Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honey and yogurt mask fail :(

Default Re: Honey and yogurt mask fail :(

So I washed, didn't condition, and slathered my damp hair in neutral protein filler and it feels much, much better.

I'm now remembering that 20 years ago a hairdresser friend used to make me use K-PAC when my hair was cranky from colouring, and my hair looooved it, so I'm not surprised it's responding well now.

I thought I was going to have to chop off the last 2 inches, but now the ends aren't nearly as crunchy. I still need a solid 1 inch trim, but I'm suuuuuper overdue.

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bellalla View Post
    My hair is a bit fried from a lot of whole head, 30 volume red dye sessions, so I got inspired to try and rehab it a bit with honey and yogurt.

I use this mask regularly on my face and it moisturizes beautifully.

Well...not so much on my poor poor hair.
    OMG, my hair hasn't felt this awful since I bleached it white from dyed black.

My hair is still wet, but it feels like once it dries it's just going to break right off. I also feel like it's shedding like crazy.
    This is horrible!

Anyone else ever had such a vile response to honey and yogurt? I know honey produces peroxide and that can cause damage, but I'm used to peroxide damage, this is nasty, knotted, and just feels angry. It's making a squeaking sound as I run my hands through it, and that's after conditioning it 3 times.

Wowza.
    It has nothing to do with the very small and negligible amounts of peroxide that can be let off from the degradation of honey, and everything to do with the molecules of typical food products used for hair masks being way too big to even remotely penetrate the hair shaft. Even for chemically processed hair, most food products just sit on top of the hair, and leave a coating or residue even after washing.

If you’re going to use food products at least mix it with more water, wisk or blend it to further break down the molecules, or mix it with a conditioner or deep conditioner.

Since you’ve seen better progress using something else, I’d just say to keep doing what’s working for you.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Followed up my protein today with SMT and my hair is now soft and extremely puffy, like a freshly groomed poodle.

The last inch is still a crispy, tangly mess, there's no getting around that it needs to be chopped off, but the rest is feeling pretty good.

I'll be trying henna soon, which I'm really hoping strengthens it, as my top layer is just a lovely halo of breakage from top to bottom.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I have noticed that yogurt masks make my hair crunchy and gross. I'm going to guess it's too much protein?

I have been finding SMT (or better yet SMT but with avocado instead of aloe) to work a lot better than a yogurt treatment.

YMMV of course.