Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right to be forgotten

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Right to be forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Oh, does this have to do with the new internet privacy standards? I do appreciate the motivation behind them. I'm not personally concerned with LHC, but I do advocate for sites supporting features like "right to be forgotten".
    Yup this is what I was after. Though EU Right to be forgotten is older than GDPR but has been given more limelight of recently.

Both ethics and practically there are just so many sites with usernames/passwords and whats not.

I understand the concern about thread continuity - however association to owner should be deleted but keep the content intact as it is never *supposed* to be about *who* but more like *what*.

Also all raw/unorganised data like discussions should go thru it's telogen phase, I do belong to that camp.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    And somehow sometimes deleted things creep back up because the mods can drag it out of the deep black hole of forgotten stuff.
    Yes, the forum software supports this.

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    Oh, does this have to do with the new internet privacy standards? I do appreciate the motivation behind them. I'm not personally concerned with LHC, but I do advocate for sites supporting features like "right to be forgotten".
    The forum software does not currently support this (at least not our version), but I would not be surprised if vBB is working on this for other versions.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    CBL/HL/CL
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Even if all a user's posts were deleted today, the fact that they were visible on a public website yesterday means that they will likely have been archived somewhere. There are several publicly available internet archive services that do this, not to mention personal archives maintained by individuals who have downloaded websites onto their own computer, intentionally or even unintentionally.

There are ways to try to remove data from these places, and laws can make things harder to access through certain platforms and search engines, but ultimately anything that was ever publicly accessible on the internet should be considered public for ever.

This doesn't mean that the website on which the data appeared "owns" the data. I think it's important we understand that whatever we post publicly on the web cannot be taken back.
    Images in old threads not showing up? Try the image fixer browser extension.

Length
    28"/35"/clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I totally get where you're coming from, and I know how scary internet privacy (or lack thereof) is. But one of the best things about this site is that there's a sense of community beyond what you'd find anywhere else on the net, because people are actually accountable for what they say. Because posts are permanent, and connected to your single LHC persona, there's an incentive to be polite and supportive. A "delete all posts" feature would destroy that, trolls could post nasty things and know they'd never have to take responsibility for whatever they said.
    .................................................. ............... .......
    ................................ ......................................BSL-MBL-WL-HIP-BCL-TBL-CLASSIC

Is this fred about me?

Delete me please

Or whatever ya do

bumping till it's done

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by iforgotmylogin View Post
    bumping till it's done
    A more productive approach would be to contact a mod directly or report your own post.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

I don't know what privileges which mods possess, champion