Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by Flittingsis View Post
    I have very light eyebrows. My hair used to be blonde (it is now almost brown) so I've always had light eyebrows. Do any of you with light eyebrows but darker hair do anything with your eyebrows either dye or just pencil/powder them to make them darker? I just cut my fringe again to cover the area because I don't like having to define my eyebrows. I find that they really do a lot for the face, but it is something I have never had and am totally not used to.
    My maternal grandfather had extremely light eyebrows and about half of us on that side of the family got them, too. I don't mean that only in color, but also in extent; my eyebrows start at the outside of my eye and only go as far as the pupil. (Meanwhile, the other half got my grandmother's super-dark, super-thick, characteristically Arab eyebrows, LOL!) My aunt dyes hers regularly. My mother won't go anywhere public without penciling in her eyebrows. Meanwhile, I'm too lazy and insufficiently invested, so I just let them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Flittingsis View Post
    I have very light eyebrows. My hair used to be blonde (it is now almost brown) so I've always had light eyebrows. Do any of you with light eyebrows but darker hair do anything with your eyebrows either dye or just pencil/powder them to make them darker? I just cut my fringe again to cover the area because I don't like having to define my eyebrows. I find that they really do a lot for the face, but it is something I have never had and am totally not used to.
    I probably would, yes. I'm not big on fussing too much with makeup, either, but I have to do something with my eyebrows (even though they're not light) because if I shape them so they're not bushy and have, y'know, an actual arch, they get pretty sparse in spots (unfortunately, it seems like the best-hair parts are the parts that make them ugly and have to be removed). Also to make them look more natural with my henna'd hair. I'll use powder or a pencil, and just fill in lightly. I don't make a big deal with some defined "shape" or worry about perfectly replicating the look of individual hairs (on me, that's just not necessary-- just having the appearance of something there works as I'm not heavy-handed with what I do) or going for that heavy-dark-brow-with-corners look that is "in" right now. I just make it so my eyebrows don't look anemic.

Quote Originally Posted by ArienEllariel View Post
    Any recommendations for bobby pins that won't catch on hair when removing? Bobbies are the only pin that will actually stay in my hair.

Note: I've tried several variations on U pins to hold buns or braids in place but my hair just laughs and spits them out. They don't secure anything no matter what I try.
    Good Hair Days pins. They "grip" the hair, but because they're plastic and don't fit tightly together, they don't rip the hair when you pull them out. Also, one of these holds way more hair than a bobby pin. They usually come in tortoise or clear.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    27.5"/39"/41"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Where are we buying true Amish pins these days, gang? I’m in the USA but I’m sure folks want to know in other places too.
    TBL now, current goal is Classic

I've never bought any (so I can't speak to whether these are good vendors), but a couple sources I know of:

https://www.katiesmercantile.com/bon...coverings.html (Looks like the wavy kind only)

https://www.mennonitemaiden.com/

https://www.gehmanscountryfabrics.co...hair-products/
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    CBL/WAIST/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

How different is your hair pulled to the front than the back? My hair is waist but doesn't quite cover my chest in the front, But I know someone with waist length and it still looks waist in the front too. I wonder if it's my V cut or what that causes this?

Quote Originally Posted by Solovey View Post
    How different is your hair pulled to the front than the back? My hair is waist but doesn't quite cover my chest in the front, But I know someone with waist length and it still looks waist in the front too. I wonder if it's my V cut or what that causes this?
    I think the hair shape matters, if the front (face framing) layers are the same length as the back then it's going to look pretty close to waist length in the front too as it doesn't lose any length. If only the nape and back of the head layers are the ones that are certain length then it's going to look much shorter on the front as the hair loses some length having to get over the shoulders and chest.

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL
    Buzz | NL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL| TBL | Classic

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
    Recommendations for color-depositing conditioners? My ends are bleached from a long time ago and I keep having to dye them brown to match the rest of my hair, but hairdye is damaging so I want something that just deposits color without the damage. I've also been looking into brown henna, like the henna block by Lush. It's just frustrating cause any brown dye I put on it fades so fast cus the ends are porous from the bleach >.<
    Iím a fan of Keracolor. I use it in my grays in between henndigos.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Henndigo head, daily wash and go, annual trimmer

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Don't forget that in front there is probably further for the hair to go over certain body parts before the milestone than it has straight down your back. Depends on your body shape how much difference there will be (and hemline can affect it too).
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I noticed my hair looked shorter in the front when I used to have a V or deep U cut. When it's closer to one length like how it is now there isn't much of a difference when I pull it to the front compared to the back. But you also have to consider certain body parts or shape that would make hair come up further when pulled to the front, like chest size for example

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There is a reason why we 1/ measure from the forehead to the back of the head and down 2/ look at hair from the back. What is that reason? Uniformity of measurement.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)