Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Hair experiments during quarantine?

Default Re: Hair experiments during quarantine?

Kokorodragon, what’s the name of the emulsifying wax you’re using? I’ll use up the btms but am also trying to stay as natural as possible. I washed my hair this morning with egg to get out the residual greasiness from my length and it feels so nice and soft... maybe this is a “pre poo” conditioner

So my next idea, since maybe there’s some magic in chemical conditioner to make it wash out nice... one of the recipes I found had an extra surficant in it to make a “cleansing conditioner” so I was considering maybe using soapnut liquid as the water base? But soapnuts are so conditioning themselves would adding them to conditioner be “guilding the lily” ?

Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm thinking of finally ending the bleached blonde hair for good and coloring my hair to my natural brunette and leaving it the heck alone. I'll have a few white/grey streaks to deal with, but that will be so much easier than the blonde. My hair grows so fast I'm constantly touching it up. Also, I'm sick and tired of the constant battle against splits from the bleaching.
    Lady Daeryane Moone of the Silken Sunshine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    "Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G. K. Chesterton

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator. I work as a nurse in a hospital and i have almost classic length hair that I like to wear up in a bun so it's completely out of my way at work. My buns are about 6 to 6.5 inches in diameter and they don't work at all under the respirators I've been having to wear pretty frequently at work now. An english braid works well but the braid shedding after a 12 hour shift is pretty bad! I've been experimenting with a hawser braid which has been fun and so pretty! However even in a braid it's so long it gets in the way at work, I can't have it swinging over my shoulder as I try to start an IV! All the hairstyles I bothered to learn as my hair got long were different types of buns, so now i'm quickly trying to learn new braids that don't shed a lot. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Three appointments yesterday were at hospitals. Apparently I'm essential.

One of them, specifically, requires the little pleated paper masks to be worn at all times even though they are completely ineffectual. Needless to say my beard makes that a challenge. And no, I have no intention of shaving.

Anyway, this was my answer.

Ladies, you asked about braiding my beard? Here you go.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Darian Moone View Post
    I'm thinking of finally ending the bleached blonde hair for good and coloring my hair to my natural brunette and leaving it the heck alone. I'll have a few white/grey streaks to deal with, but that will be so much easier than the blonde. My hair grows so fast I'm constantly touching it up. Also, I'm sick and tired of the constant battle against splits from the bleaching.
    Sounds like a great idea to me. In my case when I went from light to "my own" color again, I tried to get box dye as close to my own hair color as best as possible, but I still got roots; and it is so tempting to want to touch that up, hence the cycle goes on.

Don't be tempted! Wishing you the best! Tell us how it goes.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    29"/TB/CLSC
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jenn14 View Post
    My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator. I work as a nurse in a hospital and i have almost classic length hair that I like to wear up in a bun so it's completely out of my way at work. My buns are about 6 to 6.5 inches in diameter and they don't work at all under the respirators I've been having to wear pretty frequently at work now. An english braid works well but the braid shedding after a 12 hour shift is pretty bad! I've been experimenting with a hawser braid which has been fun and so pretty! However even in a braid it's so long it gets in the way at work, I can't have it swinging over my shoulder as I try to start an IV! All the hairstyles I bothered to learn as my hair got long were different types of buns, so now i'm quickly trying to learn new braids that don't shed a lot. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any!

Have you tried a crown broad or milk maid braids? They should be flatter and might work. You could also try the vortex bun.

Length
    13/21/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Kokorodragon, what’s the name of the emulsifying wax you’re using? I’ll use up the btms but am also trying to stay as natural as possible. I washed my hair this morning with egg to get out the residual greasiness from my length and it feels so nice and soft... maybe this is a “pre poo” conditioner

So my next idea, since maybe there’s some magic in chemical conditioner to make it wash out nice... one of the recipes I found had an extra surficant in it to make a “cleansing conditioner” so I was considering maybe using soapnut liquid as the water base? But soapnuts are so conditioning themselves would adding them to conditioner be “guilding the lily” ?
    It's just called olive derived emulsifying wax, I don't think it has another name.

Adding soapnut liquid sounds like it could work! I used thin flaxseed gel and AVG for my water base, since I know my hair loves them already. I don't have soapnuts, but if I did that would probably be my next experiment! Maybe I could soak some lye soap in the water for a bit, just to get a tiny bit in there? I feel like that would probably help with the grease problem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn14 View Post
    My quarantine experiments have mostly been consisting of trying to find a hairstyle that will work for me underneath a max-air respirator.
    What is the problem you have with the respirator? I'm happy to admit that my knowledge of hospital respirators is extremely limited.

For instance, when I'm in a hard hat the adjustment screw is dead center in the back. Anything that makes a bulge at that point becomes problematic for me.

If the same thing is happening to you, use a hairstyle that doesn't add bulk in the back.

Twin dutch braids work beautifully. So would double space buns. Or even a single large but low bun at the nape of your neck.

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    Three appointments yesterday were at hospitals. Apparently I'm essential.

One of them, specifically, requires the little pleated paper masks to be worn at all times even though they are completely ineffectual. Needless to say my beard makes that a challenge. And no, I have no intention of shaving.

Anyway, this was my answer.

Ladies, you asked about braiding my beard? Here you go.

Heh.

What's up with face masks paranoia? Everyone wants them... They don't really do much.
    Cut off tailbone hair to bob <3
    ...and then buzzed my hair off.
    I work here: mobilny dietetyk gliwice

Quote Originally Posted by 01 View Post
    Heh.

What's up with face masks paranoia? Everyone wants them... They don't really do much.
    I do computer work, including at hospitals. And while you and I know that face masks, particularly the little pleated paper ones, really don't do much, they do comfort the uninformed.

Let's face it, it's probably a thing with the lawyers. Oh, at least we did something, we can't be held liable.

Particularly with my beard there is absolutely no way anything would seal anyway. I would need the beard friendly Israeli masks and while they are available on the market, I don't have one.

Wouldn't protect my eyes either.

Anyway I just thought folks might enjoy this. All of us with long hair have braided at some point, often with the intention of getting it out of the way for some justifiable reason. But long braided beards are a definite oddity in this group.