Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about going blonde with box dye very soon! I've been wanting to try this new formula box dye called, "Nice N Easy," shade 11 Ultra Light Blonde for a long time. I've used this shade before, and my hair turned to a nice bright golden blonde! I've been doing my research on it, and I've also learned that it is a color-lift, and it only lightens up to 2 shades. My natural hair color is, "medium brown/dark blonde." I will post a picture once it's done.

How many of you here use box dyes?

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Thinking about going blonde with box dye.

I've used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde but I'm naturally lighter then you.

Length
    Chin/SL/APL
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Goodness, let us know how it goes!
    Box dyes scare me so much lol, I've always been really afraid of damage, so I've never dyed my hair.
    But I know if you take good care of your hair after it typically isn't too bad, as long as you're not bleaching it several times in a short period of time.

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I don't use box dyes, I just buy peroxide and developer.

​Growing until I turn 50...........

Length
    BSL/TBL/CSL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I've been using boxed dyes for 47 years - Nice-n-Easy for many of them, but Revlon Colorsilk for the past several, as it seems to be easier on hair. After several chops (not due to damage), I am near classic again. Go for it! ETA: I only take care of roots, not the length.
    Last edited by Labs*R*Us; January 14th, 2020 at 08:52 PM.

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Box dyes ruined my hair, but it could have been user error. My hair is naturally a medium brown, and lifting even that completely destroyed it. Lift and deposits were just alright, but still, quite a bit. Since you also relax, I would be very careful as the combination can lead to a chemical cut. Maybe try a color wax or something of that nature.

Also, brown hair my lift to red/orange - that was my experience. To get an actual blonde, I needed to go to a salon, and my 'honey' highlights literally melted my hair off in some places. My hair could survive a lift to red/orange, but that was a pretty ugly color for me - think old penny color. Definitely strand test.
    [ SL | CBL | APL | BSL | WL | HL ]

stop the world, i want to get off.

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I've used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde but I'm naturally lighter then you.
    Me too have also used box dyes a lot including the ultra light blonde too before I darkened my hair to a dark brown. I've been using box dye for many years. I also bet that you are naturally lighter than me too.

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Labs*R*Us View Post
    I've been using boxed dyes for 47 years - Nice-n-Easy for many of them, but Revlon Colorsilk for the past several, as it seems to be easier on hair. After several chops (not due to damage), I am near classic again. Go for it! ETA: I only take care of roots, not the length.
    Wow! You've been using boxed dyes for 47 years? That's awesome! I've been using boxed dyes for 30 years now. Oh, I just love Nice N Easy. Oh yeah, I also agree with you about Revlon Colorsilk is a lot easier on the hair. Those are my 2 favorite boxed dyes. Thanks for the advice! I will most definitely go for it! Wow, you're near classic again? That's great! Yes, I know that once you've become a blonde you only have to touch up the roots. No, I don't ever do the length either. Because, it's already lightened.

Length
    ChinL/WL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Box dyes ruined my hair, but it could have been user error. My hair is naturally a medium brown, and lifting even that completely destroyed it. Lift and deposits were just alright, but still, quite a bit. Since you also relax, I would be very careful as the combination can lead to a chemical cut. Maybe try a color wax or something of that nature.

Also, brown hair my lift to red/orange - that was my experience. To get an actual blonde, I needed to go to a salon, and my 'honey' highlights literally melted my hair off in some places. My hair could survive a lift to red/orange, but that was a pretty ugly color for me - think old penny color. Definitely strand test.
    Ahhhhh, I'm so sorry to hear that box dye ruined your hair. I had an uncle that was going to beauty school, and he once told me to be careful with haircolor since I was both relaxing and coloring at the same time. He did say that haircolor can ruin your hair but it never ruined mine after using them for 30 years. I guess box dye isn't for everybody.

Yes, I know what you mean about when you have brown hair, and trying to lift it up to a blonde you experience red/orange results. Well, since I'm already light it lifts up to a golden tone since I naturally already have those blonde highlights. Oh yes, you are right with me being relax I have to be extremely careful. I'll be fine, and yes I will do a strand test. Thank you for the advice!

I have very dark hair, but went light blonde a few times as a youth with box dye instead of foils or hairdresser

It worked surprisingly well

Just had epic roots in short order lol