Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Eh, it depends how often they normally bathed the rest of the time

TMI alert
    When I first started, I was genuinely perplexed because I couldn't have a bath so what was I going to do about washing my hair? I was told that of course you can still have a bath (we didn't have a shower then) but I've never been convinced - who wants to bathe in that?! Or wash their hair in that same water?! I guess it doesn't help that I feel that way about baths in general anyway, bathing in one's own dirt ... I think I probably washed my hair over the bathtub, and was exceptionally grateful when we did acquire a shower.

The only actual Old Wives' Tale I can recall is crusts giving you curly hair - I think I heard that broccoli would give you curly hair too, and I love the stuff, but alas

My sister (in her 20s) used to think until about a year or two ago that your 'baby hair' was hair you'd had since you were a baby ...

Oh, if you cut a baby's curl off it might not grow back - except that seems to prove true reasonably often. Why is that?!
    Continuing with more TMI:
    I hate baths (and even pools!) but I always heard that if you're in the bath, it somehow gets "plugged up" and won't come out as long as you're in the water. I've never tested this.

ETA: About the baby curls, my daughter will be four next month and has not yet had a haircut because I LOVE her curly hair and I'm so afraid they will go away forever.
    She was nearly bald until she was two and then her hair grew in curly, and is still growing in curly, and my MIL has curly hair... but I'm still worried. Her curls are so gorgeous.
    Last edited by AmaryllisRed; January 26th, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurab View Post
    I've heard this one but about getting sick!
    I'm not sure why people think wet hair leads to sickness, but some people still do apparently.

Another one I've heard is if you dye your red hair it'll never go back to it's natural color. I knew a girl in high school who didn't dye her hair specifically for this reason.
    My husband and his sister both have vibrant red hair. She started dyeing her hair in high school and now has a natural colour not dissimilar to badly dyed blonde. He never dyed his hair and still has the red colour. Apparently it’s a hard colour/shade to achieve with dye so she’s not happy about the damage.
    ​So...knee?

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I’m familiar with the “bread crusts for curly hair”, not that mum cared two jots. I had curls, and no amount of diet adjustment was going to change that so I ate my crusts without argument.

I’m also familiar with the “100 brush strokes a night”; it always seemed more applicable to the school stories and history novels than to life as I knew it.

Its interesting to read some of the hair myths. So many of them seem to cover multiple continents and cultures.
    ​So...knee?

Eh, it depends how often they normally bathed the rest of the time

TMI alert
    When I first started, I was genuinely perplexed because I couldn't have a bath so what was I going to do about washing my hair? I was told that of course you can still have a bath (we didn't have a shower then) but I've never been convinced - who wants to bathe in that?! Or wash their hair in that same water?! I guess it doesn't help that I feel that way about baths in general anyway, bathing in one's own dirt ... I think I probably washed my hair over the bathtub, and was exceptionally grateful when we did acquire a shower.
    Yes, but I would think that a person would not bathe solely for the reason of washing their hair-- that is, they wouldn't think "gee my body doesn't need bathing but my hair sure does!" (I don't know anyone whose hair gets dirty/smelly before their body does.) Conversely, anyone who's not worried about the cleanliness of their body is probably also not worried about the cleanliness of their hair (or, to get downright explicit about it: if someone can go for a week or more during their period and be unoffended by the smell of their own body, I can't imagine there's anything that their hair could do that would offend them that they'd feel the need to wash *that* during that time but not the rest of them). So, if the concern was of what might, um, get into the water, then they would be told not to bathe at that time at all, not only to just avoid washing their hair... so I'm thinking there's something to it besides squeamishness.
    Last edited by Kat; January 26th, 2020 at 09:08 PM.

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I was told that if I sleep in a ponytail my hair would grow faster. Of course it never worked

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCLTBLWristClassic!FTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 42,5" - 108cm
    My little braid thread

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

The ones I can recall that I've heard..

- If you shave your head it will make your hair grow faster. This girl I knew claimed her hair grew fast because when she was a toddler her grandpa shaved her head. Her hair grew at a normal rate xD

- That extreme trauma can give white streaks. I think recently some studies were done showing that stress does make grey hair appear..but who knows.

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Yes, but I would think that a person would not bathe solely for the reason of washing their hair-- that is, they wouldn't think "gee my body doesn't need bathing but my hair sure does!" (I don't know anyone whose hair gets dirty/smelly before their body does.) Conversely, anyone who's not worried about the cleanliness of their body is probably also not worried about the cleanliness of their hair (or, to get downright explicit about it: if someone can go for a week or more during their period and be unoffended by the smell of their own body, I can't imagine there's anything that their hair could do that would offend them that they'd feel the need to wash *that* during that time but not the rest of them). So, if the concern was of what might, um, get into the water, then they would be told not to bathe at that time at all, not only to just avoid washing their hair... so I'm thinking there's something to it besides squeamishness.
    It would depend on what you’re doing. My hair doesn’t like getting wet without product, so I do occasionally shower just so I can wash my hair; especially if I’ve been swimming. The rest of me is fine, the hair is not. Ocean, swimming pool, creek; doesn’t seem to matter. My hair simply won’t do wet without product.

Sweat doesn’t appear to have quite the same result but honestly, the mop is a picky bugger so I’m waiting for the day it complains about being mildly damp from sweat.
    ​So...knee?

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    My husband and his sister both have vibrant red hair. She started dyeing her hair in high school and now has a natural colour not dissimilar to badly dyed blonde. He never dyed his hair and still has the red colour. Apparently it’s a hard colour/shade to achieve with dye so she’s not happy about the damage.
    I've seen such cases, tough I can't find a scientific explanation. Maybe it's years of sunlight, that kept his hair fiery?
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    I also heard as a child that if you chew on your hair, you'll get worms! It wasn't said to me but I overheard and it concerned me for years!
    That's what my mom told me. But she also told me I would get worms from drinking tap water and not sleeping enough. I never understood why. lol

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Oh, if you cut a baby's curl off it might not grow back - except that seems to prove true reasonably often. Why is that?!
    That happened to my middle son. He has had very curly hair. At his 2nd birthday his father shaved his head against my wish. After that his hair grew back straight.
    My youngest son has very curly hair, too. He got his first decent haircut at around 7 years. He's now 18 and still has lovely curls.