Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Untangling near the roots

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Untangling near the roots

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    I have a lot of experience with lint tangles. The distinguishing feature of lint tangles is that they are persistent - they survive many washing/untangling cycles because the lint has become wrapped around the hairs.

Lint tangles can also come out on their own, but usually not as easily as hair-over-hair tangles.
    Ed
    I don't get how they can still be there after a wash?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I don't get how they can still be there after a wash?
    Cotton lint is very strong. It becomes wrapped around one or more hairs during washing and then is hard to remove. Removal has to be done mechanically by combing. I am an expert at this.

That being said, the really fine lint that I am removing now is polyester. It is weak but sticky (and saturated in waxy sebum). Polyester lint also requires mechanical removal. I cannot rinse it from my comb or fingers. It needs scrubbing.

The relationship to my original question is that lint and tangles compound each other. The folds have lint in them, and the lint causes the folds to form even as the hair grows. This happens close to the scalp. I have to untangle in the weird manner of lying down to get the folds out.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

My roots tangle more than the majority of my hair. I find it easier to go finger detangle the bottom first while in the shower, work my way up to the roots and finger detangle those. Then I can use my TT and work from ends to roots.

Bigger lint pieces get stuck in my hair, and whether or not they come out after a wash I couldn't tell you. They are there. Never used to have this problem, so I'm not sure what changed, but that's a pain. I don't think it's fully related to the tangling of the roots, which is more of a texture problem, but the lint is also incredibly annoying.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll
    Bigger lint pieces get stuck in my hair, and whether or not they come out after a wash I couldn't tell you. They are there. Never used to have this problem, so I'm not sure what changed, but that's a pain. I don't think it's fully related to the tangling of the roots, which is more of a texture problem, but the lint is also incredibly annoying.
    I think the explanation is in the rates. If one's detangling routine is removing lint at a faster rate than it is settling in the hair, then lint does not accumulate. If one's detangling routine is removing lint at a slower rate than it is settling, then lint accumulates. This is why people's experiences are so different.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I use a wetbrush for both wet and dry hair, so even though I wash 2x a week, I brush daily. Particularly in the winter, lint can be pervasive--I wash my brush at least once a week, sometimes twice.

The wetbrush is just hands down easier to clean than a comb... I soak it in hot water for 30 seconds or so and then massage the tines, done in 2 minutes flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AGZEG4U
    ETA: [Be cautious, apparently there are many fakes on Amazon. The one I got was genuine amd has the Wetbrush seal, but buyer beware! Linking primarily so you can see what it looks like and how far apart the bristles are.]

I also massage my shampoo into my roots with my fingertips or a shampoo brush, which helps remove both sebum and lint. I can't remember if you are water-only or not, but lint is going to stick to sebum. It seems counter-intuitive, but you may want to scrub your roots more thoroughly (and detangle promptly after).

The other thing that occurs to me is that you said you flip your hair... I do frequently brush my hair out upside down to stimulate my scalp, but I have to do it gradually, leaning over to the side first and continuing to brush as I slowly rotate my head. Same process when flipping my hair back over. Otherwise I do get lots of tangles!
    Last edited by -Fern; February 17th, 2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Type
    2a/C/iii

Thanks -Fern for the link. I remember that akurah uses a brush after combing. That may be the most thorough method.

I use water-only washing with warm water to loosen the sebum. I comb out my hair after it has stopped dripping. Sebum is really good at getting lint out because its waxiness causes lint to stick to the comb (which I then clean).

I know there is a thread on combing/brushing upside down ("inversion method"). That is essential to thorough tangling. My lying-down method should achieve similar results.
    Ed

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/40in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/iii

My tangles are mostly at the roots too. In general, type 4 hair is known for tangling and having the hairs just bunch up and wrap about eachother from root to tip anyways. I find that it’s just the nature of my hair as well. So long as I can isolate the area where the tangling is, I can mitigate breakage. Keeping my hair separated also is a must. Smaller braids, plaits, and twists are my go-to styles.
    “A Wizard is never late! He arrives precisely when he means to!”
    Chin>Neck>SL>BSL>WL>HL>BCL>TBL>Classic>Upper Thigh
    I was the only one who wasn’t King Fu Fighting.

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I guess I was trying to say that if I flip straight over and try to brush my hair, it causes tangles. iii hair woes.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Type
    2a/C/iii

AutobotsAttack - I can see that type 4 hair is very hard to detangle.

-Fern - thanks for the clarification. I agree that changing the direction gradually helps.
    Ed

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I always detangle by hand, gently pulling the tangles apart with my fingers. When I brush or comb I go very slowly, waiting to feel the snag of a tangle.
    Then I stop, find the tangle, and gently detangle it. No matter where it is on my head, this is how I go about it. No inversion (or any other gymnastics!) necessary.
    Your hair is much thicker than mine though, EdG. As with everything YMMV and that's just what I personally do.
    Just trying to get by