Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    No, pretty sure you need the herbal powder of cassia obovata (also written as Senna italica).
    I think the variety called Senna alexandrea is equally good or even better, but I've never seen it locally.
    'Cassia' may sometimes refer to more than a single plant. In ancient times even some kind of cinnamon was called Cassia, I think
    I googled cassia and the result was senna italica which we consume here as a tea,usually when having constipation problems. So I figured I just grind the tea
    Growing virgin hip length

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I was just wondering, is it possible that henna cassia mixture sticks less to coarser hair? I don't think it is fully coarse but I was told I have "strong" hair that doesn't hold waves or curls made by curling iron.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    I was just wondering, is it possible that henna cassia mixture sticks less to coarser hair? I don't think it is fully coarse but I was told I have "strong" hair that doesn't hold waves or curls made by curling iron.
    I never heard of there being an issue between F, normal and C hair as far as application of henna goes. I mean you can hardly get it out of your hair afterwards, so I'm betting it "sticks" to all hair types/textures. Maybe if it's low porosity (can't hold chemical services), then... possible.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I don't have a ton of gray, but what I do have is much more coarse than the rest. The henna/cassia mix, although lighter color as intended, produced good color which has retained until now. I am ready to do another since I have about 1.5 cm roots now. I will do a higher percentage of cassia in the mix this time and see how the more golden strawberry looks on those grays.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I have a few whites here and there but my natural hair has stronger texture. Not sure about porosity. I googled it and it told me to put one hair in a glass of water and watch if it sinks or not. Is that a reliable test? Because mine sank like a potato, which would mean high porosity? My problem might have been the mixture. I added more cassia than henna and it was just one application so maybe I need more of them.

Edit: so the hair went up which would mean low porosity but I have never experienced any issue with hair dyes not working on me.
    Last edited by Faraniel; March 25th, 2020 at 03:23 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have a few whites here and there but my natural hair has stronger texture. Not sure about porosity. I googled it and it told me to put one hair in a glass of water and watch if it sinks or not. Is that a reliable test? Because mine sank like a potato, which would mean high porosity? My problem might have been the mixture. I added more cassia than henna and it was just one application so maybe I need more of them.

Edit: so the hair went up which would mean low porosity but I have never experienced any issue with hair dyes not working on me.
    No the "sink" test isn't reliable much at all.

If dyes usually work on you, then I'm betting it's normal porosity.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    26/20/30
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I've tried with 50/50 amla and cassia and it didnt color my gray at all. How do you prepade your mix of 5g of henna and 100g cassia? Chamomile tea? How long do you leave it in? Thank you for your reply.

Length
    26/20/30
    Type
    2c/M/ii

New update, color didn't change on the grey hair, but overall my hair is much more shiny. This is after overnight soaking in oil.
    http://imgur.com/a/A31h167

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Very shiny and full, pretty hair, tevta. I planned to do this again sooner with less henna, more casssia but still haven't. My area of gray is actually a shiny white that I kinda like, but I did pull out my stash in case I get motivated to mix it up later today.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I had the same issue, the henna+cassia didn't stick at all (it washed out after the first washing). I want to try again if it gets better and this time I want to put it on freshly washed hair. Also my henna was getting really dry so I want to add more water to make it easy to apply. I did 1/3 henna, 2/3 cassia. This time I want to try half and half.