Thread: A Re-Introduction

Length
    23/34/45
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default A Re-Introduction

I find that I first signed up for the LHC in 2008. I stuck around for a while and read a ton. But my hair was only APL at the time. Instead, my passion was in discovering authentic 1930s and 1940s styling techniques, and adapting them as part of my everyday routine. So I learned a lot, but my interests were rather niche and I stopped visiting.

The eleven years between then and now have been filled with experimentation. Lots of different curling methods! At least my indeterminate 1c/2a hair is extremely good at holding curl. My length has also varied a little, but it's stayed between below shoulder and low mid back. I like a simple layered cut, since it looks good no matter how tightly curled my hair is, or if it's on day 7 after a wet set. And yes, I kept on working vintage styling techniques. I did a lot with sponge rollers; did y'all know they come in lots of different sizes? But finally I got the nerve, the (short enough) hair length, and the right tools, and I really learned pin curls. (Spoiler: I love them! They are fabulously versatile.) I did pin curls as my regular routine, once a wash, for 3+ years, and a modified pin curl / rag curl blend for the 1.5 years since then.

But mastering pin curls was kind of a pinnacle for me; to do it right, I needed short hair. Once I'd gotten it, though? It was time to seriously grow my hair out.

I remember being able to sit on my hair when I was little. It was a long, thick-seeming, wavy mane. My mother did have to whack it to mid-back when I wasn't bothering to brush it. (I learned!) But I used barrettes; hairs got caught all the time and I would break them loose. By high school it was barely hip length, a false terminal from all the breakage and split ends. I got a significant cut in college and it just never made it back to WL. Yet I still thought of myself as a long hair girl.

Well, I think my hair is now hip length. My last real cut was about Christmas 2016; I've had fairly regular trims since then, but not a real cut. My progress will seem slower from now on. I'm tall and short-waisted, and it's a long way to TBL. I've been investing in hair toys for real, since no single clippie is enough any more. And thanks to lockdown, I will not be getting any trim in the immediate future either.

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: A Re-Introduction

Welcome back! I love to see more interesting hair stories and interests!
    [Shaved | Pixie | Chin | Shoulder | APL | BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Length
    0.25/48/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome back!

Home is where the heart is

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hey there! Welcome back!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hello and welcome back!

I’d love to hear more about the pin curls. I haven’t curled my hair for years but I used to do vintage style wet sets. I found sponge rollers left marks on my hair so I switched to velcro, but after getting one all tangled up I decided to steer clear! It used to take forever for my hair to dry too but the curls would last for days. I used to brush them into waves and that was a hilarious process as my hair got bigger and bigger and then went all Marilyn Monroe

Are the pin curls loose enough that you don’t go through the tightly permed poodle stage? Can you just let them down or do you brush them out into waves?

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome back! Your hair looks beautiful in your avatar photo
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    23/34/45
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcome, leafygreens18, TatsuOni, and lapushka!

Lady Stardust, I will definitely write more about pin curls and wet setting. I saw that pin curls were the hairstyle of the month for March. I may share some of my experiences there, as soon as I dig up some of the older pictures I've taken!

Sponge rollers are good and reliable; you should be able to rotate the plastic part so that the bars don't press down at the top of the section of hair. Their biggest problem is how uncomfortable they are to sleep in. I haven't used velcro rollers - they look very easy to get hair in a super tangle!

One of my tools for pin curls is a soft bonnet hair dryer. I have a vintage one, but they're also available on Amazon. I will set my hair in the middle of the evening, then sit on the sofa under the dryer for 45-60 minutes and watch TV or fool around on the computer before going to bed. In the morning my hair is perfectly dry. The bonnet dryer is basically a giant, encapsulating diffuser, so there's no direct jet of air on the hair (to fuzz it out of the curl) or scalp. And you don't have to stand and hold it!

Thank you, Sarahlabyrinth! It's an updo of my own invention. It's curled with large rag curls, put in a high pony, and flipped forward and clipped down with a flat clip. Then I flip it back and divide it into sections, and shape each basically into a ringlet with my fingers. Then cross over the sections some and pin down where the curl makes sense. I like the height and volume it gives at the top back of my head.

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome back!

Length
    23/34/45
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thank you! I'm glad to be back.

Sunny it’s a good idea to put the pin curl information in that thread.

My mum had one of those driers! It’ll be around somewhere. I don’t know if it still works, I remember sitting under it in the late 70s/early 80s while my mum curled hair for my birthday party Most of her hair accessories/equipment were from the 50s and 60s. By the 70s she had kids so less time and a tight perm!