Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying henna for the first time *holding my breath!!!!*

Default Re: Trying henna for the first time *holding my breath!!!!*

I don’t have personal experience with the Henna Guys however this brand is mentioned in some of the threads around here with various posters skeptical of the claim of 100% henna. One thread mentions an off smell to the henna.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

It's possibile to have lighter and darker batches of henna, in which the plant produced less or more dye molecules (lawsone for henna).
    But I'm not sure if this Is the case for Henna Guys' henna. I don't have experience with the brand.
    Pixie!- Shingle - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder...

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered it before finding the Nightblooming Etsy site, but it was too late to cancel the order.

I just won't use it.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bellalla View Post
    Okay, I have another question that I'm not sure anyone can answer, but here goes.

Before I ordered Fire Genasi, I had already ordered Red Henna and Orange Red Henna from Henna Guys. The packages arrived and both claim to contain 100% henna???

I had assumed that the Orange Red Henna would be a cassia blend, but it doesn't indicate any cassia.

After reading Nightshade's test on different types of pure henna all basically producing the exact same result, I can't imagine one type would be orange and the other red??

Does anyone have experience with these products?
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    It's possibile to have lighter and darker batches of henna, in which the plant produced less or more dye molecules (lawsone for henna).
    But I'm not sure if this Is the case for Henna Guys' henna. I don't have experience with the brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellalla View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I ordered it before finding the Nightblooming Etsy site, but it was too late to cancel the order.

I just won't use it.

Oh that is interesting. Be curious to see if you strand tested with them to see if you got two different colors. The theory is that different types of henna "should" produce different colors because of variations in their dye content, but I've literally never seen it in person. One potential option is that they're using older henna (which could be less potent and take more orange than red using this assumption) as the 'orange' one and the newer, theoretically stronger crop as 'orange'.

I would do a strand test, if just out of pure curiosity and isolation boredom, but since all of my hair except for 1cm is already very very red, I can't see my hair providing a great basis for comparison.

I'm quite curious though...

While I wait for my henna to arrive, I thought I would post some pics of my hair.
    Here are two photos of my hair at this very moment in indirect sunlight, one is a little more exposed so makes it look brighter.

This is what my hair looked like freshly dyed, but with 20 volume instead of 30, indoors with fluorescent lights. My hair has never actually looked like this under any normal circumstances, that was professionally styled for a photo shoot.

And this is a very very rare photo of my virgin hair in direct sunlight, indoors it's very much brown, not blonde like in this photo

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Your hair looks lovely! Since you are aiming for coppery color, I think you might be very satisfied with the results. That's the one thing henna is really great at! I feel like your base color might lead to a rather vibrant result, from what I've seen in before & after's.
    I'm sorry if I missed you answering this somewhere, but will you be strand-testing?
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL | SBL | MBL ~ (curly)
    ears | shoulders | CBL | APL+ | SBL | MBL ~ (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

You have perfect hair for henna, it will take very nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    Your hair looks lovely! Since you are aiming for coppery color, I think you might be very satisfied with the results. That's the one thing henna is really great at! I feel like your base color might lead to a rather vibrant result, from what I've seen in before & after's.
    I'm sorry if I missed you answering this somewhere, but will you be strand-testing?
    My hair colour is funny, it photographs blonder than it looks in person because it doesn't really reflect light. Even my non grey hairs have the flat look that grey hair can have. That shine in the photos is definitely not present in person, my hair has absolutely no shine and never has, it has a cottony kind of texture.

I may or may not do a strand test, I have always been quite chill about haircolour outcomes. I now feel pretty confident that I know how to avoid burgundy hair, otherwise, I'm not overly concerned about how the colour turns out, I'm lucky that my skin tone works with literally almost every colour and I'm never afraid of chopping it all off and starting over.

Plus, I kind of like being surprised.

Double post
    Last edited by Bellalla; April 8th, 2020 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Oops