Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old newbie, hello all! :)

Default Re: Old newbie, hello all! :)

Waves to everyone! :-)
    Thank you for your advice, shaluwm agape. I had no idea what a clarifying wash was until I joined this group. I have so much to learn!
    Is there any shampoo that you recommend?
    I got fed up this morning and used my partners Head and Shoulders, my hair looks and feels a million times better.
    Been battling with trying to get shampoo bars to work, but the greasies and waxyness get the better of me and I haven't yet got round to trying apple sauce masks and things like that, I don't have loads of time to experiment.
    The only shampoo bar that makes my hair look nice, are some of the Lush ones.
    Is that to do with SLS? My hair likes shampoo with that in, is that a bad thing?

Sorry, forgot to say that because the shampoo was making my hair look and feel like ****, I washed everyday. But then I didn't use conditioner, and put it up wet. I've been totally doing all the wrong things. No wonder it never looks nice!

Account closed by member request
    Length
    11CBL/33"HL/40CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

JR leggets shampoo bars are pretty good and decently priced the most expensive one I saw was $12 US and they have many different sense so you can choose any of them it won't leave your hair greasy or waxy
    If you want to try something that is more DIY I would suggest a oat milk rinse and definitely massage it into your scalp

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MummaNatural View Post
    Sure!
    My hair is dead straight, although when I did attempt going no-poo, which I was water only, it had a very slight wave. I didn't do it for anywhere near long enough mind you, and the greasies got the better of me.
    I don't suffer with any scalp issues, apart from getting spots when I use certain shampoos, so I use sulfate free stuff, like Green people, or Faith in nature. Problem though, my hair hasn't really looked nice since I started using shampoos like that. My hairdresser gave me some Joico daily care and my hair never looked better, but a big part of me can't deal with the thought of using something that is loaded with things that I think aren't too good for me, (long story, due to skin issues and childhood stuff.) Although I am slowly coming around to the fact that if I want what is best for my hair and want it to look nice, I need to do what it wants me to do! Baby steps.
    Anyway, my hair is a dark blonde, but I stupidly mixed my henna with stuff that made it way too dark, so currently growing that out, the joys of not researching properly!
    Length is nearly at breast, recently had a few inches chopped off to get it all to one length, and to get rid of some damage.
    I very occasionally do oil treatments, but not really sure which oil is best to use.
    I love the idea of never having to use shampoo again, but that's time consuming and takes a lot of experimenting, and I just don't have the time with a little one at the moment.
    I am currently waiting for a Lush shampoo bar to arrive, heard some good things, and it has sulphates, so my hair will most likely look better. Conditioner wise, I've no idea what is good for my hair.
    Sorry this is so long!
    Thanks for replying.
    Maybe do WO, and to clarify and re-set once in a while, use a sulfate shampoo? Or, is that too simplistic? I agree though, baby steps.

I myself wanted to go sulfate free and even CO-wash, but I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis and my scalp was having none of it, so I need to stick to sulfate shampoos, it's just what makes my scalp happy, and happy scalp = happy hair after all.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/WL/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

If your hair is responding well to what you have on hand (like your husband's shampoo) then why not continue with that for a while as you read more here. From your description it's possible you have 1b/1c F hair. Why not keep your routine simple to begin with: shampoo and condition. Stretch your wash to every other day and on wash day apply an oil of your choosing from the earlobes down before you shower. Meanwhile, keep it braided or bunned to protect your length. This could be a simple starting routine for a couple weeks before you buy new things to try etc.

Check out the threads for fine hair and the threads about non conventional haircare if those speak to you.
    I have experience with JR Liggits shampoo bars (as was referenced in passing). Depending on the water in your city, they can either work great or prove to be waxy. Nonetheless diluted white vinegar mixed into water can make a great rinse after the shampoo bar. With a routine like that, you may find your hair would do well with light oiling between washes in lieu of conditioner. Argan oil or jojoba usually work well for those of us with Fine type.

I reread and see now you ordered a Lush bar. Consider using it by itself for your first wash to see how your hair responds. From there you'll know if you need conditioner, as some who do shampoo bars find the bar to be sufficient as is. Since your hair has henna, you may be doing ok regarding protein, so you could look at the ingredients of conditioner and choose one without them. A nice light conditioner (in my experience) is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. Something to consider if you need a jumping off point.

Welcome and all the best

patchoulilove

Length
    chin/WL/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Also, many here enjoy using SLS and have similar experience with their hair responding well. There's no bad only "ymmv" (your mileage may vary) an TLHC way of saying to each their own.

I've seen these, but have yet to try. I've tried a handful of shampoo bars, but apart from Lush, they all leave a waxy residue.
    I have found them on Ebay for £12 as I live in the UK.
    Worth giving them a shot I reckon, thanks for the recommendation. :-)

Thank you to everyone who responded to me. You have all be very helpful. I need to learn how to reply properly to individual people though, and remember names, I'll get there in the end!
    I think I need to slow down a little and be patient with one thing at a time.
    For simplicity, I shall keep using the Head and Shoulders as it's the only shampoo I have here at the mo, until my Lush bar arrives. I shall purchase a conditioner, and do the oiling as recommended and see how I get on with that for a few weeks, perhaps doing WO in-between some washes to stop me shampooing too often? I'll have to play around with that.
    After that I shall use my Lush bar and see how that goes,
    and at some point I shall purchase a Jr Liggett bar and experiment.
    Baby steps indeed.
    Much appreciated.
    :-)

I keep forgetting to say things, sorry! It's late and I'm being attacked by stickers and colouring crayons. I really need to learn some proper protective styles. Anyone know where I can buy more time? I looked on ebay, alas, they were all out! 🤣
    Well, I have made a note of YouTube channels to learn buns and whatnot.
    Sounds like the start of an exciting new journey!

Length
    chin/WL/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Haha! Keep us posted on where we can buy more time once you find a shop that's selling it! Cheers