Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

  1. #51
    Member DropStitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    109
    Length
    buzz/15/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Its possible the dye had started to degrade after 12 hours, I usually only dye release for 3 or 4 hours. I used Rajasthan last time and got a much deeper color, it also has a nice mucilage consistency and was easy to apply.
    If your henna needs more water after dye release, feel free to add some. You can also apply to damp hair. I like to clarify my hair, let partially dry then apply the mud.
    All great info! I'd love to try Rajasthani, I've heard it's a beautiful red. Perhaps with what's left of my off-brand, mystery-origin henna, I shall try another full head application, with a shorter dye release window.
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019

    buzz -- shaggy pixie-ish mess -- bob -- SL -- APL -- MBL -- waist -- hip

  2. #52
    Member curly girl fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    671
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

    it looks beautiful! your hair is shiny and healthy. i think raj is one of my favorites to use. I used cheap jamila (not baq), $1.49 a box on halalco, for years. I loved the orange and it stained well. then i started dabbling in other types. the last two time it was raj and cassia. i like to mix it up a bit, lol. no pun intended. congrats on the great results!

  3. #53
    Member ynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    562
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

    Ahh, it turned into such pleasant warm brown! I think it really suits you, the shine is great, and I'm surprised how vibrant the silvers turned. I have a bunch so they must have gotten dyed the last time I did henna, but most of them are in places that are hard for me to see.

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    That is a nice color. Your hair will get even softer if you do more whole head applications, I've done 4 now and I'm getting to the point I don't have to use conditioner. I still have all my waves and curls, seems to take a few applications to really start straightening.
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but it did feel like my curls started relaxing with the first full application. I imagine it's very individual, though, so I'm glad you got all the benefits without this side effect! :)
    ears | shoulders | CBL+ | APL | SBL | MBL ~ (curly)
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL | SBL | MBL ~ (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

  4. #54
    Member Jane99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    In a house, by the woods
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

    Lovely! It’s funny how different hennas are different. I can dye release Jamila overnight and usually even longer but I think the most other ones require less time. On one of the pages not on LHC there is info about dye releases for different hennas. Of course that doesn’t help you troubleshoot mystery henna! Maybe more liquid too? I will use like 10 tablespoons of powder for a full head application for my almost BSL hair. It’s not the thickest hair but 50g sounds like a lot for a pixie! The first time I hennaed I used 200g for my hair and it didn’t seem like enough but I made it more liquidy after that. There’s a sweet spot between not too thick, not too thin (it will run down your head if it’s too thin) and sugar is supposed to help it gel better and I have found that to be true. But it looks nice even if not as red as you were anticipating

  5. #55
    Member DropStitches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    109
    Length
    buzz/15/35
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Can I/should I make my dark brown hair copper?!

    Quote Originally Posted by curly girl fla View Post
    it looks beautiful! your hair is shiny and healthy. i think raj is one of my favorites to use. I used cheap jamila (not baq), $1.49 a box on halalco, for years. I loved the orange and it stained well. then i started dabbling in other types. the last two time it was raj and cassia. i like to mix it up a bit, lol. no pun intended. congrats on the great results!
    Thanks, curly girl fla! I'm really happy with it, but am also excited to try some different kinds of henna in the future. It's a whole world!

    Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    Ahh, it turned into such pleasant warm brown! I think it really suits you, the shine is great, and I'm surprised how vibrant the silvers turned. I have a bunch so they must have gotten dyed the last time I did henna, but most of them are in places that are hard for me to see.



    I'm not 100% sure about this, but it did feel like my curls started relaxing with the first full application. I imagine it's very individual, though, so I'm glad you got all the benefits without this side effect!
    Thanks, ynne! I'm a bit surprised too at how bright ginger the silvers are, especially given how subtle the change is on the rest of the hair. My greys seem to be concentrated at the front of my hair, so very easy for me to see (/obsess over...). It's funny, the last time I tried henna - which was many years ago, using Lush Caca Rouge - it definitely relaxed my curls. Caca Rouge has a few other ingredients than henna, though, including a load of cocoa butter, and I wondered if that might be responsible (though I guess cocoa butter doesn't permanently alter hair, so on reflection, that doesn't make sense!). I remember feeling like my hair was so shiny, it was almost like the curls didn't have anything to grip on to, so they just slipped out. This time, however, I haven't got so much hair, so it's a bit trickier to tell. I will keep my fingers crossed, as it would be wonderful to grow back some spirals! ynne, your hair looks super curly and lovely in your avatar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Lovely! It’s funny how different hennas are different. I can dye release Jamila overnight and usually even longer but I think the most other ones require less time. On one of the pages not on LHC there is info about dye releases for different hennas. Of course that doesn’t help you troubleshoot mystery henna! Maybe more liquid too? I will use like 10 tablespoons of powder for a full head application for my almost BSL hair. It’s not the thickest hair but 50g sounds like a lot for a pixie! The first time I hennaed I used 200g for my hair and it didn’t seem like enough but I made it more liquidy after that. There’s a sweet spot between not too thick, not too thin (it will run down your head if it’s too thin) and sugar is supposed to help it gel better and I have found that to be true. But it looks nice even if not as red as you were anticipating
    Thanks, Jane99! Ooh, I'll have to investigate this different dye times thing. That sounds like you use much less henna for much more hair, so I think I definitely need to use more liquid in my mix next time. I've never heard of using sugar - I'll have to give that a go too. So much to learn!
    Growing out a buzzcut since September 2019

    buzz -- shaggy pixie-ish mess -- bob -- SL -- APL -- MBL -- waist -- hip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •