Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it damaging to scalp to apply oils and never wash them out?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Is it damaging to scalp to apply oils and never wash them out?

Even my mom, who washes every 2/3 months, more 2 than 3 (exceptional). It's a long story but doctor recommended even, even my mom doesn't oil her scalp and it's not even sebum-y after those 2 months, 3 months is pushing it and you *can* then detect the "faintest" smell, but nothing like I have after a week!

But she doesn't oil her scalp either. If she colors she does it on as dirty hair as possible, and uses a mild cleanser after so as not to strip the color straight out.

That's my mom, though. YMMV, hugely that!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee+/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I'm assuming you know this OP but for the benefit of any newbies reading: always check the ingredients to make sure it's pure oil, and you probably don't want to use anything with mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum) either unless you are a rare unicorn who knows with absolute certainty that your scalp is definitely 100% okay with it
    Growing back to calf with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

OP, I guess it's the same as everything else: YMMV. So, if you really want to know The Truth For You, start slowly. Try a little bit. Leave it on a little while. Is it still all right? Be prepared to wash it out when you get to your own personal level of "I can't take any more of this." Honestly, nobody but you can answer your question.
    Somebody give me a magic wand I can wave and make everybody content with his or her own hair! If that same magic wand could also end all hair discriminatory attitudes on the part of society in general... A magic wand would be so grand...

Length
    NL/APL/ML
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Olive oil (natural - extravirgin) applied 12 hours before wash (entire hair + scalp soaked in) does wonders for my scalp; I mean it completely removes my dandruff and keep it off until the next wash. I've been using it for 2+ months and I'm dandruff free!
    The road to others passes through you.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielina View Post
    Olive oil (natural - extravirgin) applied 12 hours before wash (entire hair + scalp soaked in) does wonders for my scalp; I mean it completely removes my dandruff and keep it off until the next wash. I've been using it for 2+ months and I'm dandruff free!
    I've never heard this work for "regular" dandruff. Because the yeast that's on the head causing it will "eat" oil and reproduce.

Are you sure it's that? Have you ever been to a dermatologist, maybe it's something else, like eczema or psoriasis.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)