Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Covering gray hair with henna+cassia? Will it work?

Hey guys,
    My mum dyes her hair using blonde box dye but is experiencing a lot of breakage at the roots. I would love to steer her towards herbal dyes but can you actually achieve a blonde - ish colour over white hair using any of these herbs?

I saw chamomile tea mentioned, is that because it’s yellow?
    Thanks for any info

Edit just found the cassia faq thread :mindblown:
    Last edited by Tinyponies; July 4th, 2020 at 03:19 PM.

In my area, ground coffee beans, black tea, cocoa and walnut shells are often used together with henna. This makes it possible to give the strands luxurious shades of chocolate

Length
    Chin/Hip!/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I’m currently sitting with a plastic bag over my head, marinating a 60/40 henna-cassia mix. I had wanted to try henna since first discovering LHC but just recently built up enough courage to try (quarantine boredom probably had something to do with it). I strand tested with just straight henna to see what kind of colour I was going to get. Even though I had read that henna doesn’t make much of an impact on dark hair, I guess mine just wasn’t as dark and I thought, because it came out ORANGE! After playing around with ratios (and using up all the hair my brush collects), I found a 50/50 mix added some colour but nothing drastic. I just want a subtle tint of red. I’ve since gotten used to the colour and decided I wanted a little more red, so that’s why I’m at 60/40 right now. I don’t have any greys so I can’t help in that regard. Fingers crossed that this mix works because I really don’t want to do this again for awhile. Henna is much more work than standard box dyes!

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I hope it comes out nice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Betazed View Post
    Fingers crossed that this mix works because I really don’t want to do this again for awhile. Henna is much more work than standard box dyes!
    More work for sure but at least it doesn’t smell like toxic waste like box dye does!!

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I hope you had great results, Betazed! I'm still doing about 60/40 henna/cassia right now on my head, but added a few tbsp of aloe vera powder. i again was going to see what my grays did-they actually come in white and bright and i kinda like'em, but one of my daughters and my husband think it's ridiculous to let the white's come in. honestly, i have lots of henna in my stash, so i guess i'll keep going with it.