Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Untangling near the roots

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Untangling near the roots

I never get tangling near the roots well maybe if I swim in the sea with my hair down and loose, but in this case everything is tangled and I'm in trouble my hair is very slippery (no wonder considering how much product I put into it), so I don't think I ever get tangles, everything just slides out and unravels on its own.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Type
    2a/C/iii

0xalis - the untangling gymnastics become necessary as one's hair grows longer.

Joules - you have Houdini hair like TatsuOni.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    Cotton lint is very strong. It becomes wrapped around one or more hairs during washing and then is hard to remove. Removal has to be done mechanically by combing. I am an expert at this.

That being said, the really fine lint that I am removing now is polyester. It is weak but sticky (and saturated in waxy sebum). Polyester lint also requires mechanical removal. I cannot rinse it from my comb or fingers. It needs scrubbing.

The relationship to my original question is that lint and tangles compound each other. The folds have lint in them, and the lint causes the folds to form even as the hair grows. This happens close to the scalp. I have to untangle in the weird manner of lying down to get the folds out.
    Ed
    It always goes after a wash for me, but this is me. YMMV.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    It always goes after a wash for me, but this is me. YMMV.
    I think the explanation is that a small difference in the rate of lint removal eventually turns into a big difference in the amount of lint in the hair.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    When I run into issues with her hair (or even mine when it starts to get velcro-y) I find that holding the tangles with one hand and pulling a few strands out of the knot works best. This way I am pulling a few hairs at a time straight up and parallel to the other hairs. These types of knots seem based mostly on twisting, often with a tangled piece of lint anchoring the strands together and this has worked best for me.

Also, I'm surprised you run into this with coarse hair, but maybe because it's a tad heavier than mine? Huh. Good luck though. This must be frustrating.
    Yep. Even what appear to be intractable big knots/pre-dreadlocks almost always yield to this technique...find the hairs that come out easily, and eventually the whole knot falls apart (with or without a core piece of lint). This likely would be much more difficult if the knot was closer to the scalp.

YMMV! Even though EdG and I have the same hair type, I never get scalp tangles even if I've gotten into a headful of tangly contaminants. I have noticed that my hair shafts emerge at nearly a right angle to the scalp, rather than lying flatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    The only time I get root tangles is in the wispy halo bits generally and I have found prevention is the best cure. Unlike my length tangles, these aren't usually lint-based for me but rather they are cause by too much wind. In the winter, I am always cold and wear a hat, so I don't get them. In the summer, if it is windy I cover it up with a Buff or a bandana. I also cover it when doing dirty jobs in general now and it stays a *lot* cleaner and less tangled.

I'm pretty sure Buff should be sending me a commission by now for how much I recommend them
    Haha! You with buffs and me with pony scrubs.
    I remember you said that the knots come out which implies that they are hair-over-hair rather than lint-wrapped-around-hair.

Lint has been the cause of all my mats/folds/tangles. Coarse hair gets lint too. The big pieces of lint are long gone. I am now down to lint that is so fine it is nearly invisible.

The biggest frustration is that the hairs that I am untangling are only a year old. They grew into the folds.

The biggest question may be "when does one consider hair to be free from tangles?"
    One thing that I use when there are a lot of fine contaminants in my hair is a fine tooth wood comb...I used this rather more when I was WO. Obviously this would have to follow a full detangle and preen. The fine teeth do get right to the roots of the hair.

Joules maybe gets to say "hair free of tangle" but for me? Never, something is always tangling.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xalis View Post
    I always detangle by hand, gently pulling the tangles apart with my fingers. When I brush or comb I go very slowly, waiting to feel the snag of a tangle.
    Then I stop, find the tangle, and gently detangle it. No matter where it is on my head, this is how I go about it. No inversion (or any other gymnastics!) necessary.
    Your hair is much thicker than mine though, EdG. As with everything YMMV and that's just what I personally do.
    I can't imagine the frustration of dealing with tangles tight to the scalp.

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think the explanation is that a small difference in the rate of lint removal eventually turns into a big difference in the amount of lint in the hair.
    Ed
    Hmm... IDK. But didn't you use a different method of cleansing? I shampoo-wash. I thought you were WO?

Type
    2a/C/iii

trolleypup - I should get a fine-tooth wooden comb. I know that tangles can pass right through the tines of my wide-tooth wooden comb.

lapushka - yes, I use water-only washing. I credit sebum for being a great lint remover because of its waxiness.
    Ed

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

0xalis - the untangling gymnastics become necessary as one's hair grows longer.

Joules - you have Houdini hair like TatsuOni.
    Ed
    Well I've had long hair before, never been necessary for me so far
    Just trying to get by

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

lapushka - yes, I use water-only washing. I credit sebum for being a great lint remover because of its waxiness.
    Ed
    That might be it then, as simple as that. Maybe water only doesn't remove as "much". At least that would be my thoughts on it.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka
    That might be it then, as simple as that. Maybe water only doesn't remove as "much". At least that would be my thoughts on it.
    I can't tell how much lint comes out during washing, but during combing I find much more lint on my comb with water-only washing than with shampoo washing. Sebum's waxiness causes lint to stick to the comb, which pulls the lint right out. That did not happen with shampoo washing. My conclusion is that waxiness is a useful property.

BTW, I tried immersing my comb (briefly). Really fine lint comes out in water. Less fine lint remains on the comb.
    Ed
    Last edited by EdG; February 18th, 2020 at 04:21 PM.