Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Trekkie hairstyles for an OC? <3

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Help with Trekkie hairstyles for an OC? <3

I think a lazy wrap ponytail would look good and not be out of place. It would still allow you to show off your length, be easy and no fuss. Anyway, it sounds like so much fun. It's something I've always wanted to do, but haven't made it happen yet.

APL ~
    BSL~ Waist ~ Hip ~TBL ~ Classic????
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii

You could do a variation on a braided crown.

(And I loved seeing this question! I was just looking up Cardassian hairstyles the other day... but, you wouldn't want that for your character!)

Length
    22"/Knee/Floor
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to play with braided crowns, they're giving the look I wanna go for with Lt. Tyr! <3
    Hip--BCL--Classic--Fingertip--Knee--Mid-Calf--Ankle

Growing long and strong!

Length
    26/FTL/47
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Sorry I'm late to the party! I was looking for a website but had forgotten the name. The pictures are defunct, but here are some fun ideas for the future.

Analysis (whoo, scientific): This style is worn by a minor character in The Next Generation episode Descent. As far as I can see from the pictures, it looks as if the hair is separated into a few large sections and braided. Then the braids are coiled and twisted around into rather random-looking knobs on the head. You can see the top section is piled rather high on her head (pictures 2 and 4) while the back section is visible at the sides of her head when she's looking straight ahead (picture 2). It looks like there are two bottom sections of hair and one on top; you can sort of see a part down the bottom half in picture 3 while there is no part in the top half in the other pictures.

Directions: Separate your hair into a top and a bottom section. Pull the top section up and gather it at the top of your head. Braid it tightly. Now separate the bottom section into two equal portions and braid these tightly as well. Now coil the top braid around in the same general shape as in the pictures, namely a couple "knobs" on top of the head, tucking the ends underneath and pinning it. The bottom sections are more spread out along the sides of the head. Coil them around and pin them, making sure they show on the sides of the style enough. That's it!

From imaginary styles
    View from the back
    Top angle
    Side angle
    Webpage for reference

Other than that, my impression is that you can do any kind of updo, really, provided you do some styling. At least for Next Generation, anything goes as long as you've got some volume on top. Vintage hairstyling techniques might help. Lots of hair
    Captain Janeway

And as a comparison:
    Some 1950s updos
    Some African American hairstyles from the 40s and 50s
    1940s hair (ignore the flowers)

The main things seem to be sleekness (unless you're Deanna), volume (often in front in a sort of pompadour), smooth braids and twists, and/or structure. Most hairstyles that aren't short and loose fall into one or more of those categories. I think vintage hairstyling techniques could lend a hand. Granted, I am most familiar with Next Generation and haven't seen Deep Space Nine, so correct me if that doesn't continue to hold true.
    Last edited by Entangled; January 17th, 2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

The man who takes joy in the world for any length of time in these present days of struggle must live through much that he loves and much that he hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    Sorry I'm late to the party!

Granted, I am most familiar with Next Generation and haven't seen Deep Space Nine, so correct me if that doesn't continue to hold true.
    DS9 was set in the same time period and in the same timeline as TNG, in fact the pilot episode has the Enterprise-D delivering Miles O'Brien to the space station to report for duty.

Where it differs is that DS9 is a repurposed space station built by the Cardassians and manned by a blended crew, Federation and Bajoran.

Consequently, a lot of this stuff that went on in DS9 would not be considered canon for a Federation officer.

Though the fact that her character is Bajoran does give her certain leeway, the uniform standards were officially relaxed as part of their own version of an affirmative action plan.

Briefly mentioned by Ensign Ro.

Length
    26/FTL/47
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cjk View Post
    DS9 was set in the same time period and in the same timeline as TNG, in fact the pilot episode has the Enterprise-D delivering Miles O'Brien to the space station to report for duty.

Where it differs is that DS9 is a repurposed space station built by the Cardassians and manned by a blended crew, Federation and Bajoran.

Consequently, a lot of this stuff that went on in DS9 would not be considered canon for a Federation officer.

Though the fact that her character is Bajoran does give her certain leeway, the uniform standards were officially relaxed as part of their own version of an affirmative action plan.

Briefly mentioned by Ensign Ro.
    Ah! That makes sense. Once I finish TNG I’ll watch Deep Space Nine.

I wanted to add one thing: one of the biggest things for Star Trek as opposed to other sci-fi series is that at least for Starfleet officers, few if any visible hair fastenings or adornments are used (again, with Deanna Troi as an exception).

The man who takes joy in the world for any length of time in these present days of struggle must live through much that he loves and much that he hates.

...few if any visible hair fastenings or adornments are used (again, with Deanna Troi as an exception).
    And when they are they are very plain. I seem to remember some French barrettes, for instance. But they were either a dull black or brown that kind of matched the person's hair, and I think one other was that silver-colored metal that they like to call tritanium.

Rare but not without precedent.

They are fasteners. Not adornment.

Remember, despite the fact that they look like spandex pajamas these are uniforms.

Ah! That makes sense. Once I finish TNG Iíll watch Deep Space Nine.
    DS9 my fave after TNG

What it's like watching the start of DS9 for first time as a TNG fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYxdqsndIF4

Length
    pixie/pixie/40^
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Kai Winn, has a nice braided lattice looking bun.
    "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."