Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2020: Pincurls

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default March 2020: Pincurls

Pincurls are sections of hair wrapped up, often around a finger or two and pinned to the scalp. They can be used as accents with other styles, clustered to create a style, or use as heatless curl method.

How do you use them?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: March 2020: Pincurls

I often use pincurls to deal with the extra length left from coronet braids. Sometimes the next day the curls are still distinct enough to display.

Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

That's really cute, Neko!

Length
    BSL/58/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

My mom used to put my hair in pincurls with bobby pins (in an X) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT so I would have curls in my long, then blond, hair until I was in the 5th grade. Imagine a helmet of bobby pins to sleep on every night.

Maybe I have sufficiently recovered to try it again.

Length
    3"/APL/WL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lunalocks View Post
    My mom used to put my hair in pincurls with bobby pins (in an X) EVERY SINGLE NIGHT so I would have curls in my long, then blond, hair until I was in the 5th grade. Imagine a helmet of bobby pins to sleep on every night.

Hehe lunalocks the way in which you wrote that made me chuckle...not at your suffering of course!

Neko that really looks very adorable. The whole hair style frankly, the coronet braids with the flower and the pin curl.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017. Last Chem Dye Aug 2019. Last Henna Feb 2020

Quote Originally Posted by lunalocks View Post

TBH this month's style made me cringe :

My Mother also did TIGHT pincurls on me ...all over my head....for hours and overnight inspite of protests and crying.

This went on from the time I was in kindergarten until I could rebuff her in my preteen years grade 5/6 also; then she cut it short and did home perms until I was in 8th grade

I am 68 and have suffered for @63 years with a very sensitive scalp, frequent headaches and migraines with scalp muscle spasms that are tender to the touch, and even laying my head on a pillow is too much some nights.
    Forget tight ponytails and barrettes, high buns, or braids; even a strand of hair pulling can set off a headache.

So I will be passing on this one and can't even bear to read the posts, as pretty as the pics are

PLEASE don't use pincurls on your little ones ...use gentle foam rollers (when awake)

My PTSD moment is over...carry on...I'm outta here
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; March 3rd, 2020 at 09:37 AM.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My mom and her sisters are about 66-73 and also suffered the wrath of the whole-head pincurls! Although I think their mom (who was a hair stylist) opted for rag curls more often. Might be no coincidence three of the four of them have worn very short styles for many years now!

I will be trying the coronet braid style. I really like that, especially with the flower. I wonder if I can come up with any other ways to use a pincurl as an accent.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You poor traumatized dears! My mother consented to do my hair in either rag or pin curls on a few occasions. She (a natural curly) was also traumatized by them as a child. NOTHING is comfortable to sleep in, but I’ll take rags or even pins over rollers.

Ages ago, there was a thread about a wedding hairstyle that was basically just large pincurls. Really beautiful, but it seems like the last time I went looking for it, the pictures were long gone. *sigh*

Length
    17/33/n/a
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I, too, suffered from childhood pincurls! It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title for this thread. Ugh! It must have been a '50's thing. Our poor mothers had no idea what trauma they were causing. . .

Student of long hair care squirrrel's Avatar
    Length
    24/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Sounds like I was very lucky that making my hair curl was only ever attempted with rag curls over night. My mum has stories of brushing ringlets out on her way to school as she prefers the light waves look... not sure whether she was subjected to pin curls though.