Thread: Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

I've been bedridden for a few weeks which means I've been watching crazy amounts of youtube. It seems like all kind of infused oils are/were the hype there and I was wondering if anyone here has tried any and what are your opinions on them? I'd really like to try a coffee infused oil for my scalp, even if it doesn't work 'miracels' just for the smell of it! Another I'd like to try with is ginger infused oil (maybe with coconut oil) just for the smell! Both of these linked videos state that they're beneficial for scalp but I wonder if that's just some bull for selling the thing or not. I resently found out that there's little to no scientific evidence for biotin to actually help with hair growth and I've started questioning everything.

Also I'm very sensitive to fragrance but apparently natural stuff doesn't hit me that hard. I've been using ~5% peppermint essential oil mix for a few weeks and don't get a nasty reaction/headache from it even though it has a quite strong smell. That's also a reason for me looking these 'bogus miracle oils' in the first place.

If there's anyone with experience or knowledge about these kinds of infused oils please share!
    from all of the colors of the rainbow to virgin hair to henna head
    CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HP - TBL
    CO-washes and braided buns

Length
    shldr/knee/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

Ginger can be an irritant so I would spot test it on your arm before putting a ginger infused oil on your head. If it's irritating, dilute and repeat until your skin can tolerate. Having an itchy scalp is miserable.

Coffee smell is fantastic. If you try it I'd love to know how it went so I can copy it!
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    Ginger can be an irritant so I would spot test it on your arm before putting a ginger infused oil on your head. If it's irritating, dilute and repeat until your skin can tolerate. Having an itchy scalp is miserable.

Coffee smell is fantastic. If you try it I'd love to know how it went so I can copy it!
    Thanks for the warning! I don't usually test anything but dive right into it but as ginger can be irritating I will try it on my skin before putting it on my scalp. Haven't had any problems with peppermint essential oil so far so I might have luck with the ginger one if I'll end up trying it out.

I'll be testing the coffee one this weekend (either with extra mild olive oil or coconut oil) and see what happens. My hair is naturally dark so I'm not even worried about it coloring/staining my roots.

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

I have done a few rounds of infused oils and I personally love it.

I infused my oil mix (made up of various oils including olive oil, clear castor oil, almond oil and vitamin E oil) with fresh rosemary stalks and fenugreek seeds. I left that out in the sun for 2 weeks and then strained the oil. I honestly love it. Its so effective in making my hair soft (especially on my damaged ends) and I have no idea why or what is doing that.

I don't really like olive oil so my next batch I will try a different combo of oils and also include some ayurvedic powder in the infusion.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Pretty sure that caffeine Is hydrosoluble, so fats won't do.
    Maybe you could add plain liquid coffee to an hair mask...
    Pixie! - Shingle - Chin-length floofball - Bob...

Length
    shldr/knee/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTangles View Post
    Pretty sure that caffeine Is hydrosoluble, so fats won't do.
    Maybe you could add plain liquid coffee to an hair mask...
    If I were to do a coffee oil I'd actually be most interested in the odor/smell and the potential darkening effect, and less interested in the caffeine. I've been interested in "browning up" my hair. But this knowledge has me wondering if it would work, if coffee itself is also hydrosoluble I might be out of luck! I may just have to try it and see. Unfortunately, it won't be any time soon with school.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tulirepo View Post
    I've been bedridden for a few weeks which means I've been watching crazy amounts of youtube. It seems like all kind of infused oils are/were the hype there and I was wondering if anyone here has tried any and what are your opinions on them? I'd really like to try a coffee infused oil for my scalp, even if it doesn't work 'miracels' just for the smell of it! Another I'd like to try with is ginger infused oil (maybe with coconut oil) just for the smell! Both of these linked videos state that they're beneficial for scalp but I wonder if that's just some bull for selling the thing or not. I resently found out that there's little to no scientific evidence for biotin to actually help with hair growth and I've started questioning everything.

Also I'm very sensitive to fragrance but apparently natural stuff doesn't hit me that hard. I've been using ~5% peppermint essential oil mix for a few weeks and don't get a nasty reaction/headache from it even though it has a quite strong smell. That's also a reason for me looking these 'bogus miracle oils' in the first place.

If there's anyone with experience or knowledge about these kinds of infused oils please share!
    Well I know more about them coming from a food safety perspective, and depending on how you are making them, they can be VERY unsafe.

The short story is they are safER if you infuse with dry ingredients, but using fresh leaves you open to botulism. And botulism is VERY dangerous, even if you are "only" applying to your scalp. Botulinum can be absorbed through mucosal surfaces (lips, eyes) or through any break in the skin, such as a scratch. The lethal dose is TINY and is measured in ng/kg (nanograms per kg) depending on how it gets into your system. The spores are equally dangerous if they get into a scratch or are inhaled. It is particularly dangerous to infants under the age of 6 months.

Here's the long of it:

https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/4385e/

Instructions for how to safely infuse oils. It must be heated. Oils made with fresh ingredients must be refrigerated and tossed after a month.

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Soj View Post
    Well I know more about them coming from a food safety perspective, and depending on how you are making them, they can be VERY unsafe.

The short story is they are safER if you infuse with dry ingredients, but using fresh leaves you open to botulism. And botulism is VERY dangerous, even if you are "only" applying to your scalp. Botulinum can be absorbed through mucosal surfaces (lips, eyes) or through any break in the skin, such as a scratch. The lethal dose is TINY and is measured in ng/kg (nanograms per kg) depending on how it gets into your system. The spores are equally dangerous if they get into a scratch or are inhaled. It is particularly dangerous to infants under the age of 6 months.

Here's the long of it:

https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/4385e/

Instructions for how to safely infuse oils. It must be heated. Oils made with fresh ingredients must be refrigerated and tossed after a month.
    Wow that's great information, thank you for linking that. I have been using fresh herbs in my oil infusion and will definitely switch to dried herbs going forward. Of course, I don't consume the infused oil in cooking but rather apply to my ends or scalp, but I would imagine it can be absorbed through the scalp so Id rather be safe. Thanks!
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I ended up trying spiced up coffee oil, mixed 3 parts olive oil, 1 part castor oil, 1 part coffee grounds, 1 part orange skin and spices to taste (cinnamon, cardamom, clove) and let it simmer 2 hours before straining. If I remember right I used 0,5dl measuring cup for 1 part. The smell was awesome but because I was using my peppermint EO mix, I didn't feel like adding another scalp oil to my weekly routine. So now I'm using it as oil cleanser or in ROO-method or just adding it to my ends as it is.

Out of topic: I ended up making another (small) batch of coconut oil, coffee, cinnamon sticks and whole cardamom and cloves for my DIY deodorant base and it was another success! Didn't really measure things but I think it was 4 parts coconut oil, 1 part coffee, 1 cinnamon stick and just threw cardamom and cloves in and let it simmer for about an hour. Strained suuuuper well and added 1 part baking soda and 2 parts corn starch until I was pleased with the consistency and poured it to an empty deodorant stick thing and let it harden in the fridge. This time 1 part = 1 tabelspoon. (I've done the same recipe without any smell for like 3 years but switched for a commercial deodorant for about 8 months so now was a perfect time to make stick version of my old DIY deodorant!)