Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Bowl method for wavy/curly hair

I searched and couldn't find this mentioned so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I found out about it recently and I've done it every wash day since and my hair has been loving it! I'm going to put the link to the insta account I learned it from and I do pretty much exactly what she does.

I wash and condition as usual. Rinse everything out - my hair is dripping wet.
    I grab a huge bowl and let my wet hair drip into it. It usually has a cup or two of water in it from drippage and I squirt some leave in or some curl cream directly in the water, swirl it around and dunk my head in. Then I scrunch over the bowl, re-dunk - repeat, several times.
    I used some gellee this time too just like powerdomi does and yeah, in love.
    I also wet plopped in a shower cap for a good 15 min after before plopping in a muslin baby blanket then taking it down to finish air drying.

I have mad shrinkage from it and although I want the length - I'd rather have the juicy, juicy curls so I'm not mad about it.

I think this method so evenly distributes the product because its already diluted perfectly in the water and keeps getting put back in by squishing.

eta: I air dry only 95% of the time so I could probably get more volume - vavaoom if diffusing but I'll leave that for another time to try. This is air dried results on me.

Leaving the link to her instructions on insta below.

Anybody else doing this or want to give it a go?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SXo31JUOW/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Last edited by desisparkles; April 7th, 2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    Chin/MBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Bowl method for wavy/curly hair

Interesting, I'll definitely try it out . Now I only have to find a bowl that large that I don't use for dishwashing xD
    > Growing since 01-01-2018 <
    ChL - NL - SL- CBL- APL - MBL- BSL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL - CL

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hasse View Post
    Interesting, I'll definitely try it out . Now I only have to find a bowl that large that I don't use for dishwashing xD

I use a smallish rectangle storage tub thats a little bigger than shoe box for simmilar things that require a bowl to not waist product or concoctions. I usually store my hair products in it. Its clear and has a lid.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Looks awesome! I'll try it, maybe even next washday
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I've heard of the method and follow powerdomi but I seemed to have missed these videos! They're very good! I always assumed with the bowl method that people used a lot more water in the bowl for some reason... I might try this method out, I've been trying to make my styling as simple as possible but those results might be worth a little extra effort
    Next goal: 34" - Hip

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

For me (disability) it has to be easy. And this sounds... more than "easy"? LOL!

I do love the results, but desi, your hair always looks great to me!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

It sounds like a variation of squish to condish, but your results are phenomenal! Thanks for sharing!
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Idk what to put here ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Your hair looks amazing with that method!

My question is this - Is that the only way to apply your products? Or do you use the leave-in in th bowl method, and then scrunch in your gelee? I'm a bit unclear of that on your post. I'm someone who *HAS* to use gel/gelee/custard or my curls don't last.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
    Your hair looks amazing with that method!

My question is this - Is that the only way to apply your products? Or do you use the leave-in in th bowl method, and then scrunch in your gelee? I'm a bit unclear of that on your post. I'm someone who *HAS* to use gel/gelee/custard or my curls don't last.
    Thanks for all the love, guys

Expecto, I have to use gel if I want hold too. You are correct I don’t squirt the gellee in the bowl. I smooth it on my hair but then I redunked and squished to condish action a couple times. Then I added a little more gellee to my hands then scrunched over the ends before wet plopping.

It sounds like more work as a read, it’s actually simple and pretty much the same as I’ve always done except it’s over a bowl that I re-dip my head in.
    Last edited by desisparkles; April 8th, 2020 at 06:47 PM.
    Super fine and delicate

Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

So y'all - I found another reason to try this method.

I find a lot of things to be too heavy for my fine waves - especially anything with shea butter. But... I love shea moisture products so I kept them hoping to find a way to get them to work for me.

This is my hair with using the shea moisture smoothie bowl method style. I put a tablespoon of it in about 2 cups of water and really dissolved it in the water with my hands. This took a couple minutes as it is THICK!!! Then I dunked my head in and squished and repeated.

After that I squirted some aussie gel right in the water that I had squished out of my hair and was still in the bowl - so gel in the smoothie water mix - and dunked and scrunched a few times.

I love the results. I am going to try it with my shea moisture curl milk next.

Super fine and delicate