Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

  1. #11
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    583
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by FrayedFire View Post
    I was thinking to get some sort of actual underscarf, but I don't know what I want!
    This is my favorite kind I've ever gotten. I have them in four colors now and wear one most days. The back of it is large enough to accommodate a big ol' bun without feeling at all squished, which is so often a problem!

    Many people whom I know prefer the tube type to the cap type, though.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    589
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    This is my favorite kind I've ever gotten. I have them in four colors now and wear one most days. The back of it is large enough to accommodate a big ol' bun without feeling at all squished, which is so often a problem!

    Many people whom I know prefer the tube type to the cap type, though.
    I actually rarely wear a bun when I scarf, I usually just braid it and either let it dangle or wind it around my neck. I'm not sure which style I would prefer, but I love the lacey ones, so pretty!

  3. #13

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    This is my favorite kind I've ever gotten. I have them in four colors now and wear one most days. The back of it is large enough to accommodate a big ol' bun without feeling at all squished, which is so often a problem!

    Many people whom I know prefer the tube type to the cap type, though.
    Oh, I've never seen that kind of cap before... that looks interesting! And tidier to hold the hair.


    Quote Originally Posted by FrayedFire View Post
    I actually rarely wear a bun when I scarf, I usually just braid it and either let it dangle or wind it around my neck. I'm not sure which style I would prefer, but I love the lacey ones, so pretty!
    Yes, I would love to wear a scarf sometimes, but I don't know what to do with my hair under it. It seems no matter what I do, I end up with a big bump at the back of my head that makes my head either look elongated, or like I'm wearing the scarf to cover up some kind of awful growth on my head. (I know, some people use special padded shapers to purposely achieve this look, but I've never liked it on me; I prefer it to look smooth and sleek and not like "HEY I'M TRYING TO CONCEAL A BUNCH OF HAIR UNDER HERE!" Probably in part because I have a small head, so large hair/hats/scarves overwhelm my head/face... I mean, come on. My hair isn't even thick, so why does it take up so much space in all of the situations I don't want it to and none of the situations where I do?? {Buns and trying to put it under a scarf: annoyingly large. Braids and such: annoyingly thin.)

    I've tried buns... I've tried Heidi braids... I've tried tucking braids into a close-fitting snood at the back of my head... no joy. *sigh*
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

  4. #14
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    583
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Yes, I would love to wear a scarf sometimes, but I don't know what to do with my hair under it. It seems no matter what I do, I end up with a big bump at the back of my head that makes my head either look elongated, or like I'm wearing the scarf to cover up some kind of awful growth on my head. (I know, some people use special padded shapers to purposely achieve this look, but I've never liked it on me; I prefer it to look smooth and sleek and not like "HEY I'M TRYING TO CONCEAL A BUNCH OF HAIR UNDER HERE!" Probably in part because I have a small head, so large hair/hats/scarves overwhelm my head/face... I mean, come on. My hair isn't even thick, so why does it take up so much space in all of the situations I don't want it to and none of the situations where I do?? {Buns and trying to put it under a scarf: annoyingly large. Braids and such: annoyingly thin.)

    I've tried buns... I've tried Heidi braids... I've tried tucking braids into a close-fitting snood at the back of my head... no joy. *sigh*
    Two thoughts:

    1. Coronet braid? Since you can make it fall on the back of the head rather than around the crown, it wouldn't have the "weird growth" effect of Heidi braids. I wear coronet braids a lot, with or without the headscarf, and I find that it conceals the bulk of hair that I have very effectively.

    2. I don't recall what this hairstyle is typically called, but if I want to make the back of my head look really "flat" I sometimes put in a ponytail, split it into three or four sections, and pin down each section a la a cinnabun. The kind of thing, I mean, where you pin one curve of one section, and then the same curve of the next section, and so on and so forth, into a spiral. I feel like I'm explaining this so badly, but I know it's a common-ish style and has some sort of name! Ugh.

  5. #15
    Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,649
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    2. I don't recall what this hairstyle is typically called, but if I want to make the back of my head look really "flat" I sometimes put in a ponytail, split it into three or four sections, and pin down each section a la a cinnabun. The kind of thing, I mean, where you pin one curve of one section, and then the same curve of the next section, and so on and so forth, into a spiral. I feel like I'm explaining this so badly, but I know it's a common-ish style and has some sort of name! Ugh.
    Vortex bun?

    FrayedFire it looks really good! Sometimes I wish I could stand having things on my head to wear both pretty and practical things like that.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

  6. #16

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Two thoughts:

    1. Coronet braid? Since you can make it fall on the back of the head rather than around the crown, it wouldn't have the "weird growth" effect of Heidi braids. I wear coronet braids a lot, with or without the headscarf, and I find that it conceals the bulk of hair that I have very effectively.

    2. I don't recall what this hairstyle is typically called, but if I want to make the back of my head look really "flat" I sometimes put in a ponytail, split it into three or four sections, and pin down each section a la a cinnabun. The kind of thing, I mean, where you pin one curve of one section, and then the same curve of the next section, and so on and so forth, into a spiral. I feel like I'm explaining this so badly, but I know it's a common-ish style and has some sort of name! Ugh.
    There's nooooo way I'd ever manage a crown/coronet braid, lol. I've never even tried. I think for the second, you're describing a vortex bun? Those can be a bit flatter for me, but not that much, plus they're huge so I think it might contribute even more to making me look like a have a large elongated head? My head is just weird, I guess. Maybe there's something about the shape of it that accentuates the look.

    I'm actually wondering if a tucked French braid might not work... or just might make it worse!
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

  7. #17
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    583
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Vortex bun?

    FrayedFire it looks really good! Sometimes I wish I could stand having things on my head to wear both pretty and practical things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I'm actually wondering if a tucked French braid might not work... or just might make it worse!
    D'oh, yes, it's "vortex bun." Thank you!

    Honestly, a tucked French braid sounds ideal for minimizing bulk!

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    589
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    I've done a coronet braid, it's very easy, do sidebraid, then pin around head (I can't French braid much so I don't know how to do a crown but I like the easy version). However, I wouldn't recommend it for a headscarf. If your braid goes annoyingly thin, could you try leaving it loose underneath?

  9. #19

    Default Re: Head Covering Compliment + Bun Drop

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    D'oh, yes, it's "vortex bun." Thank you!

    Honestly, a tucked French braid sounds ideal for minimizing bulk!
    Kind of, but, it does increase the size of my head and make it look larger in back. But at least it's more consistent than looking lumpy with a bun or something. I'm going to have to try it one of these days...
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •