Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./57/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    There is a reason why we 1/ measure from the forehead to the back of the head and down 2/ look at hair from the back. What is that reason? Uniformity of measurement.
    I thought it was just so everyone could boast an extra foot
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > ???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    I thought it was just so everyone could boast an extra foot
    Well, that might be it too.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/Term
    Type
    4b/4c/M/C/iii

I'm wondering if the way I do my buns cause damage! I have fairly thick hair (9 inches circumference due to volume/curls) and I can't do a lot of buns well without getting a shoulder workout in and doing some advanced geometry. So, I've always created a ponytail then looped the hair tie around the part that's hanging out to create the bun "effect." The weight from the bun tends to hide the ends at the bottom. My buns are very loose - I don't try for sleek styles at all so there's little tension on my scalp. I'm trying to figure out how to move away from hair ties but I'm just worried about constantly messing with my hair because I'm having trouble getting a stick, fork, etc to stay in, and thus mechanical manipulation goes up.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by summertimes View Post
    I'm wondering if the way I do my buns cause damage! I have fairly thick hair (9 inches circumference due to volume/curls) and I can't do a lot of buns well without getting a shoulder workout in and doing some advanced geometry. So, I've always created a ponytail then looped the hair tie around the part that's hanging out to create the bun "effect." The weight from the bun tends to hide the ends at the bottom. My buns are very loose - I don't try for sleek styles at all so there's little tension on my scalp. I'm trying to figure out how to move away from hair ties but I'm just worried about constantly messing with my hair because I'm having trouble getting a stick, fork, etc to stay in, and thus mechanical manipulation goes up.
    It's the way a lot of people do buns, it's fine! 9 inches? I am like 4.25 and needed hip length to comfortably bun the regular style, with a hairfork. So you have your growing cut out for you. The one thing I would not do is damp bun (see your other thread). Scalps need to breathe and need to be allowed to dry without there being spots where the air can't reach. If that makes sense?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Does anyone have a way to tie braids in a non damaging way? I have fine hair so even a single braid containing all my hair is very skinny at the end. I've been using toddler sized regular hair ties but I was wondering if anyone knows a better way to tie off the braid? I've tried a regular scrunchie but it slips off, and invisibobbles look too bulky when they're wrapped around enough times to stay in place.

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by claudiarae View Post
    Does anyone have a way to tie braids in a non damaging way? I have fine hair so even a single braid containing all my hair is very skinny at the end. I've been using toddler sized regular hair ties but I was wondering if anyone knows a better way to tie off the braid? I've tried a regular scrunchie but it slips off, and invisibobbles look too bulky when they're wrapped around enough times to stay in place.
    I like small velvet scrunchies.

Be nice or I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by claudiarae View Post
    You can braid in ribbon at the end, then wrap it round and tie off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pouncequick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solovey View Post
    I'm curious about braiding in ribbon on the ends and tying it off on there, But i'm having trouble picturing it. Do you have any examples?
    I do this all of the time so I have linked below an Imgur album where I do it step by step. I hope this is close to what you need because I can't seem to get a clear video.

https://imgur.com/a/S4w1j3w

Edited to add:
    I also found this post from mira-chan that is more detailed:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...-with-a-ribbon
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Leather hair wraps also do nicely for protecting the tassel.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Henndigo head, daily wash and go, annual trimmer

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    You can braid in ribbon at the end, then wrap it round and tie off.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Length
    Pixie/CBL/MTL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    There is a reason why we 1/ measure from the forehead to the back of the head and down 2/ look at hair from the back. What is that reason? Uniformity of measurement.
    I actually had a question about this! When it says to measure from the forehead to the back of the head and down....what exactly am I doing? Am I taking 3 different measurements from different parts of my head? Am I taking a piece of my hair from the front, pulling up and over my head and then down my back? I got super confused by this (maybe because I have short hair, and hair from my forehead definitely isn't going to go up and over my head, haha)