Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by WavyWannabe View Post
    I have a meta-question.
    How do I tell whether a question deserves its own thread or not?
    (I know that sounds silly, but I swear I'm not trolling )
    Ha. Do a search first and see what comes up, if you can’t find it then start a thread? I swear some people have magic search functions that find stuff others don’t!
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    APL/37/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WavyWannabe View Post
    I have a meta-question.
    How do I tell whether a question deserves its own thread or not?
    (I know that sounds silly, but I swear I'm not trolling )
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Ha. Do a search first and see what comes up, if you canít find it then start a thread? I swear some people have magic search functions that find stuff others donít!
    I always thought (and am still thinking) that this is a super friendly forum when it comes to opening new threads (and generally including new members). What has kept me from participating in forums in the past (for all kinds of interests) is the way new members often get "yelled" at for opening a new thread for a topic that already exists ("Dude, use your search function" / "Man, don't you know how to google? It took me like two seconds to find the answer.") while they get simultaneously yelled at for dragging old threads up. As aconsequence, every thread then starts with: "I'm so, so sorry for opening this thread, I swear I searched hours if anything similaralready exists but I wasn't able to come up with anything."

So long story short, I'm glad that people here are a lot more friendly!

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    I always thought (and am still thinking) that this is a super friendly forum when it comes to opening new threads (and generally including new members). What has kept me from participating in forums in the past (for all kinds of interests) is the way new members often get "yelled" at for opening a new thread for a topic that already exists ("Dude, use your search function" / "Man, don't you know how to google? It took me like two seconds to find the answer.") while they get simultaneously yelled at for dragging old threads up. As aconsequence, every thread then starts with: "I'm so, so sorry for opening this thread, I swear I searched hours if anything similaralready exists but I wasn't able to come up with anything."

Yes! That’s because when someone does post a thread that’s already alive, the mods and others generally very politely reply linking the earlier thread they’ve found with their magic search powers.
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Other than heat or chemical damage, no idea. I somehow get them even though my hair is virgin
    I get these too; I think they're mechanical damage/damage from hard water (which I guess would likely be a form of chemical damage as I think our water is on the alkaline side). If you're getting them a lot where you tie off your braid or where your hair rubs on your collar or similar, it's probably mechanical damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    I learnt from some curly hair videos that after you apply a conditioner, it's easier to spread it by adding more water so you end up using less product for the same effect. I go for the seaweed consistency and very squishy sound by adding water, and only if it doesn't feel perfectly slippery and coated, adding more conditioner as needed.
    Oh, I might have to try that. I have really damaged hair on the last several inches and, because I'm used to my hair being low porosity, I don't really know how to deal with hair like this. I applied extra conditioner yesterday until I got the seaweed feeling and then scrunched in a wee bit of aloe and oil after I towel dried, and my hair felt great while it was still wet but now that it's dry it's greasy (which is what I'm used to if I over-condition or oil while damp, but I've oiled the damaged bit damp in the past and it seemed to work well). I wonder if I maybe didn't disperse everything evenly, but I may have just had too much conditioner.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gossamertresses View Post
    Random question: For those who oil their scalp, approximately how many ml of oil do you use each time?
    I'm trying to estimate how long a 100ml bottle would last
    For an oil rinse, I don't need much, 10 drops, couple pumps, depends on the delivery mechanism as well. My neem oil by Dr Hauschka lasted me the year... well, almost a year.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post

Yes, usually people don't stick around places like that for long. It's like walking on egg shells. And while it sometimes is said here too, it is in a much nicer way!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ?/33/42.5
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gossamertresses View Post
    Random question: For those who oil their scalp, approximately how many ml of oil do you use each time?
    I'm trying to estimate how long a 100ml bottle would last
    I oil my scalp before each wash, which is 2-3 times a week in my case. I make my own blend and keep it in a 50ml dropper bottle. I use 5 half-full stoppers each time, and I end up refilling my bottle about every 2 months. I don't have any clue if others have a similar routine, but this seems to work for me!

Length
    22/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

bit of a weird question but iím trying to stretch my washes out, iím currently at twice a week but iíd love to go back to once a week like i used to be. My current issue is my scalp gets really quite itchy if i leave my hair for more than 4 days. Any advice?

I do a daily massage to my hair so I wouldíve thought this would help but doesnít seem to
    CL ~ SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Ha. Do a search first and see what comes up, if you canít find it then start a thread? I swear some people have magic search functions that find stuff others donít!
    I figure a question doesn't deserve its own thread if it can be answered within a post or two, if it's not likely to require or spawn an entire discussion, etc. "How much oil should I use in my hair" would probably fall into this category; "what are the properties and advantages of this oil" or "what is your favorite oil" probably do not.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

bit of a weird question but iím trying to stretch my washes out, iím currently at twice a week but iíd love to go back to once a week like i used to be. My current issue is my scalp gets really quite itchy if i leave my hair for more than 4 days. Any advice?

I do a daily massage to my hair so I wouldíve thought this would help but doesnít seem to

Try using a more mild shampoo, or sulfate free if you aren't already so your scalp doesn't feel like it needs to produce extra oils from being stripped. Too much sebum for me causes my scalp to be itchy. I know that if I'm using a non SLS vs a harsh SLS shampoo, I can go an extra day or two without washing