still can't do a Nautilus comfortably yet. It gets easier over time.

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SwanFeathers View Post
    Normally more length fixes it. I couldn't do any buns until waist, and still can't do a Nautilus comfortably yet. It gets easier over time.
    Thank you for the insight. I thought that I will probably be needing more lenght. But you don't feel any uncomfortable pulling do you?

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hexana View Post
    Thank you for the insight. I thought that I will probably be needing more lenght. But you don't feel any uncomfortable pulling do you?
    Some buns are more comfortable than others, and tools and placement do make a difference as well. I can make a LWB with both a stick or a fork where I don't even feel my hair, but that took practice with both tools. I can use spin pins for a bun on top of my head or at my nape without issue, but a high bun is a no-go with pins. Forks are extra comfy, but for me require more length than sticks.