Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Question Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

I have been doing full-head henna for years now. I don't have too much gray coming in, but have always had some large streaks for lack of better terms coming in at a few spots on my hairline. I've toyed with the idea of stopping henna altogether, but I do like how healthy it keeps my hair. If I start doing a 50-50 mix henna/cassia will it make any impact on gray or white hair at all, and will it last? I know the permanence of henna, but I don't know what to expect if I mix. I did do just cassia years ago as a deep conditioner of sorts since I heard it was all the goodness of henna without the color, but it seemed drying so I never considered adding it to a color or conditioning mix. I also figured if I tone down the henna now, it may make the eventual transition to gray less impactful...Thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

YMMV, but if it does cover the greys it will be bright orange unless you do enough henna applications to make it darker. If your goal is grey coverage and if I were you, I can't say I would cut the henna with cassia unless you're looking for the brighter, more orangy shades. I would collect greys and strand test, and if the strand test works (that is, henna sticks), if the color is not what you want on the initial application, I would I would repeat applications until it hits the shade you want, then do that many applications on your greys.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

thanks for your input. i thought about it and figured i can henna over the grays if it seemed too orange. i did it saturday, probably more like 60/40 henna to cassia, and it worked really well. the grays did take the color (yay), and it's more of a muted copper color. it works well, actually. the rest of my hair just seemed to get a copper boost, not really darker. i think i need to order me some more cassia, lol. i had two people in one day compliment my hair and ask if the curl and color was natural.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I am a bit late but I have just done a strand test with a few grey hair in it (and by grey I mean competely white) and honestly it came out good. I mixed like 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia. The question is how it will look like after a few washes.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    I am a bit late but I have just done a strand test with a few grey hair in it (and by grey I mean competely white) and honestly it came out good. I mixed like 1/3 henna and 2/3 cassia. The question is how it will look like after a few washes.
    Washing doesn't affect henna color except in a tiny fraction of people. Time will change the color though. Freshly hennaed hair will oxidize over 2 or 3 days and during that span the color will change until it reaches its final shade
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    Washing doesn't affect henna color except in a tiny fraction of people. Time will change the color though. Freshly hennaed hair will oxidize over 2 or 3 days and during that span the color will change until it reaches its final shade
    Yeah, I am waiting for the colour to oxidize to see how it will look like on my hair.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I have a few grays and do a 100g cassia, 5g henna (yes, only 5 grams!) treatment once a month. My grays look golden - I love it!
    1b/1c F ii

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by czech it out View Post
    I have a few grays and do a 100g cassia, 5g henna (yes, only 5 grams!) treatment once a month. My grays look golden - I love it!
    So good to know! I have to admit, I love the results of 60/40 but will probably go more cassia/less henna next time. I like the lighter, more golden look, and my darker hair will do better with less color layering going forward I think. And slowly phasing out the heavy-handed henna will make it easier if/when I do decide to transition to let the natural gray come out and play.

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Can I buy cassia tea? I can't find the powder?
    Growing virgin hip length

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    Can I buy cassia tea? I can't find the powder?
    No, pretty sure you need the herbal powder of cassia obovata (also written as Senna italica).
    I think the variety called Senna alexandrea is equally good or even better, but I've never seen it locally.
    'Cassia' may sometimes refer to more than a single plant. In ancient times even some kind of cinnamon was called Cassia, I think
    Last edited by SleepyTangles; March 18th, 2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...