Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long long time lurker seeking help please <3

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Long long time lurker seeking help please <3

Hi, Ive been kind of lurking for 3 years, (I had to do a huge chop spring 2017 as I moved into a house with only a boiling shower which completely ruined my hair and I had to cut to collar bone length boo)
    I've tried to grow it out tho find it hard due to anaemia. I tend to wash my hair 1x warm water 1x cold water a week and use palmers non sulphate coconut or their rose water and lavender line. HOWEVER since the virus (Im in london and things have got very serious) I am having to wash every other day and am super worried about this.
    I am also expected to keep working as schools are shut for all but the vulnerable and I have to use a swimming/hydrotherapy pool EVERY DAY now and wearing a hat isnt an option (Kids will pull it off theyre cheeky) so I am kind of worried that in all of this Im going to end up ruining my hair again and I really dont want to as its taken me a really long time to get to even waist length.
    (FYI my hair is very prone to greasiness, is mostly straight, I have a fringe and an undercut, my hands are on my waist in the photo and you can see under where my hip juts out so you can get a vague sense of my length and thickness)
    SO please if anyone has any tips on how to keep my hair actually clean so that I dont take germs home with me while not completely ruining it I would be really appreciative. Also I am now covering my hair a lot more during day times. I tend to braid or twist braid it while at school and only wear it down for special occasions. Photo attached is pretty bad quality but here is my hair being very flat and slightly wavy today. Any styling ideas would be useful or ways of washing it too please.

https://imgur.com/a/pg89HwA

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Long long time lurker seeking help please <3

Welcome!

One tip. If you wash your hair with products then make sure your products are out, and the only way to guarantee that is to wash with warm water. Cold water has difficulty getting product out, and sanitizing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

If you no longer have to deal with the super hot showers, washing your hair 4X a week is absolutely fine. Many people shampoo daily. If you have a scalp condition that is bothered by your product, it might be worth trying gentler products. Coconut oil + cocoa butter are not ideal if your hair is prone to greasiness.

Additional things that come to mind: Are you using conditioner? Are you air-drying your hair? Are you detangling slowly and gently? Hair is most fragile when wet.
    Last edited by -Fern; March 24th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Oh yes I didnt really explain my routine
    I shampoo 2xweekly and condition 1 time mask with either dream lengths loreal or the palmers. I let air dry and apply some almond on the ends and dreams lengths cream or palmers leave in cream, once almost dry I use a tangle teaser to detangle ends first. At night I out my hair in a braid with a silk scrunchie and use satin pillowcase. Im concerned about dryness of the ends after shampooing more than anything as well as manual breakage in terms of how to style and cover hair during the day in a way that is secure enough that if I get pulled about by kids it won't all fall out.

Also thank both for your replies <3

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Shampooing is just to get the scalp clean, and the dryness from it you can always combat with some or more conditioner, even conditioning twice (CWC or WCC methods on this board) will help hugely with this.

And I wouldn't worry, like Fern already mentioned, about washing more. It does not hurt in any way. Just as long as you moisturize well afterwards (without weighing the hair down, it is a careful balancing act sometimes).

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Thats made me feel a bit more confident about having to wash more frequently thank you i was really dreading the dryness and will try to treat my hair a bit more gently to counter the more shampooings

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kitttycat View Post
    Thats made me feel a bit more confident about having to wash more frequently thank you i was really dreading the dryness and will try to treat my hair a bit more gently to counter the more shampooings
    Awesome! I mean, if you feel like it, just wash it, it's no big deal, really!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Hi!
    Hope you're ok in London with the virus, I'm also in the UK and this is such a stressful time. Sending you the best!
    If I'm washing my hair more than usual I tend to oil the ends of my hair before I shower to stop the shampoo from stripping them out too much. I usually put conditioner or a bit of a hair mask on my ends before shampooing too.
    Keeping your hair clean is a priority in this time I suppose, but maybe you could up the amount of oil and conditioning treatments you do during the week to give it a bit of extra love? I think the shampoo you are using is quite gentle anyway, I used to use that coconut Palmers one a lot!
    Hope this helps!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Thank you I oiled my ends before shampoo today and have to say it does feel slightly better i hope youre ok its all very scary especially as some of us are key workers going out everyday and being at risk <3

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum - and keep safe!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR