Thread: Cruelty-Free Alternative to VO5?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Cruelty-Free Alternative to VO5?

I've been loving various VO5 conditioners as co-wash and rinse-out and I actually like the shampoo-cleansing but very gentle. And I LOVE that it is only $0.78 a pop! I didn't realize that like Suave, VO5 is owned by Unilever and not cruelty-free.

I'm looking for cheap, silicone/mineral oil-free substitute, detangling is priority, available on the ground a plus... I know nothing will be priced this low, but it's worth it to me to find an alternative. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Cruelty-Free Alternative to VO5?

It's not going to cost you under a dollar, for sure!!!

Maybe try the Not Your Mother's line? Or HASK. Those are about the cheapest CF ones out there, I think.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I keep hearing this about V05, but my bottles all still say they are owned by High Ridge Brands, and "this product not tested on animals" (which I realize could mean nothing).
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Live Clean Superfruit Conditioner. No cones, mineral oil, or protein (since that’s also not in most VO5 products and may natter to some). Same with their Argan oil line, but I think that’s been discontinued I like other conditioners from them too, but everything else has protein in it as far as I’m aware.

Never tried their shampoos; I go through the stuff so slowly I simply haven’t gotten around to it.
    Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind.
    Unruly mixture of 3s. Usually around BCL/TBL curly. TBL+ stretched.
    My progress pix on imgur

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Boycotting anything in the states is nearly impossible, but Garnier owns my conditioner game and they're owned by L'Oreal. L'Oreal says they "don't test on animals" but.... I'm doubtful that means much. But they've got quite a few options -

My pick - Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive conditioner, this is my holy grail conditioner, thick and super nourishing. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=136393

Other options:

-Garnier treats - all sorts of masks ALL cone free - here's the thread dedicated to them. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=145438 They also have a conditioner and shampoo to go with.

-Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner - This is their aloe conditioner - it's fine, it worked okay for me. But it's not my favorite.

Another option, but more expensive is anything from the Maui Moisture line, I believe it's cruelty free, vegan etc.. etc..
    [Shaved | Pixie | Chin | Shoulder | APL | BSL | Waist | Onward...]

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/31/TBL +
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I second Leafy’s legendary olive condish review, it’s really really good!!!!

Both are my hair naturally.
    Heat and Dye Free.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Thanks for the recommendations. That Live Clean Superfruit looks promising; it does have beeswax (hopefully farmed ethically)and carnauba wax, but it's not too high on the list so maybe no real build up. Legendary Olive has mineral oil very high up on the list. It's been a long time since I used anything with mineral oil, but it wasn't pretty in the past. Maybe this configuration will be different. I know it may seem stupid to try to avoid animal testing since there are so many things we use that are tested this way, but I figure I can eliminate items for myself anyway(my daughters like what they like) one by one. I have to research Hask (I remember it from ages ago, but I have no clue what they have now) and Not Your Mothers-not familiar with this line at all. This is a great start-thank you!