Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with styling...

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default I need help with styling...

I haven't posted in forever, been staying away because this place makes me want to buy all the things.

Anyways, I'm currently working as a Paramedic. Normally I wear my hair in a ponytail because I can take it down in between calls and it generally stays put. However, with everything going on right now, the straps on N95 masks keep pushing my ponytail out, or I can't get the straps to sit correctly causing sliding and other issues. Additionally I'd like to find a way to keep my hair from hanging forward over my shoulders when I'm doing CPR, which has become a darn near daily event as opposed to a "Once in a while" occurrence.

I am beyond frustrated. Ficcares pop right out of my hair. Sticks and other pointy things are frowned upon due to frequent interaction with violent patients. I've tried regular old braids, but they unravel because my hair has so many layers, and they still hang, fall forward and get in my way. Most hair styles I've found don't work with hair my length or thickness. My old go to was the basic quattro fork, but I've been maintaining my length and thus have blunt ends that won't stay tucked in.

Basically once it's up it needs to stay up with absolutely no fiddling, and it can't take an hour for me to do. I'm fantastically bad at french braiding, or any braiding that isn't a three strand braid.

My hair is also frizzy, tangled, and an absolute PITA because I have to wash my hair after every shift for decon. I used to be a weekly washer. Now I'm on an almost daily wash schedule. If I wasn't getting married in October, I'd cut back to shoulder length and call it a day. If I didn't screw it up, there's a photo of the disaster I'm trying to work with. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Additionally, headbands/kerchiefs etc are not allowed in uniform policy at current.

https://imgur.com/a/lHx3oH6
    Last edited by Blue Mermaid; April 6th, 2020 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I can't ge the image to work
    Pixie..Chin length...Shoulder length...APL...BSL...WL ​I reached my hair goal!
    Lady Undine Waverunner of the Azure Seas in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I need help with styling...

I think a braided bun would be the best go-to. You can pin it into place with long bobby pins, also called roller pins. Or you could make a ponytail, then twist and bun the length. Again, you can pin it into place with roller pins It does take a bit of practice to make them stay in place, sorry to say, but it probably won't take to long to climb that learning curve. There is of course the looped ponytail. Just don't pull the last loop all the way through. You can also braid the length, then loop it up into the hair tie.

Thanks for all you do for the good of others, and good luck getting the hair under control.

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I’ve got the same hair type as you and my go to hairstyle that works without fail is a braided one. I use a colourful scrunchy as a pony tail holder, braid my hair and without tying the end I hoop the braid around the base of the pony tail and tuck the ends underneath. It’s held in place with the same coloured acrylic stick or a hair fork but I’m sure you could use pins or a clip. How it’s held is more of a personal choice but this style seems to work the best for my hair type. Good luck either way. Yes indeed, thank you for the service you provide. The world would be lost without you paramedics.
    Last edited by hennalonghair; April 6th, 2020 at 10:23 PM.

Is something like a durag or a surgical cap permitted?

Bun it high then cover it inside the cap.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

From your description it sounds like your hair is dry and it looks a little frizzy. In your shoes I would oil the heck out of everything below my ears, every day, to guard the length against the frequent washing.

How are you with a top knot? It's my favorite new thing in life.

When I swim, I braid my hair and tie it off. Then I add an elastic at the base of my braid. That keeps strays from falling out and going everywhere, and I can position my goggle straps above and below the base of my braid. I get a different effect than if I made a ponytail and then braided that. It might be worth trying both ways to see what is more comfortable.

An upside to washing every day is that one can use this weird product called "hairspray." It makes stray hairs stick magically in place. You can buy related stuff like "gel" or "mousse." Normally it would just attract and keep dirt in your hair, but if you're washing every day, that becomes a non-issue.

Hang in there. We're all rooting for you.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

A hair net would be permitted? Looks like you could use a 'cap' of some sort, maybe over a braided bun like Spidermom suggested...
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Have you tried a bun (either braided or not) held with spin pins? My hair goes nowhere when I do that.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I just wrap it up and secure with a claw clip on the end. It lasts and is quite secure, but you can also make a high ponytail and then wrap and then clawclip.

waist lenght - 1b - fine to medium - iii

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If you could bun (is it long enough?) that would be fantastic. Throw some spin pins in there, and there you go. Oh, I see Sarah already had the idea for that. LOL. Sorry, bit late to the "party".
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Folded braid, somehow?

The one thing I didn't see mentioned in your post about toys was flexis - not a hazard like sticks and also very much self-securing. If they are acceptable they might be an option, either to bun or to hold a folded braid, perhaps.

You and your colleagues are doing an amazing job under exceptionally difficult circumstances; 'thank you' isn't enough
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness