Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemon or ACV to prevent bleeding?

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Lemon or ACV to prevent bleeding?

Hi, I was just reading through the forums and I need to ask about something. I am scared that henna will bleed even when I wash it out on clothes or towels etc. To prevent it, I found that I should put either something acidic in the mixture (like lemon juice) or to do ACV rinse afterwards. Is it true? Which one is better, do you think? I will mix 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia to get copper.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: Lemon or ACV to prevent bleeding?

I haven’t had any problems with henna bleeding yet, but I have only done a couple full strength henna applications. I used lemon juice in one mix, ACV in a gloss mix, and neither in the last full strength application. I have not used a vinegar rinse right after application. Some people say the lemon juice can dry your hair out, and I’ve also read the acid can inhibit dye release. I did notice the application that had no vinegar or lemon juice had a deeper color but there were other variables in there too (frozen dye and I left it on my head longer too). But once the henna is out, my hair hasn’t bled color but YMMV

I'm not sure if the dye is actually bleeding, or if it's simply that not all of the paste has been washed completely out of your hair...

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

It has been my experience that henna does not bleed much AT ALL, once you wash it out. It's messy going on but quite stable once it's in your hair. The only advice I have to offer is that you be sure to rinse really well.
    I use a mild(tbsp. Or so in 32oz. Of distilled water) vinegar rinse after application, with an eye toward it setting the color. I can't really say how or if it helps, because I've never NOT used it!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I'm not sure if the dye is actually bleeding, or if it's simply that not all of the paste has been washed completely out of your hair...
    I'm pretty sure it's the latter. The dye molecule in henna binds to the hair shaft; this is why it's pretty much impossible to remove henna.

My advice would be to a) when you remove the henna rinse really well, then rinse some more, and b) use dark towels to dry your hair for the first couple of washes after hennaing. I've had some faint orange staining on white and pale towels, but the darker ones have been fine (at least, any staining doesn't show).
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I''ve never had any problems with henna staining anything after I've washed it out. Indigo is another story

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I used henna from Lush that already had lemon juice in the mix and it still bled and stained whatever it bled on for the first couple of weeks after the treatment
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

In every event of bleeding I've seen with my customers

1) They weren't washing their henna out well
    2) They were using something like a Lush bar or Henna Sooq gloss bar where the henna was in some sort of oil or butter
    3) both of the above

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Thank you all for the answers. I will be using powder henna and cassia.

Nightshade: I remember when I used henna before that it was a bit of a chore to get it all out...do you have any suggestion to be sure it is all gone?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    Thank you all for the answers. I will be using powder henna and cassia.

Nightshade: I remember when I used henna before that it was a bit of a chore to get it all out...do you have any suggestion to be sure it is all gone?
    Shampoo and condition it out A lot of people are afraid to use shampoo because it might damage their color. It won't. We're talking about henna, the stuff can more or less weather a nuclear blast for 99% of the people who put it on their hair. Do a mermaid soak (optional, I don't do these), shampoo, condition, shampoo, condition, and rinse like mad. You'll get it out