View Poll Results: Maintaining Thickness - Do as you go, or wait until you reach your goal?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • I maintained my thickness while I was growing my hair by trimming.

46 46.46%
  • I waited until my hair was as long as I wanted it and thickened it by maintaining length.

37 37.37%
  • CHEESE!

16 16.16%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Thickness - While you grow or after?

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Maintaining Thickness - While you grow or after?

Option 1 has worked for me so far from APL to MBL. I have been trimming every 2-3 months, 1/4-3/4 inch, depending on the need. My hair is thin and I prefer quite blunt ends. That's why I don't even S&D because I feel even that will show as unevenness Now I'm getting a little bit impatient and would like to reach WL soon - but I think my ends split some bit so I don't dare to stop trimming. I have just now started to wear my hair braided when sleeping and most of the day too - maybe that will help with the splits.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL CL
    O
    n a Long Hair Journey since 10/2018

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Possibly will vote option one, I'd have to cope with 20 years or so without cutting (I'm aiming for floor)and I have issues going longer than 3 months without trimming, length though is starting to be more important than dying/cutting. We will see though what I say an end up doing is completely different
    Shoulder+ by my 40th (May 2025)
    Buzz>>>Pixie>>>Chin>>>Shoulder
    Growing to Bleached Terminal

I maintain the thickness as I grow. My hair isn’t very thick to begin with, and various sheds take their toll. I’d like to reach my goal (whatever that is!) feeling happy with my hair, and for me, that means being happy with the hemline.

I tend to think about it a year at a time though. I maintained last year, so this year my hemline is fine without trimming for a while.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My problem is that the less I trim, the more damage I get, and the more damage I get, the harder it is to deal with my hair because of tangling and knotting. I hate fighting with my hair, so I trim.

Length
    Waist/TBL/Hmm
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I voted for the second option but I now realize it does not really describe what I do... Should have picked cheese.
    I have an "in-between" approach. When I started actively growing my hair I was anxious to get to some length that actually *felt* long, that I had never reached before.
    This happened when I hit tailbone. I'm now satisfied with the length, which feels amazing
    So for two-three years I did trim but not much and not often. Maybe two centimeters (a little less than one inch), once or twice a year.
    As a result my ends are very thin. I'll spend at least one year maintaining the length to thicken them up.
    But I'm not done growing yet! My original goal was classic, and since then I contracted LHC-itis and am really curious about knee length.
    I alternate between "full-speed growth" and "enjoying the length while thickening up" phases.
    Midback ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Buttcrack ~ Tailbone! ~ Classic ~ Fingertip? ~ Knee??
    Now happily maintaining tailbone length. I'm not done growing though... Just waiting for my ends to thicken

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I voted the first. And not only occasional or random trimming either. I trim every 6 weeks and always have.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

The second option has turned out to be the better solution for my hair. Tried the first, but after every trim it ended up shorter than before.

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Since I never wear my hair down and since the thin ends are great to tuck under a bun I never trim. I haven't trimmed in three years as of tomorrow and I don't intend to trim for at least another year. I do look forward to trimming to maintain when I reach my goal of classic length.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I am a trimmer, always have been, so I voted for maintain as I grow.

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I guess I'm one of the odd ones because I actually prefer some tapering down at the hem instead of being full and thick. Not the split end taper of course. It could be some soft layering or the natural growth as it slowly tapers the longer it gets. I do like everything to sit at an even shape though, but I think it's pretty when the thickness gradually thins down to the hem