Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOS complete newbie at hair care.

Question SOS complete newbie at hair care.

file:///Users/ameliaprice/Desktop/IMG_0265.jpeg

I took a picture of my hair yesterday, but I am unsure how to attach it? [IMG]file:///Users/ameliaprice/Desktop/IMG_0265.jpeg[/IMG]

Anyways, my hair is about 50 cm or 19.6 inches...first time I ever measured my hair. I am a natural blonde and don't dye my hair. My hair is naturally fine I would say, but there is some thickness. Yet, as it grows longer it is weaker and more dry I think (see picture if you can). I hope to grow longer, thicker hair to my waist

I ordered this Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor and a Hair turban yesterday. I am also going to try wearing my hair in a bun style everyday with some coconut oil perhaps? I will start braiding my hair before bed. My diet is fairly healthy and I exercise 6 x a week. So, I am now going to shampoo once a week. My current hair tools: a plastic wide tooth comb, a plastic narrow tooth comb, and a brush that is flat with the plastic like bristles. I am also doing a hair mask once a week now, maybe eggs and olive oil.

Anyways, any tips for my particular hair would be so HELPFUL. I was never taught hair care. It needs TLC. It is dry in the picture if you can see. Excited to be here. Hope to document a hair transformation!

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: SOS complete newbie at hair care.

Welcome here! I can't see your picture, but using moisturising masks on your hair, and oil treatments should help a lot with the dryness. Also, not using heat tools on your hair, if you can avoid those your hair will thank you.

Also - don't pile all your hair on top of your head and scrub it furiously when you wash it, you only need to wash the scalp, gently massaging it and all the suds will run down the hair and clean it that way.
    Always comb your hair very gently, starting at the ends and gradually working up towards your scalp, never just rip through tangles! Always detangle with a comb, never a hair brush (unless you have a special brush designed for using on wet hair).
    If you want good protection for your ends (so they don't get as damaged and potentially break off, or split) learn some protective styles, updos and braids. YOu may also choose to sleep using a silk or satin pillowcase or sleep cap. They help prevent tangles.

Good luck and happy growing to you!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Sarahlabyrinth, thank you so miuch for the tips!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome to the forum!

This is a link to a picture on your home computer. We can't see that. You would need to "upload" that picture to the internet first, by using a photohosting site, like Imgur, for instance. It is the one I use, so the one I know most about. If you create an account there, make sure you set your albums to private, because otherwise you will get comments on that platform! You can still link your picture here once it has been uploaded by pasting the BBCode here! That should work.

Joico is "nice", don't get me wrong! But you don't need expensive hairproducts at all to make your hair thrive and be the best it can be. Of course this is a very individual thing. Some people love pampering their hair.

Also I don't know how often you wash your hair right now? But go slowly, add one day more, then after a couple weeks of this, add one day more. Go like that, don't "shock" the system.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing you around!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hi lapushka,

Thank you for the nice welcome.

Here is the imgur link: https://imgur.com/ZaxOzG5
    I was washing my hair maybe 2-3 times a week depending on my workout intensity. I think it will be okay with rinses and once a week shampoos? Yes, I agree with the natural, resonable hair care products. I bought this one, because I read it on one of the LHC articles.
    Do you think it is okay to use coconut oil as a type of leave in conditioner in my hair for the next weeks while I am in quarantine? I will be braiding my hair or putting it in a bun. Also, what shampoo do you recommend? What is your favorite hair mask?

Thank You

New photo link: https://imgur.com/ZaxOzG5

Sarahlabyrinth, what are some protective hairstyles you recommend? Or maybe a website I could learn to do more hairstyles?

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by arprice View Post
    Sarahlabyrinth, what are some protective hairstyles you recommend? Or maybe a website I could learn to do more hairstyles?
    There are many tutorials for protective hairstyles on You Tube. It's best not to use elastics as they can damage and break the hair. I have some tutorials for protective styles on my YT channel, SarahlabyrinthLHC. Hope this helps!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by arprice View Post
    Hi lapushka,

Thank you for the nice welcome.

Here is the imgur link: https://imgur.com/ZaxOzG5
    I was washing my hair maybe 2-3 times a week depending on my workout intensity. I think it will be okay with rinses and once a week shampoos? Yes, I agree with the natural, resonable hair care products. I bought this one, because I read it on one of the LHC articles.
    Do you think it is okay to use coconut oil as a type of leave in conditioner in my hair for the next weeks while I am in quarantine? I will be braiding my hair or putting it in a bun. Also, what shampoo do you recommend? What is your favorite hair mask?

Thank You
    It looks really pretty & healthy to me!

And it's waist length, that's a major milestone around these parts. Yay!

And yes you can leave in coconut oil (or any other oil you love) in your hair just fine. If you do use it post-wash, as a leave-in, then just a couple drops is going to be enough, spread through palms and then smoothed just over the tippy tips of the hair. You don't need a lot of oil for this, trust me! If you have a dropper bottle all the better, but it should be a tiny amount, or your ends may get oily.

And you're welcome.

I love newbies and new "faces" I can help out.

I myself went from 2/3 washes a week to weekly washing. I had to wash every 2 weeks due to medical reasons and suddenly I could get away with a weekly wash (overstretched I guess). LOL!

But just see how you go.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lapushka and Sarahlabryinth,

Wow didn't realize it is waist length!! I guess the next goal would be mid waist length or what is the next length called? Lol. Thank you, I was feeling discouraged about my hair these days. I think I put too much coconut oil in my hair, but I might also try this "Amla" oil, my friend from India recommended or Jojoba oil for fine hair.

Sarah, I will check out your youtube video today!
    I will update a new hair picture in about a month after my new regiment! I see both of you have really long gorgeous hair.