Thread: Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Default Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

I've been bedridden for a few weeks which means I've been watching crazy amounts of youtube. It seems like all kind of infused oils are/were the hype there and I was wondering if anyone here has tried any and what are your opinions on them? I'd really like to try a coffee infused oil for my scalp, even if it doesn't work 'miracels' just for the smell of it! Another I'd like to try with is ginger infused oil (maybe with coconut oil) just for the smell! Both of these linked videos state that they're beneficial for scalp but I wonder if that's just some bull for selling the thing or not. I resently found out that there's little to no scientific evidence for biotin to actually help with hair growth and I've started questioning everything.

Also I'm very sensitive to fragrance but apparently natural stuff doesn't hit me that hard. I've been using ~5% peppermint essential oil mix for a few weeks and don't get a nasty reaction/headache from it even though it has a quite strong smell. That's also a reason for me looking these 'bogus miracle oils' in the first place.

If there's anyone with experience or knowledge about these kinds of infused oils please share!
    from all of the colors of the rainbow to virgin hair to henna head
    CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HP - TBL
    CO-washes and braided buns

Length
    shldr/clsc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Infused oils? Ginger, garlic, coffee...

Ginger can be an irritant so I would spot test it on your arm before putting a ginger infused oil on your head. If it's irritating, dilute and repeat until your skin can tolerate. Having an itchy scalp is miserable.

Coffee smell is fantastic. If you try it I'd love to know how it went so I can copy it!
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    Ginger can be an irritant so I would spot test it on your arm before putting a ginger infused oil on your head. If it's irritating, dilute and repeat until your skin can tolerate. Having an itchy scalp is miserable.

Coffee smell is fantastic. If you try it I'd love to know how it went so I can copy it!
    Thanks for the warning! I don't usually test anything but dive right into it but as ginger can be irritating I will try it on my skin before putting it on my scalp. Haven't had any problems with peppermint essential oil so far so I might have luck with the ginger one if I'll end up trying it out.

I'll be testing the coffee one this weekend (either with extra mild olive oil or coconut oil) and see what happens. My hair is naturally dark so I'm not even worried about it coloring/staining my roots.
    from all of the colors of the rainbow to virgin hair to henna head
    CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HP - TBL
    CO-washes and braided buns

Length
    3"/BSL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

I have done a few rounds of infused oils and I personally love it.

I infused my oil mix (made up of various oils including olive oil, clear castor oil, almond oil and vitamin E oil) with fresh rosemary stalks and fenugreek seeds. I left that out in the sun for 2 weeks and then strained the oil. I honestly love it. Its so effective in making my hair soft (especially on my damaged ends) and I have no idea why or what is doing that.

I don't really like olive oil so my next batch I will try a different combo of oils and also include some ayurvedic powder in the infusion.
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017