Thread: ACV rinse questions

Default ACV rinse questions

What is the ratio of acv and water for a rinse? Also how long do I leave it on? And do it after shampoo & conditioner? TIA

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: ACV rinse questions

I use a few tbsps per litre of water and use it after I have washed and conditioned hair but some use it as a conditioner. It’s one of those things you experiment with. I leave it in for a few minutes and then rinse it out.

I’ve also read the it can be as strong as one part ACV to 5 parts water. That seems a bit to potent for my preferences.

ACV rinses are a great way to help keep the scalp clean from fungus and bacteria as well as strengthening and helping keep the hair shiny. It’s a healthy hair habit to get into.
    Last edited by hennalonghair; April 21st, 2020 at 02:55 AM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The best way is to get some litmus strips or a pH meter and test the pH, because that will then account for your water if you're leaving it in, it needs to be between 5 and 6, but if you're rinsing it out it can go as low as 4 http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...x-to-make.html
    Some recipes may be of interest for reference: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...de-rinses.html
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I just fill a big plastic cup (probably 24 fluid ounces) with shower water, and add just a splash of vinegar. (I keep the vinegar in a reusable water bottle in my shower, and store the cup upside down over the top of it. I just refill the vinegar bottle as needed from the gallon jug I keep under the sink.)

I don't use shampoo, so my typical routine is CO-wash with diluted conditioner (which I leave on to condition while I shower), rinse all that out, dump the vinegar-water over my head, rinse that out, add my leave-in conditioner, brush it through to distribute and detangle, then plop into a turbie-towel.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I use to use daily or every time I washed or co washed anyway. Not sure why I stopped.
    I would take an empty shampoo/body wash bottle and add half inch to an inch of acv then fill with tepid water. Not too cold. Take in shower with me.
    After shampoo and conditioner, gently squeeze water from hair and poor all over scalp and everywhere, wait a few minutes and rinse.

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

In the winter, I just pour a little straight vinegar onto my scalp while my hair is wet - after shampoo, before conditioner. I work it in, scrub my scalp, then rinse it out & condition. I’ve never found it to be too intense for me. Maybe once every week or two?

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I eyeball things, I'd say a teaspoon in a litre of cold water. Just to give a bit of shine
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    The best way is to get some litmus strips or a pH meter and test the pH, because that will then account for your water if you're leaving it in, it needs to be between 5 and 6, but if you're rinsing it out it can go as low as 4 http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...x-to-make.html
    Some recipes may be of interest for reference: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...de-rinses.html
    Agree with this! If I do an ACV rinse, I prefer to dilute it to a concentration of 1% - 2%.